What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm, sounds delicious. too bad i'm allergic to shellfish or i'd try that recipe for sure.

I ruined dinner tonight. I made a picadillo...should have been great...grass fed beef, onions, capers, olives, potatoes, apples and mango. But...to add some heat (NYEric, are you paying attention?) I added one of my homegrown peppers..a chocolate bhut joliokia. I cut the top off, removed the seeds and membranes. Tossed it in whole, for 5 minutes while the onions and garlic sauteed,then removed it before I added the chicken broth. It came out at my limit of tolerance...way beyond my wife's (who will probably never forgive me)...my head still feels it now, even though my mouth is OK. These peppers are LETHAL!

Eric, did you know that Bhut Joliokia is the hottest chili of the world and that only insane people eat it!? I mean, I eat spicy food and I love it! I have no problems adding one or two habaneros to the cooking pot.. but Joliokia!!! No way, that's far beyond anybody's limits!!!

on the other hand, your recipe of "Picadillo" sounds interesting... where is it from? I mean, what we call Picadillo in Venezuela is something completely different (actually a soup)

Eric, did you know that Bhut Joliokia is the hottest chili of the world and that only insane people eat it!? I mean, I eat spicy food and I love it! I have no problems adding one or two habaneros to the cooking pot.. but Joliokia!!! No way, that's far beyond anybody's limits!!!

on the other hand, your recipe of "Picadillo" sounds interesting... where is it from? I mean, what we call Picadillo in Venezuela is something completely different (actually a soup)

That is crazy Bhut Joliokia!!! That is over 1,500,000 scoville three times hotter than habanero!!!:eek:

Ramon:)

This is my 2nd time growing jolokia's....I give most of them away...to NY Eric! You definitely have to be careful with them! My version of picadillo is adapted from, I guess, a Cuban version...just done my way.

do these peppers have any flavor? I've had things like roasted garlic chutney for indian food that had some habenero in it because it has some flavor but can never understand why peppers that are very hot but don't have any flavor get used in cooking. I can understand why growing them though since it would be fun but then, if you've got a bunch on the plant then seems a waste to not use one or two... i've had thai food with green pepper sauce that was very hot/no flavor awful and extremely hot chicken wings that had no flavor and were equally bad; I like hot food, but has to have some flavor/point to eating it. I even tried to drink a bottle of chili beer that my brother bought me (a pepper in the bottle),.. ack couldn't finish the bottle

we used to grow a bunch of ornamental peppers at work and though we used lots of chemicals that would be taken up into the plants, the vietnamese workers would pick the peppers off and take them home. these were really hot, but basically had no flavor at all. when you would pantomime 'poison' and 'choking' to these people, they would give you this crafty look like they thought you were just trying to prevent them from taking the peppers so you could take them all home... no matter what you did they would still sneak them home

sometimes the food has enough flavour and you only need to add the spicy touch... :) green chili normally has a good taste (better than red chili)... Habanero and Scotch Bonett are exceptionally tasty.. I am not sure about Bhut Joliokia (but I am sure I will never try it to say)

on the other hand, believe it or not, each chili has its particulart taste... you only need to get used to it and overcome the "hotness"... most people who are not used to spicy food would tell you that jalapeños are extremely hot and has no taste, but actually green jalapeños are pretty mild and very tasty...

Note: just checked in Wikipedia, and accoring to it (german version), Bhut Joliokia is not only hot but also very aromatic..

I ruined dinner tonight. I made a picadillo...should have been great...grass fed beef, onions, capers, olives, potatoes, apples and mango. But...to add some heat (NYEric, are you paying attention?) I added one of my homegrown peppers..a chocolate bhut joliokia. I cut the top off, removed the seeds and membranes. Tossed it in whole, for 5 minutes while the onions and garlic sauteed,then removed it before I added the chicken broth. It came out at my limit of tolerance...way beyond my wife's (who will probably never forgive me)...my head still feels it now, even though my mouth is OK. These peppers are LETHAL!

:drool: Is there any left? I'll come over tomorrow to eat!!! BTW, the leftovers I didn't pay suckers, er, I mean people $20 to eat I made into a tasty salsa for chips! MMMMMMMMMM. I wonder where the tapes of those people hurling are?!? :evil:

To me, I find that jolokia's only have heat, while habanero's have a tremendous amount of flavor in addition to the heat. For that reason, I only use habanero types in dishes that are uncooked, like salsa and quacamole. On the other hand, my oldest son insists that jolokia's have a flavor reminiscent of habanero. By the way, my son had the leftovers today. He had them cold...and really liked the dish. He said it was extremely hot, but not unbearably so, and very flavorful. Probably because 1) it was cold, out of the fridge, and 2), after several hours the flavors had a chance to meld. Why do I grow something like this? Because I can? Basically, that's it. I find hot peppers to be not only the easiest crop to grow, but the most productive and easily preserved...either by drying or freezing. I grow the hottest peppers in the world for the same reasons that people grow the largest pumpkins. Who can eat a 600 lb pumpkin? I don't have the space...so for me a 1.5 m scoville pepper is my 600 lb pumpkin. But I do get plenty of takers. Eric- I have loads! Not that many chocolate jolokia's, but many yellows (slightly less hot, but maybe that's because they were harvested earlier...later ones may be just as hot), 7 pots, and Trinidad Scorpions, which some claim may be hotter than jolokias. At least the Trinidad Scorpions are small........

i'll bet if you took some of your peppers to a farmer's market you could sell some, or at least trade for something else. there's always somebody looking to buy things unusual or extreme

I've made this particular pie several times now and it's always a huge hit when I bring it into the office. It's the simplest pie to make. I use a store-bought pie crust and lemons off my tree in my back yard.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Chess-Pie-350518

I brought a pie into work today and it is now gone. Everyone loves it!

Note: I usually double the recipe since the store-bought pie crusts come in pairs. And I usually don't bake it for more than 30 minutes. Keep an eye on how brown the top gets and take it out of the oven at the appropriate time.

Best Regards,
Nik

I finally had a chance to go out to my LI place. I really wanted fresh fish for dinner rather than old frozen ravioli...while I caught 2 striped bass, I had to throw them both back because they weren't the 28" minimum. Too bad...one of them was at least 5 lbs and meaty. But I did end up with a small bluefish...grilled it whole with rosemary branches in the cavity, and rosemary leaves the slashes on the side....couldn't get fish fresher than this...it was still flopping when I put it on the grill!

I remove it after cooking. The white meat separates away from the dark meat perfectly.

thanks! ... that would have saved me a whole lot of effort with dealing w/ the fish a co-worker gave me last year. I ended up trimming it all off. I saved it thinking that someone might want to use it for fishing (bait)... would fish go for that or is it just taking up space in my freezer?

Homemade pot pies I made and frozen at thanksgiving with my leftover fake turkey. Taste just like banquet chicken pot pies. Yummy!

Latest posts

Back