Lepanthes calodictyon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
I just went through some old photos...and I missed some of my orchid species especially the Lepanthes...Here is my very favorite Lepanthes calodictyon which my orchid judge friend once thought it deserved a CCM if I put it up for judging....For all the AOS judges here, what do you think about it for current standard........
I wish more people would grow Lepanthes...
Note-- please read posts #5 and #6 for more details.

Attachments

• 13297-ec01311072b9b843750c2a6492296043.jpeg
    13297-ec01311072b9b843750c2a6492296043.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am having trouble this morning accessing my AOS account. Perhaps later.
However what the Orchid Wiz shows are three awards to this species. That of course is up to a year ago when the Wiz went under.
A 83 point CHM back in 1980 for a clone "Eichenfels" with 14 flowers and 2 buds on 16 inflorescences. That was the first award to the species.
Then a 91 point CCE back in 2011 to a clone "Miraculous Pudge' with 12 flowers, 45 buds on 80 inflorescences which makes little sense unless 35 inflorescences did not have a flower or bud and were just developing.
Then another CCE of 95 points given in 2016 to a clone "Vistamont" listed as having 20 flowers, 35 buds on 55 inflorescences. Plant seems to be of similar size to yours.
Now let me add my philosophy on Cultural Awards. These awards really do not go to the plant like a flower quality award. These awards go to the grower for their cultural skills. Whether it is 80 points or 99 points, cultural skill was involved. Where would yours fall??? It depends upon how the plant presents itself. Leaf condition would count heavily since the flowers are so small. The eyes are captivated by the leaves, that is only natural in a case like this. Not much in the way of trimmed leaves, missing leaves, etc. No fungal spots or very few.
If your plant was of similar size to Vistamont, then look for an CCE. if significantly lower, look for a CCM. How many points, I would not predict.

Okay, I was able to access my account. There was another award granted for Meritorious Arrangement, whatever that is. I never heard of it.
There is also another CCE from last year 2022. I did not copy down the number of flowers and such but this 2022 plant was much larger then yours. I also saw a picture of Vistamont, it too appears much larger then yours.

Last edited:
My photo "probably" was taken 8 years ago, ( just a year before I decided to get rid of my collection) ...the plant had close to 100 growths/leaves. @ the spikes/flowers--they come and go for Lepanthes. Sometimes a lot of flowers on mine and sometimes less...I never count them because the leaves are the most beautiful part of the plant.

Last edited:
The 2022 CCE was awarded to a slipper talk regular mordinwine (aka Tyler)
I saw that...a side-by-side photo comparison would be nice if I had permission from Tyler.

PS, the real point of this thread is that Lepanthes can be very beautiful, flowers are fascinating under a magnifying glass.

Last edited:
***(Student Judge)***
I also agree that it is a CCM. For a CCE on this species, I would look for most growths at least in spike. Bonus if most individual growths have 2 inflorescences in bloom simultaneously.

If these weren't such a pain to grow in an apartment I would say, "I'll take it!". :p
Leslie can help you with that--wine cooler set-up. Water quality is important for Lepanthes and most of the Pleurothallids.
If I become addicted again, I will build a special set-up and grow Pleurothallids(especially Lepanthes) again and some I/C miniature species.

Leslie can help you with that--wine cooler set-up. Water quality is important for Lepanthes and most of the Pleurothallids.
If I become addicted again, I will build a special set-up and grow Pleurothallids(especially Lepanthes) again and some I/C miniature species.
I have a couple Pleuros I got from you, I believe. It will have to wait until I retire to do the wine cooler. We only use RO water so water purity should not be an issue.

I love Lepanthes! When Lep calodictyon ‘Dana Lynn’ was awarded her CCE last year, I was in shock. She was just at the show as a last minute addition to my friend’s display.

When she was awarded, nearly every leaf had a flower. Those that were not in flower had a bud. The timing was truly perfect.

I’ll search for the award photo. In the meantime here is a video of her from a couple weeks ago.

Tyler
View attachment IMG_1298.mov

Here is the award photo and description. Sorry would have done this last night but was kind of fried after driving 3.5 hours to get to work.

“Twenty-nine flowers and fourteen buds sequentially blooming on twenty-two round, reticulated leaves well-displayed on a 10-cm by 10-cm plant on a 17-cm hardwood mount; red flowers minute.”

Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 2
"3.5 hours to get to work..." . . .

I hope you stay at a hotel for the week when you get there.
I work twice a month in the Bay Area California, usually for 2-3 days and stay at my in-laws. Its kinda nice to stay there rather than my former warehouse on a cot and a hose for a shower. Lol

Tyler

Here is the award photo and description. Sorry would have done this last night but was kind of fried after driving 3.5 hours to get to work.

“Twenty-nine flowers and fourteen buds sequentially blooming on twenty-two round, reticulated leaves well-displayed on a 10-cm by 10-cm plant on a 17-cm hardwood mount; red flowers minute.”

Tyler
What other Lepanthes are growing? Photos?

What other Lepanthes are growing? Photos?
Hey Tom. I’m growing around 20 species at the moment. Here are some pics, not high quality since I’m not a good photographer and I always have the iPhone in my pocket.

Edited: I could not label the pics, sorry. I’m an analog dude in a digital world.

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2325.jpeg
    IMG_2325.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2322.jpeg
    IMG_2322.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20242250 Lepanthes dalesandroi 'Cotton Candy' HCC-1.jpeg
    20242250 Lepanthes dalesandroi 'Cotton Candy' HCC-1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2162.jpeg
    IMG_2162.jpeg
    797.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    860 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey Tom. I’m growing around 20 species at the moment. Here are some pics, not high quality since I’m not a good photographer and I always have the iPhone in my pocket.

Edited: I could not label the pics, sorry. I’m an analog dude in a digital world.
20 species, that is a decent collection....I don't remember what I used to have, maybe just a few... besides the Pleurothallis.
Those are fantastic photos! Love them all...Thank you. I will go through my old photos and see what else I have...hopefully, I don't embarrass myself too much here or when Eric stops doing his haha......

It is not a competition(never intended). People can post their Lepanthes here any time...
Here are some old photos of my Lepanthes that I used to have in my orchid collection...

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1861.jpg
    DSCF1861.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1502.jpg
    DSCF1502.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010447.jpg
    P1010447.jpg