What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joined my future in-laws (my oldest son's fiance's family) for their Christmas dinner..my contribution to the meal was roasted winter veggies...butternut squash, brussels sprouts, parsnips, turnips, and cippolini onions roasted with olive oil, butter, salt and pepper.....came out just right.

Left-overs from my Mom's Xmas dinner: turkey, potatoes & gravy, veggies, cabbage rolls and salad. Mmmmmm. Especially delicious since all I have to do is warm it up. :D

My son roasted a goose today.....really simple. Shoved some onions and apples in the cavity, salted and peppered the skin, and roasted it a few hours just pouring off the fat regularly...it was good!

Home-made veggie lasagna: broccoli, carrots, onion, spinach, & mushrooms in rich tomato sauce layered with cheese and noodles. Mmmmmm. :drool:

Went to Chinatown and got squab...cleaned them by removing the backbone and head, flattened them and roasted them glazed with soy sauce/vinegar/sugar/5 spice powder....sauteed the hearts and livers with cippolini onions and porcini mushrooms, in olive oil and red wine...along with wild rice/brown Jasmine (didn't have enough wild rice...) and roasted brussels sprouts...washed down with a great cabernet......

Hi Eric,
We had Phil's fantastic left over tuna casserole, We were returning from downstate when Jeep died on us 60 miles from home. Tow truck towed Jeep on trailer and we rode in the cab all the way home. Don't think I;ve had a better day after dinner in a long time... it was great to be back safe and sound .

I'm willing to trade tuna casserole recipe. Been using this one for long time.
Too funny, we had on Tuesday.

Hi Clark,
I'll be glad to share recipe. It belongs to my husband. His orginal recipe uses but chicken . I don't eat fowl so he adapted it for me and used tuna. It is really really good! I will ask him to type it up . This might take a few days-- he is still doing his share of taking down the Christmas decorations!!! Meanwhile Happy growing
Linda

Shabu shabu - a "hot pot" dish of boiled veggies, mushrooms, tofu, and thin sliced meat. It was a welcome break from the mounds of meat, chocolate, and cheese I ate back in the states...

Still, you just can't beat a good ruben sandwich!

You don't have chocolate in Japan? You poor thing! :pity:

Shabu shabu - a "hot pot" dish of boiled veggies, mushrooms, tofu, and thin sliced meat. It was a welcome break from the mounds of meat, chocolate, and cheese I ate back in the states...

Still, you just can't beat a good ruben sandwich!

Oh I love "hot pot" -- the kind where friends and family cook and eat at the table at a leisurely pace, everyone sitting around, talking and having fun. The delicious aromas coming from the simmering pot are wonderful as different things are cooked and eaten during the course of the evening. :)

Ha, ha! Yes, we have chocolate in Japan Dot! My mother's policy about having a large bowl of chocolate in every room doesn't help much though, especially when it's 15 degrees outside. Christmas is a killer time for too much food, and I make no effort to avoid eating while I'm in the states.

Lanmark, I agree about the Japanese eating style - almost every meal is shared instead of having individual portions. It feels much more communal in that sense...

Back