What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have let me know you were in the area.

I was only in the area long enough last week to pack bags and fly out, and yesterday was in nj from 12:30am to 5pm, then drove back up to upstate. I had thought about visiting some in the area today, but I have a red cross apt tonight so couldn't get too involved. I would like to make the trip again to do another nyc century bike tour; clark may not be able to do the tour this year, but I may do it again anyhow - it was a lot of fun! though if I do it again this year, if by myself i'm not as likely to breeze through stop signs and red lights like the 'locals' and nearby residents do! ;) (or ride the wrong way on one-way streets)

gnocci with spinach/pasta sauce

Last edited:
Ooh, Peter! Nice looking corn!

So I'm a day late but I was busy yesterday reading and participating in the barrage of related news/television/social food network celebrations but I must say to all the foodies on the forum:

Happy Birthday Julia Child!

Anyone have any favorite recipes? I am determined this fall to master (some) of the art of autumnal dishes such as Boeuf Bourguignon, French Onion Soup, and a soufflé.

Bon Appetit!

Last night at a Japanese restaurant in Kenosha, WI - Honado. Not a town where one would expect a good Sushi restaurant, but it is there and very modestly priced. Had Squid Yaki with ginger sauce that was out of this world tasty. The squid was not rubbery at all, which means the cook knew what he was doing at the grill and the squid was fresh. Followed by Tonkatsu, a pork cutlet, breaded and fried with tonkatsu sauce, which I think is like a worcestershire sauce but with a fruit flavor base to it. I thought maybe plum, but it is hard to tell. My friend had sushi, and pronounced it quite good, the best available without travelling south to Chicago.

@ Eric Muelhbauer - I got to invite myself over to dinner at your house. Wow, the seafood sounds excellent.

Leo- Let me know if you ever make it out east! I'm out at my Cutchogue place, and it seems like the weakfish have finally stopped biting, at least for now, so I had to go and buy fish. Marinated a small piece of swordfish and a piece of king salmon, along with a few Maya head-on shrimp in my usual marinade of orange and lime juice, with a little white wine, cilantro, tabasco chipotle sauce, olive oil and a little sugar. Before I grilled it though, I made a little salsa,or relish, whatever you want to call it, with corn scraped off the cob, diced cucumber, diced peach, cilantro, chives, lime juice, a little orange juice, and half a yellow bhut jolokia chili. Took the pepper out after a few minutes so it wouldn't get too hot....it was just right....for me, at least......

Soul food tonight, ribs! With angel hair pasta and a red meat sauce as the main side dish and of course greens. The cook's family was originally from Mississippi, via Detroit to settle in Chicago. Best greens I've had. Barbara uses a blend, mustard, collard & spinach. She goes light on the collard compared to the other two. Ribs were fall off the bone moist and tasty. Neither one would give me their rub recipe for the ribs, brother and sister were mute on that!

Angel hair with light tomato sauce tonight. Tomato sauce was made with blanched, peeled, and diced garden fresh tomatoes, chicken stock, fresh garlic and shallots that was reduced.

Briscuit, egg noodle, spinach and spiced soup from Beijing, with green tea cookies!!!! Mmmmmmmmm!!!!

Slices of bread filmed with ketchup (or tomato sauce), some green peppers slices, gouda cheese and (chopped) basil leaves... put in the oven for the chease to melt and served...yummy!

Home made pizza. with..Sauted chicken breast, mixed Italian herbs, Sauted green capsicum, Thinly chopped mushroom, Basil, garlic, Mozzarella AND chedder, Split green olives pickled with chilli, Italian tomato sauce, sea salt, cracked pepper, a few canned pineapple pieces, lots of chopped continental parsley, sprinckle of thyme, drizzle of olive oil, on a yeasted fine organic wholewheat base. DO IT NOW:drool:

leftover buttermilk banana pancakes filled with home-made vanilla ice cream and hershey's chocolate syrup, rolled up like a burrito (already), and leftover venison green chile potato, bean tomato stew (soon)

Went out to dinner tonight, but last night I went to an Asian market and bought a nice 3.16 lb lobster and some duck legs. Split the lobster with my wife, steaming it. After splitting it, a scooped out the roe and "green stuff" and stuck it under the broiler with some garlic butter. Earlier I roasted the duck legs with garlic, rosemary (from the garden), salt and pepper, and goose fat (from an earlier meal). Also roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli in olive oil. My son had the duck (and a claw), my wife and I enjoyed the lobster. Had a nice challah bread (it was Shabbos, afterall....) dipped in my mix of olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and chopped olives, washed down with some chardonnay. I'm hungry again already.....

Ginger steamed lobster, grilled sirloin steak, mushroom risotto and a mint, tomatoe and chili salad!

Back