What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Bye Carbos, Hello Tofu!

Funny that I started this thread since now I'm on what many might think an extreme diet. Basically it is something like this:

Don't's:

-junk food of any kind (with the exception of chocolate eaten very occasionally)
-highly processed food of any kind (with the exception of tofu and kimchi)
-grain based foods including rice, bread, noodles, and so on
-sweet drinks, especially those with high fructose corn syrup
-milk products with the exception of a bit a cream for coffee and 2 tablespoons of yogurt each morning.
-beef
-juices, even natural fruit juices (which are rare and expensive anyway)
-EGGS!
-WHITE SUGAR!

Do's:

-veggies of any and every kind both raw and lightly cooked (but not sauteed or fried)
-fruits in moderation
-fish both raw and cooked
-seafood, but with care since cholesterol can be high in some like shrimp
-tofu and other bean products (tons of them here!)
-chicken and pork, boneless and lean, one or twice a week
-seeds and nuts in moderation (high calorie, but packed with good stuff)
-green tea, and lots of it
-honey, but just a tad

Add to that I'm eating around 20-25% less than my current caloric need demands. One beer is allowed each day, but I drink one maybe ever other day in truth. Coffee with a bit of low fat cream and a little honey is taken each morning. Sundays, when I see my girlfriend, I allow a bit more leniency, but the calories are watched regardless.

WHY? Because a month ago I went to the doc and realized that for a man approaching 50 the way I was going was leading to a brick wall eventually. Cholesterol and blood pressure were both alarmingly high (but not unusual for my age group) and I had gained 3 kilos since my last visit 5 months ago - 84 kilos! My goal is to live better and longer and to gain back my high school weight - right around 70 kilos. I've spent most of my life using my body to the level of an athlete or nearly so, but since 2007 have been sidelined by two herniated disks. So, my ability to modulate my health via exercise was compromised and that effect has increased every year since then.

RESULTS - so far I have shed 6 kilos! Amazing, once you stop eating all those carbs, you drop weight fast. Mind you, I'm eating well balanced meals, and yes, to keep from feeling too hungry I'm using a fair amount of fish and bean protein to keep me happy - well, almost happy! I also have chronic nasal allergies and since I went on this diet they have improved by 50% or more...I'm thinking it must be a wheat allergy since I eat almost none anymore. I'm glad to add that symptoms from the herniated disks are also improving a bunch, thank god! Interesting...

Only one negative result so far, my girlfriend says I'm no fun anymore :p I think she misses my gut busting BBQs and pasta feasts!

I'll keep you posted. So much for yummy, fatty and carbo high foods! :sob::D

Don't worry about the cholesterol in shrimp and other seafood....its not like the cholesterol in beef.

Cool Tom, 6 kilos from 84 in 5 months is good!!!! I can feel with you for cholesterol, blood pres., back pain ..... ! I, too, am doing some regime but without completely stopping beer, wine :) !! Jean

chocolate -- junk food??? :fight:
!

I know Dot, it is the food of the gods, but unfortunately milk chocolate is about as unnatural a combination as one could imagine. Of course, it must be eaten regardless, from time to time. :D

Sorry Tom, I'm on the opposite diet! Gain, gain, gain!!!

God's speed Eric! :evil:

Don't worry about the cholesterol in shrimp and other seafood....its not like the cholesterol in beef.

Roger that Eric, understood. That's why beef is on my "don't eat list"!

Cool Tom, 6 kilos from 84 in 5 months is good!!!! I can feel with you for cholesterol, blood pres., back pain ..... ! I, too, am doing some regime but without completely stopping beer, wine :) !! Jean

Stop beer? Completely? Why bother living? :rollhappy: Actually, I've lost the 6 kilos over the last month of time, not 5 months. Late last fall I was around 81 kilos and my cholesterol was a tad high, but not bad, ditto on the blood pressure. Over the winter I gained 3 more kilos and topped the scale at 84.4 kilos a month ago. After being on this "no carb/no junk food" diet for just one month I'm down to 78 kilos - a very fast drop, but common when you stop putting all those calories down your throat. Actually I want to slow this down a bit to maybe a half kilo a week, not 1.5 per week. The trick will be stabilizing around 72 kilos - balancing diet with exercise and maintaining a good condition.

no idea whats for dinner but dessert will be strawberry stack cake:drool:

Sirloin burgers on the bar-b, homemade potato salad, angel food cake with strawberries, blackberries, yellow raspberries and blueberries.

I made potato salad today, too, Yoyo Jo. A dear friend introduced me to his family's special potato salad recipe many years ago after I had eaten some and was flabbergasted at how good it was. It's a very simple combination of the following list of ingredients. Nothing more. Nothing less. It may sound strange, but its out-of-this-world-fabulous! :drool:

Boiled Peeled Potatoes - chilled and cut into appropriate sized pieces
Hard Boiled eggs - diced
Peeled Cucumber, diced, soaked in salt water and drained
Diced Onions (white, yellow, or sweet/vidalia)
Canned Small Deveined Shrimp, rinsed, rechecked for deveining, chopped
Miracle Whip
Salt
Black Pepper

I proportion the ingredients to my taste. I don't know why, but for some reason or another, this combination of ingredients produces a potato salad which I prefer over all others.

Last night tried "grilled pizza" for the first time on the outdoor grill. Low yeast, 1/2 wheat recipe for that thin crispy wood-fired texture. Tomato sauce, diced fresh oregano and basil, cheese, and a few thinly sliced mini portabellas on top.

Really easy! I'll definitely be doing this one again.

Last night tried "grilled pizza" for the first time on the outdoor grill. Low yeast, 1/2 wheat recipe for that thin crispy wood-fired texture. Tomato sauce, diced fresh oregano and basil, cheese, and a few thinly sliced mini portabellas on top.

Really easy! I'll definitely be doing this one again.

Sounds nice!

Me - sliced tofu with soy sauce and fine cut green onions, a big garden salad with a bit of sesame dressing, kimchi with cut up cucumber added, and a sweet (almost sugar free) drink made from perilla (a basil related herb).

Down to 77 kilos and still dropping, albeit more slowly now. Hitting the pool 2-3 times a week to get more cardiovascular strength too. Feeling much, much better these days.

Lanmark,

I'm not a big fan of canned shrimp. Fresh shrimp is readily available where I shop. I'm guessing that your potato salad recipe will be just as good using fresh cooked shrimp, yes? Or would it alter the flavor of the potato salad?

Best Regards,
Nik

Tonight's menu consists of barbecued dry-rubbed chicken, Amish potato salad, and corn on the cob:D

We had chicken tenders marinated in olive juice and sauteed in butter, potatoes, peas and pole beans (the latter two freshly picked from my garden).

Lanmark,

I'm not a big fan of canned shrimp. Fresh shrimp is readily available where I shop. I'm guessing that your potato salad recipe will be just as good using fresh cooked shrimp, yes? Or would it alter the flavor of the potato salad?

Best Regards,
Nik

Great question, Nik! I use the very best quality canned shrimp I can find as it does make a difference in the flavor, but I believe you could also use fresh cooked shrimp with great success. Dice it finely as it is an important yet subtle component of the dish. We generally make a very large bowl full of this potato salad but it contains only about 4 to 4.5 ounces (~ 113 - 128 grams) net weight of the shrimp. :) I'm hungry now just thinking about it. :drool: :rollhappy:

Back