What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some gumbo for dinner tonight. Here it is just before cooking, don't it look purty!

Gumbo.jpg

What you all cookin'?
Any chance I can get the recipe for this?? I'd like to make this for a few friends who are coming over Fri. Please and thank you?

Felt like being elaborate today...side dish was a pasta....bowtie pasta, the sauce was garlic, shallots, fresh maitake and beech drop mushrooms, dried black trumpet and morel mushrooms....after sauteeing the garlic ,shallots, and fresh mushrooms in butter, I added the dried mushrooms and their liquid, then some torn spinach leaves...as it reduced, I added some black pepper, parsley, and some sherry....when it reduced a bit further I added some cream, reduced a bit, then mixed with the pasta. Next I pan seared some filet mignon in butter. Put it in the oven to cook a little bit more, and sauteed shallots and beech drop mushrooms in more butter (thank my Dr who always tests my cholesterol...my levels are low enough to make me a very bad boy sometimes...) added some cream, and lots of ground black pepper...when it reduced, added some bourbon (Knob Creek), set it on fire....then poured it on the steak. Mmmm! But I used too much bourbon...ended up tasting a little too sweet and too much like vanilla...next time I'll do it with brandy, and use less...got to save it for drinking! Had it with a nice Argentinian malbec/cab/syrah/petit verdot blend.........

Oven roasted 19lb. turkey, whipped Idaho potato, canned corn, made gravy.
Turkey everything rest of week.

simple baked pork chops (with olive oil, marjoram, pepper and garlic salt), homemade apple sauce and a ton of mushrooms broiled in butter and more olive oil. last night was toasted spinach bagels topped with mushroom spaghetti sauce, mozz cheese and avocado slices

OK....duck breasts! Removed the skin....baked it in the oven until crisp. Cut the breast meat into medallions. Seared them in the fat from the skin baking in the oven...then set aside. Made a sauce of chanterelles, shallots, garlic, sauteed in olive oil with red wine...added the meat back. Ate it with wild rice and reda cabbage and slivered turnip. Great!

OK....duck breasts! Removed the skin....baked it in the oven until crisp. Cut the breast meat into medallions. Seared them in the fat from the skin baking in the oven...then set aside. Made a sauce of chanterelles, shallots, garlic, sauteed in olive oil with red wine...added the meat back. Ate it with wild rice and reda cabbage and slivered turnip. Great!

oh! I was confused about the above until I realized that you were talking about baking the duck skin in the oven until crisp... :eek: (and then the rest). I only know that it wouldn't take much to make duck crisp but after that didn't think about it that much except thinking it would be kind of tough. sounds very good!

by the way, I know you can buy seasoned rice packets that have rice and seasonings... does anyone know where you can buy the seasoning packets and use your own rice? don't want to have to pay the fancy price for the whole thing though probably can't buy seasoning packets on their own

Swiss steak....browned cubes of top sirloin, sweet onion, green peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes, baked in the oven. Served with steamed rice. Mmmmm.

Strange and massive salad: romaine lettuce, arugula, jicama, hothouse cucumber, white button mushrooms, shredded carrots, tomato, avocado, pickled mild banana pepper rings, tempeh browned in olive oil seasoned with soy sauce, smoked turkey breast, pignolias, chick peas, sliced raw almonds, feta cheese, goat cheese, shredded parmesan cheese, toasted sesame oil, tarragon vinegar, lemon pepper, texas toast style croutons, and a little bit of Green Goddess dressing. Mmmmmmm yummy! :drool:

Me too.
When the weather is better, and the semester is done, feel free to stop by.
We are close to Rt. 35 and 9 where it splits going south.

Did you buy anything?

Back