What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barbecued/smoked chicken with corn on cob, watermelon, salt potatoes and I think a brownie topped with melted marshmallows/chocolate rice krispies (vfw chicken barbecue fund raiser)

Not tonight, but tomorrows dinner: crab cakes! I just got back from my LI place, where I caught 12 blue-claw crabs in an hour...along with an extra one I caught yesterday. Today I steamed them in a bottle of beer, seasoned with salt, coriander, black pepper, mustard, bay leaf, parsley, cardamom, and a homegrown Trinidad Scorpion hot pepper. Tomorrow I shuck them (a long and tedious process, which is why I didn't do it tonight) and blend them with minced homegrown shallot, minced hot pepper (something less intense than a Trinidad scorpion or Jolokia), capers, a tiny bit of mayo, and cracker crumbs. Shape them into patties, freeze for a little while to firm them up, then fry them up! Eat them with homegrown sliced cucumber, homegrown Brandywine tomato covered in pieces of homegrown purple basil! Maybe cook up some of my homegrown collard greens too.

Sorry...ate them all before I saw this message. No photo. But, I'll get more crabs so I'll take photos. The crab cakes were great. I also added a homegrown Chinese long red string bean. Can't do much with 1 bean, but at 20" long, when minced it goes great in a crab cake! Also fried up some homegrown blue potatoes as a side!

that's cruel.. I haven't had lunch yet and I'm trying to lose weight!
(last night was two tunafish sandwiches on wheat bread; spring mix salad greens inside, thai red hot pepper sauce mixed into tuna with miracle whip; some chicken ramen noodles with dried seaweed flakes, parsley, black pepper and something else

Simple broiled salmon, with rosemary. Roasted fresh LI cauliflower, topped with a little parmesan, kasha with shiitake's, onions, a little bit of orange pepper and celery.

Today I am cooking up some true Kabocha squash. I'm going to steam it and mash it with a bit of butter and maple syrup. Kowalski in Hamtramck (Detroit area) makes just about the best fresh Polska Kielbaska money can buy. I don't live there so I'll have to find it locally or come up with another idea. Meanwhile I've got a homemade apple elderberry pie in the oven which should be coming out in about 15 minutes. Mmmm mmmmm! :drool:

Mark, we are 15 minutes from Newark Airport.
Our door is always open. :)

Had White Castle on Sunday.
Brand new building, in old location.
Half the workers shirts said trainee.
Burgers, and everything else, were terrible.

Wednesday will be a day for preparing something to eat using Nira Grass. :)

Mark, we are 15 minutes from Newark Airport.
Our door is always open. :)

Had White Castle on Sunday.
Brand new building, in old location.
Half the workers shirts said trainee.
Burgers, and everything else, were terrible.

:) Lobster and beer :drool:

White Castle used to be soooo good...soooo long ago! :rollhappy:

seems to be season for homemade soup; made homemade chicken noodle using chicken breast, plain old chicken soup stock, celery carrots mushrooms onion plus some chunky black pepper hot curry powder and some crushed red pepper, plus some concentrated ch. soup stock bay leaf and broad egg noodles

I decided to create a radically different version of old boring stuffed cabbage. I browned some ground beef, then sauteed onions and chopped portobellos. added a cup of kasha, browned it, returned the meat and a cup of beef broth. Meanwhile I steamed a head of cabbage. When the stuffing was done, I filled the cabbage leaves and put them in a baking pan. Then I sauteed sliced red onion, sliced portobello, and some whole shiitakes, and some sliced acorn squash. When translucent, I added dried porcini's along with their soaking liquid, and a cup of beef broth. Reduced it, then poured it over the stuffed cabbage and baked it in the oven another 20 minutes at 400 degrees. It was really good!

Buttermilk + Blue cornmeal pancakes, with Bananas inside, topped with Butter and Brown maple syrup, cooked in Bacon grease in a Black, cast iron frying pan; served with Bacon cooked in the convection Broiler, and fried eggs Bright side up/finished off underneath the oven Broiler :)

there have to be some amazing dinners being served last night and today! :drool:

Last edited:
Today:

Roast turkey with homemade dressing (9 grain bread cubed, giblets, apple, onion, celery, dried cherries), mashed potatoes (skins left on) with turkey gravy, sweet potatoes baked with fresh-squeezed orange juice & brown sugar, asparagus with a yogurt sauce, cucumber and onion salad, homemade cranberry relish, and for dessert: blueberry crisp with ice cream.

Latest posts

Back