What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm sounds good for a start!
tomorrow is dinner with uncle and cousins' families, will be making apple pie with oatmeal crumble topping, and either sour cream/blue cornmeal cornbread or pineapple-zucchini bread

Oh Dot, I could have used your stuffing recipe today - it sounds wonderful! Apples and cherries in it, mmmmm!

Our dinner: Roast turkey with dressing and gravy, Elsie's mashed potatoes (cream cheese, sour cream, butter, spices), asparagus with goat cheese, topped with bread crumbs and drizzled with butter, peaches and cream corn, homemade cranberry sauce, a horrifying jellied salad my hubby dubbed "Smirf" salad because half of it was Smirf blue, a nice green salad and trifle for dessert. Oink.

The other day I made roast goose! I fried purple potatoes and parsnips with red onions in the goose fat, and sauteed sliced red cabbage in, yes, goose fat (just a little) with a touch of orange juice. Tody we had our traditional Jewish Christmas. We saw a movie, then ate at a Chinese restaurant.

Today we had our traditional Jewish Christmas. We saw a movie, then ate at a Chinese restaurant.
:clap:

We currently have 13 different fresh fruits in the house if you'd like to include tomatoes and a butternut squash as fruits (since technically they both are). We also have watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, blueberries, pomegranates, fuyu persimmons, red grapes, apples, oranges, grapefruit, and fresh pineapple. I'd say for dinner we will definitely be having something which incorporates fruit! :p

Back to trayf for the last night of Hannukah. Seafood pasta.....miserable weather, so I just used what we had in the freezer and in the closet. Octopus and some other seafood in a red wine tomato sauce, with whole wheat pasta. Made "barbecue" shrimp for the octopus haters...in a butter-beer sauce, loaded with garlic, celery, hot pepper, and rosemary...which I ran out in the rain to clip.

Among other things, tonight I prepared a large, piping hot bowl of mashed, freshly-steamed turnips prepared with butter, salt, black pepper, and a splash of goats' milk. :D Delish!

Among other things, tonight I prepared a large, piping hot bowl of mashed, freshly-steamed turnips prepared with butter, salt, black pepper, and a splash of goats' milk. :D Delish!

Oh yum, that sounds marvelous! I haven't had mashed turnips for ever...:drool:

I actually had some bean stew that my stepfather made that also had turnips in it (tasted wonderful with some of his home-made green chile sauce). we were eating stew for four days (and it kept tasting better each day)

tonight will be venison stew including red/white onions, yellow potatoes, mushrooms, celery, carrots, wild black rice, quinoa, lentils, rosemary, bay leaf plus worchestershire sauce and other assorted tasty touches

forgot to add the sour cream cornbread made with blue corn meal! mmmmmmm

Last edited:
^ it all sounds fabulous!

My dinner tonight is much more mundane: Quorn burger patty, raw sugar snap peas, plain unsweetened almond milk, a small slice of verrrrry delicious, nutty, sweet, crystalline extra belegen Dutch Gouda cheese and a Bosc pear.

Not tonight, but last week I made mashed parsnips, with a little added mashed turnip...along with roasted garlic and some truffle butter.

I would love to try truffles/truffle oil or butter someday, but am afraid would get costly if I got hooked on it

last night had boneless pork chops/steaks, some lightly coated with olive oil and pressed with marjoram leaves and then garlic salt, black pepper and some other seasoning, and the other package coated with orange/ginger glaze mixed with hot pepper honey, all cooked in convection oven. finished off with spaghetti and home-made key lime pie/cheesecake (and I think a saranac amber lager)

The other night it was pan seared scallops, dusted in crushed almond, along with a huge garlic bread made from butter, fresh garlic finely minced, aome anchovy paste, and parsley....along with steamed organic asparagus and oven roasted organic kabocha squash.

The other night it was pan seared scallops, dusted in crushed almond, along with a huge garlic bread made from butter, fresh garlic finely minced, aome anchovy paste, and parsley....along with steamed organic asparagus and oven roasted organic kabocha squash.

hmm, that sounds good; so far today all i've had to eat are half a bag of veggie stix snacks (very crunchy and addicting, though only half the fat of potato chips ;) ). Seafood and garlic bread,.. and asparagus to boot mmmm

French omelette filled with kimchi, sweet corn and fresh coriander leaves, and a bowl of plain rice... just great! (and a bottle of beer - ok, two! :D)

home-made pot roast (1st time experiment); slipped alittle bit when adding ingredients, and when meant to shake a little crushed red pepper for the heck of it, ended up putting in probably two teaspoons! (my first liquid sip-test after a few hours made me cough a little bit) :eek:

I'm eating leftover kosher-for-Passover kugel...much better than matzoh! I really shouldn't be eating the kugel, though, but it's a treat I simply couldn't resist.

Latest posts

Back