What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asado negro.....done with a buffalo silvertip roast. Roasted in a marinade of sugar, vinegar, and red wine, with onions, leeks, red peppers. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts.

("Ramonian" recipe) Pumkin stuffed with seafood and coconut milk, baked at 200°C... plain white rice as side dish!

Asado negro.....done with a buffalo silvertip roast. Roasted in a marinade of sugar, vinegar, and red wine, with onions, leeks, red peppers. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts.
wow! great!!! :clap: did you know this a tradiotional christmas dinner in some places in Venezuela?

Ramon- I knew it was a Venezuelan dish...didn't know it was a Christmas dish though! I happened to see the recipe in the NY Times a few weeks ago, and finally had a chance to try it. It is good!

Ramon- I knew it was a Venezuelan dish...didn't know it was a Christmas dish though! I happened to see the recipe in the NY Times a few weeks ago, and finally had a chance to try it. It is good!
well, not exactly a christmas dish per se, but quite a tradition to serve it in christmas (as well as in other festivities) in some regions... together with Hallacas (the real christmas dish in Venezuela), Asado Negro belongs to my favorite dishes from Venezuela!

Kraut with (veggie) wieners and potatoes, a new year's tradition.

Good meal! I just went out to a Chinese market and brought back some duck, suckling pig, char siu, sauteed cuttlefish, stuteed Chinese broccoli, and some mei fun....had some friends over...a little too much Knob Creek followed by Pinot Noir, and then champagne...with a little sneak of tawny port in between.

Made up a new dish last night, after seeing what was in the market. My wife requested shrimp, so I bought a few jumbo shrimp...but the fish market also had some nice looking, though small, scallops, so I bought a few of those. Then checked out the Japanese market to see if they had my winter favorite, ama-ebi (small fresh shrimp from Maine and Canada, only available here in winter). They did! I got 2 packs, one to eat raw and the other to cook with. So...I pan seared the scallops in butter, then set them aside half cooked. Added some white wine to the pan to deglaze, then sauteed garlic, shallot, and chanterelles. Added more wine, and reduced it...also a little anchovy paste instead of salt. Then added some spinach...sauteed it until it shriveled, adding more wine as needed. Then I added the shrimp. When they were mostly done, I added some parsley,the scallops and remaining ama-ebi. Another minute, dinner was ready...served with a crusty baguette and the first asparagus of the season. Mexico, yes...but its much closer and tastier than Peru.

Monkfish...pan seared it in olive oil, then set it aside. Sauteed garlic, a little shallot, and a few pieces of chanterelle mushrooms in olive oil, then sliced asparagus. Added small amounts of wine (a Moselle riesling...the rest of which I drank) as needed. When nearly done, I put back the fish along with some raw sweet shrimp (the fresh Maine shrimp, much of which was eaten raw as a sashimi appetizer). Ate it with Italian bread and roasted brussels sprouts and asparagus....Yum!

Monkfish...pan seared it in olive oil, then set it aside. Sauteed garlic, a little shallot, and a few pieces of chanterelle mushrooms in olive oil, then sliced asparagus. Added small amounts of wine (a Moselle riesling...the rest of which I drank) as needed. When nearly done, I put back the fish along with some raw sweet shrimp (the fresh Maine shrimp, much of which was eaten raw as a sashimi appetizer). Ate it with Italian bread and roasted brussels sprouts and asparagus....Yum!

Ooh, yum indeed! That sounds tasty. We've got two weeks off from kid meals and are cooking lots of fish (which she won't touch.)

Summer rolls with shrimp last night…looking for a good fish recipe for next week so may try this, if I can find monkfish in this crazy town.

Latest posts

Back