What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...so this is for 2 day's worth of meals. Saturday I went to a favorite Asian market in Flushing, knowing that the live spot prawns are now in season. Sure enough, they had them...so I bought a bunch of those, a lb of live crayfish, and a small "mirugai"- geoduck clam. It was expensive, but it looked sooo good, and wasn't overly large. So, on Sat. night, I had steamed spot prawns, crayfish boiled in heavily seasoned beer, and had the clam siphon raw, as sashimi. The belly and belly muscles were lightly floured and fried in butter. Also had some pan seared kabocha squash. Now of course this was too much food.....but I knew that. Crayfish, no matter how heavily the water is seasoned, is pretty bland. Nice texture though. So leftovers, which, as expected, consisted only of the crawdads, were used for tonight's meal, which I literally did off the top of my head using what was on hand, and a nice piece of cod fillet. I baked the cod in the oven as I made the topping...some garlic, pine nuts, shallots sauteed in olive oil. After adding white wine, I added the crayfish. When that warmed through, I added crushed almonds. Took the fish out of the oven when it was 3/4 cooked, added the topping and finished it off. It tasted better than I had hoped for.
On the side I had sliced home grown radishes, and barley/black rice cooked with portobello mushrooms and chicken broth, seasoned with a little worcestershire. Now if only I can remember what I did so I can do it again................

Had most of my kids home for dinner tonight, so I did something really special. went to an Asian market, got 2 spectacular lobsters, one about 3 lbs, the other a little smaller. Since the spot prawns are still in season, got some of them. Lychees are in season! Got those. Some duck legs for my youngest who is unreliable in his seafood appreciation. Oh...some fresh Canadian asparagus too. So..........Duck legs roasted with rosemary, along with an assortment of home grown carrots. Larger lobster steamed. Smaller lobster...briefly steamed, just enough to get the meat to pull out easily. .....for...Lobster pasta! Sauteed garlic, shallots, shiitake mushrooms in butter and olive oil. Added some lobster steaming water and white wine. Added cut up lobster. Added the roe from both lobsters- I only get females! Added some cream. When done, added the first purple basil of the season! served over fettucchine with steamed asparagus and steamed spot prawns on the side, along with freshly harvested red and spotted romaine lettuce. ....oh...and a great Vionier. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Lots of good meals now that harvest season is here, and I'm catching lots of good stuff out on the island. Let's see...Weds....vegan dinner. Sauteed shallots and a small green hot pepper in olive oil. Then added pieces of blue potato, cherry tomato, and lacinato kale. Then added some red wine, and a can of black beans. At the end, some sliced tromboncino squash and purple basil. The only stuff I didn't grow myself was the oil, wine, and beans.
OK....that night caught some weakfish...(Its been the best year ever for them)...intended to release them, but one was hooked too badly. Now, I love catching weakfish. I hate eating them. Great flavor, but the texture is way too soft. But...it occurred to me...why not just grill the whole fish, like I do bluefish and porgies? So I left it whole, slashed the sides, left the scales on (that way it doesn't stick to the grill). Rubbed olive oil with shallot, garlic, and rosemary in the slashes, stuffed the cavity with basil. Still soft, but not mushy...brought out some flakiness, and it was definitely the best weakfish I ever cooked.
OK...lots of crabs too. So my 2nd son comes in from LA, and loves crab cakes. I caught 19 blue claw crabs. After an eternity of shucking, I mixed the meat with fresh corn scraped off the cob, some minced shallots, a small hot pepper, capers, 2 eggs, Thai basil, and a small amount of bread crumbs. Fried it carefully in butter. Served it with a salsa- corn scraped off the cob, some shallots, a little grapefruit juice (didn't know I was out of limes), a few cherry tomatoes, a mango, cilantro, and....a Naga Viper chili...first of the season. (Naga Viper briefly held the record as world's hottest pepper, beating Bhut jolokia...but it was quickly beaten by the Butch T...which I am growing, of course. A new one has beaten them all with 2 million su, but that will have to be grown next year.) So, overall, I am eating really well this summer!

last night was sweet corn, utah peaches/peach crisp, idaho potato salad, wyoming antelope roast, and local salad (antelope 'sourced' on the ranch were we were eating); oh, and barefoot red wine and lots of water

last night was sweet corn, utah peaches/peach crisp, idaho potato salad, wyoming antelope roast, and local salad (antelope 'sourced' on the ranch were we were eating); oh, and barefoot red wine and lots of water

Sounds good Charles but what is barefoot red wine ? :confused: Jean

hungry and tired, so some fast food: chicken marinated in lots of lemon juice, ginger, garlic, sesam oil, soya sauce and chilli. then quickly to wok pan with veggies and wok noodles. served with mango sauce.

Scallop ceviche, maple glazed grilled salmon, grilled zucchini, mushroom mixed with beans and basil in a black bean sauce, along with a basil and fruit salad for desert!!!!! Now to get to the kitchen and start making it all, lol....

Made lobster for dinner yesterday, which meant lots of leftovers today. Plus, my son came back from Cutchogue with some crabs. That meant....pasta! Fettuchine with crab and lobster sauce! So, steamed and cleaned the crabs, chopped the leftover lobster. Sauteed shallots and garlic in olive oil, added some shiitake mushrooms and tomatoes, then white wine. Added parsley and purple basil, then some cream, then the lobster. Had it with sauteed tromboncino squash ( a great harvest this year), sliced orange brandywine tomato, and a rose wine. The shallots, tomatoes, squash, and basil were all home grown.

sounds good. it took us so long to get helped by the wait staff at our mother's 80th birthday dinner, and get our salads, and then get drinks, and then get our dinner, that i've totally forgotten what we had to eat. no joke, we went to the lakeside restaurant in pinedale, wyoming and our initial reservation was for 7pm and we finally got our dinners at 9pm. and that was after the wait staff didn't clear away empty bottles, didn't refill empty glasses, didn't ask how things were, and then seemed totally clueless when my oldest sister started busing the table, taking things empty off and put them on another empty table. to top it off totally, when we were about to enter the parking lot and get in our cars they turned off all the lights in the parking lot.

remember the lakeside restaurant, pinedale wyoming, and never ever go there :confused:

Grilled pork, corn, & salad tonight...

Pork.jpg

Stuffed grilled salmon with capers, Italian parsley, onion and herbs with dill ber blanc on grilled zucchini, carrots and yellow squash, roasted baby potato.

Yum.

Ramon:)

Seared scallops with morels and rock shrimp, sliced brandywine tomato with purple basil, sauteed tromboncino squash (I said I had a big harvest...) with cripy baby artichokes, made an olive oil dip for bread with garlic and basil flowers. Served it with a nice bottle of Torrontes...all veggies except the morels and artichokes were home grown.

all sound good! I gained too much weight during my trip to wyoming, so last night had nothing for dinner (had sbarro pizza at thruway rest stop on way home from newark airport, but it was dry)

Back