What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She chose pork ribs. We decided on a salad instead of fries and had grilled shrimp as an appetizer. The drink is a sweet cocktail made of mango liqueur and mandarin orange nectar. Of course I drank a beer while grilling...

BBQDinner.jpg

Do you carry your camera everywhere you go, Tom??? :poke:

Of course! Ah, but then again, I can't show you many of them since they are too personal...

The funny part is that I never take pictures of food unless my girlfriend urges me to. There is a funny habit that people have here - if they go out to eat and are impressed with the meal, out come the cell phones and everyone is clicking away. The shots are then promptly sent to their friends and family members. You wouldn't believe the number of pictures I see of food from all over the world, especially Europe. Pretty funny.

Interesting, ever have short ribs of beef BBQ there? What is the salad? At first I thought it was bulger wheat couscous.

Eric, I can get short ribs at Costco. Haven't made any yet, but I'll try sometime this year. What you're seeing on the top of the salad are chopped sweet onions and basal - the salad itself is mostly mizuna (a Japanese mustard green, mildly flavored), Japanese cucumbers, avocado, Japanese bacon, tomato, and some olives. I like to put a little sesame dressing on it.

Grilled turkey sausage (sliced), mixed w/ linguini, cooked tomatoes, 'chard, garlic, olive oil.
Last night, but too bloated to post. :eek:

not today and not made by me, but something worth to look and taste ;) linsentopf mit blutwurst from herbstmarkt in dresden:

Attachments

• linsentopf.JPG
    linsentopf.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 19
no pics, but some home-made toaster oven pizzas made out of naan bread (tandoori shape), sauce, sharp cheddar, roasted garlic (all toasted), then topped with garlic powder, romano cheese and wild mushrooms that were broiled in butter + olive oil (shelf mushrooms growing on fallen or weakened black ash). about to head to freezer and get some friendly's mixed sherbet.

a pakistani graduate student living in our housing co-op when at school got me into making mini pizzas on naan bread and all sorts of whatever toppings you could think up, and they fit right in the toaster oven. luckily wegmans and tops carry naan bread or I'd be up a creek. I have recipes for making naan bread but haven't made any yet

No name for this dish, but....I sauteed garlic, hot pepper, an onion, a pint of grape tomatoes, an anchovy, a little sugar, and a chopped fennel bulb in olive oil. Added some red wine, then 1.5 lbs of squid. Let it cook down awhile...added a lot of tarragon. Reduced the liquid....then added some halibut chunks and a few shrimp...when it was ready, added some mussels. Just before serving, I put chopped fennel fronds on top...served over spinach fetucchine...I liked it! Take care, Eric

Argh! No dinner last night, too tired from rough day at work, then car shopping including rude salesman, and short film festival. Too busy so far today, unpacking new plants to eat! :(

Ahhhh....rabbit! Cooked with chanterelles, parsnip, and shallots in a white wine sauce over strozzapretti (?) pasta, with roasted sweet potato, butternut squash, parsnip, and chanterelles on the side....

lol! your dinners sound like a menu right out of bon appetite magazine! your recipes have lots of things that I've never cooked with, and I think i'll have to check some of them out.
by the way, are chanterelles sort of still in season right now? I was at nelson swamp taking some pics for a botanist and on the way out I saw some mushrooms that looked a bit like them, but I thought they were in season more around the middle to end of august? many were 'old' but a few were still on the edge of being fresh looking sort of. I took some pics but haven't uploaded them yet. peachy orange, and sort of funnel-ish shaped slopign upwards, underside don't have the usual fins that you'd see on shelf mushrooms or the buttons you find in the store after they open up all the way; look more like veins running all over instead of 'neat' up and down

um, i may have forgotten.. tell us again!

actually, one brave soul told me that if you aren't sure about the edibility of a mushroom, just 'touch' it to your tongue. if it tastes bitter then don't eat the rest of it. I haven't bothered to test that out as he may just want me out of the picture (smile)

Chanterelles are in season variously, depending on where they come from. I have no idea where these are from, only that they are relatively cheap ($14/lb) as compare to the usual $20-30/lb....and decent, not slimy or dried out. As for the taste of a "poisonous" mushroom....I wouldn't go by that..apparently Amanita verna and phalloides (both called, appropriately, "death cap" or "destroying angel") taste like regular mushrooms......Take care, Eric

Back