What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soft tacos(8),with 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
bakery blueberry muffin, choc.peanutbutter bombs.

i'll go for the pizza (mmmm) but don't need the rest

tonight was leftover venison meatloaf, whipped potatoes with other things in them, and baked beans with other things added in. later topped with cameo apple
oh, there also was a strawberry jam sandwich on wheat bread tossed in there as an appetizer (smile)

Stuffed shrimp.....Stuffing was garlic, hot pepper, shallots, a little red sweet pepper, pignoli nuts, some capers, crabmeat, and panko bread crumbs..all moistened with olive oil, a touch of butter, a little white wine and chicken broth. Shoved under the broiler, served with sauteed lacinato kale (with garlic, anchovy, hot pepper, a touch of chicken broth) with a great Argentine Torrontes to glug down....

i'll go for the pizza (mmmm) but don't need the rest

tonight was leftover venison meatloaf, whipped potatoes with other things in them, and baked beans with other things added in. later topped with cameo apple
oh, there also was a strawberry jam sandwich on wheat bread tossed in there as an appetizer (smile)

Would you share your venison meatloaf receipe ? Hubby got a six pointer Monday and I haven't a clue on how to prepare the venison. I have a roast in my slow cooker tonight and we are going to grill some steaks tommorrow..these are only taste tests to see if we like these cuts or if we need to grind it all .
Thanks !

chicken rolls filled with feta cheese and parsley, turnip and parsnip puree, pear cake with chocolate. my daughter had mood for cooking :D

as far as the venison, you must first know that it has much less fat in it than other red meat so that it will cook a lot faster. my favorite way of cooking small steaks is to take a cast-iron frying pan or griddle and put some butter and olive oil in it, and put the meat in it. better to use thinner than thicker cuts, though you can do the same with thicker, just takes longer. I put the meat in pan and then turn on the heat to very low. when the one side has turned grey and is done, I turn it over. no searing or anything like that. for being a cold pan and low heat, it will cook quickly. you can cook steaks over a barbecue or gas grill, but since there is not as much fat, you won't get that crunchy, crispy result like with a good, fatty beef steak because the venison doesn't have that much or that kind of fat in it.

another way of using the venison is to make vegetable stews with it; I often use lots of whatever vegetables you like (plus big venison chunks), and use sea salt, bay leaves, worchestershire sauce, and sometimes a little bit of rosemary leaves plus the usual other suspects for making soup or stew (black pepper, garlic etc). if you like marinading things, a 'red wine' type of marinade goes very well with rosemary, which can go well with whatever spices you also use with the marinade.

I would never grind up pieces of venison if you didn't like roasts or large steaks, but make spiedies out of them. not sure if you would know of them in your area but spiedies are a very big thing in the binghamton, ny and surrounding area. basically greek style italian dressing of sorts, sometimes has a little tomato base in it but not the majority; marinade the venison chunks in it, sort of shish kebab size (maybe 1-1/2" wide at most at any cross section) then put on skewers or set on a bread cooling rack and broil or bake. don't need high heat, and they will cook very fast. slide some off a skewer and onto italian bread and enjoy! again it cooks very fast, and if cooked too long can get very dry. undercooking a tiny bit and letting sit for a few minutes and finish cooking and is better than overdoing it. you might be able to find 'state fair spiedie sauce' on the internet or maybe at a larger store; at the ny state fair they have a large booth where they make spiedies with this marinade and they are excellent. I have never had anyone try my venison spiedies made with this marinade ever turn their nose up at them!

if you do have some ground up, meatloaf is great. you really don't have to do anything fancy, if you can find the recipe for standard meatloaf from the fannie farmer home cookbook, I just use that and since the meat can have lower fat, sometimes some saved bacon grease on top or a few strips of bacon over the top can be very good. if you'd like that recipe I can get the book and put it here or in the favorite recipes thread.

I don't try to get too fancy with cuts of venison and involved recipes, using small sizes, slow cooking and butter/olive oil and slow cooking works so well I don't have interest in trying much else. I also enjoy sprinkling garlic salt on the nearly finished product like all my steaks and it is very good, and my favorite is cooking small steaks or chops, and then cooking a few eggs halfway, putting on top of the meat and then lemon-pepper and garlic salt (steak and eggs). love it both for breakfast and dinner! if a piece is shaped funny and has a thick spot, you might be better butterflying the cut where it's thickest and making a wider, thinner piece. roasts may be good, I haven't done as many of them in preference for smaller pieces and steaks/spiedies. also with roasting you would need less time to cook than fattier meats, and maybe slightly less temperature. again erring on slightly 'undercooked', then returning for a few minutes is far better than not watching and letting it cook too long and drying out (and getting very tough). tenderloins in olive oil and butter is excellent, and even my aunt who isn't crazy about meat that might taste 'gamey', loves them

http://www.spiedie.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie http://www.spiedies.com/index.php http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm (links to salamidas spiedie sauce and lupo's spiedie sauce). there are some recipes you can find online just search spiedies recipes

note that the two links above (spiedie.com and spiedies.com) are to two different places

Last edited:
but make spiedies out of them. not sure if you would know of them in your area but spiedies are a very big thing in the binghamton, ny and surrounding area. basically greek style italian dressing of sorts, sometimes has a little tomato base in it but not the majority; marinade the venison chunks in it, sort of shish kebab size (maybe 1-1/2" wide at most at any cross section) excellent. I have never had anyone try my venison spiedies made with this marinade ever turn their nose up at them!

tenderloins in olive oil and butter is excellent, and even my aunt who isn't crazy about meat that might taste 'gamey', loves them

http://www.spiedie.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie http://www.spiedies.com/index.php http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm (links to salamidas spiedie sauce and lupo's spiedie sauce). there are some recipes you can find online just search spiedies recipes

note that the two links above (spiedie.com and spiedies.com) are to two different places

Thanks Charles ! I have never heard of spiedies , but they sound wonderful ! I will give that a try ! Thank you for the links.

We kept the best cuts (tenderloins, steaks ,rump roasts,) for grilling ,stews etc .The rest we will have made into sausage ( a big thing in this are :wink: ) We have already had sampled some of the sausage and it is the BEST sausage I have ever eaten (sorry Jimmy Dean :D). We will try some for burgers as well.

We were pleasantly surprised how tasty and not gamey the meat has been. Hubby is on the hunt again. Because deer are so plentiful now, they have increased the harvest this year.

lucky him! (and you) I wouldn't do anything to a tenderloin except cook it slowly in some butter (and olive oil but the butter is necessity). they are so tender and good to do anything else that might dry it out or cover up the flavor would be a real shame. again if you are going to grill like charcoal or gas, I would aim for rare because it will end up more than that. I've had venison sausage made with pork and regular sausage fixings and it is good; you can always use that sausage and make some real kicking meatloaf with it as well. definitely try some spiedies! I've seen online recipes but you can get big jugs of lupo's or state fair spiedie sauce through the mail and it's very good

venison can get gamey if you don't prep it right in the field, don't let it cool off enough or if it's a really old deer and you dry it out. i've never had gamey meat, though I did learn the hard way when trying to impress a date long ago by cooking some big venison steaks, but was distracted and they got overdone and very tough..... nobody was impressed

leftover broccoli and cauliflower florets with cheese sauce and lemon pepper, and hot blue corn tortilla chips/ medium salsa

Last edited:
Cod....baked with a sauce of onions, garlic, grape tomatoes, capers, and chopped kalamata olives and basil.....had it with rosemary bread and baby artichokes seared in olive oil with garlic and pine nuts......

Latest posts

Back