What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Japanese "Anything goes" hot pot. I used chicken, scallops, shrimp, calamari, octopus, bean threads, spring onions, shiitake mushrooms, tofu and carrots on a bed of napa cabbage simmered in a mirin, soy sauce and dashi stock. Note, this pic is pre cooked.
eza3yda2.jpg

Stuffed grape leaves and fresh green salad that we got from the FFA kids at the school down the block!

Baked cod. Made a sauce of garlic, shallot, tiny bit of red bell pepper, tiny bit of celery, beech drop mushrooms, pine nuts, chopped grape tomato (the only edible winter tomato), capers, tiny bit of chopped calamata olive. Sauteed in olive oil, added a touch of chicken broth and parsley, then crushed almond. Covered the fish, and baked it. Meanwhile, cooked some farro with onion and beech drop mushroom, and steamed some asparagus. (Mexican...the season has begun!) Had it with a nice pinot noir......greatly enjoyed dinner!

that looks good. I had a hard time finding an english-speaking site that explained what hitzkuchen was (creme anglais, onions, lardon etc in hot wood-fired stove); had to translate a 'wiki'-type page

This is the more western form you found.

This one is a base made like pizza but here with meal of rye
then they put a cream of potatos on it more liquid then smashed potatos
after that they put greves over it this is the small brown things,
then you pot onion and some spices over it, a little pig fat melted over and the up in the oven like pizza
Eat it hot

Not a beer.

we drink `Most´ to it, this is fermented aple juice,
made like you make wine ........

I never tried "spatchcocking" a chicken, so I tried tonight. Got 2 nice organic free range small chickens, brined them in brown sugar and salt for about 90 minutes. Removed the backbone and flattened them, coated them with an olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and thyme mixture (the herbs coming from my garden), then roasted them with potatoes and parsnips. Meanwhile, sauteed lacinato Tuscan kale, fresh picked from my yard, and chopped the livers to cook in kasha (buckwheat) along with maitake and beechdrop mushroom, and onions. Had an Australian Shiraz along with it....good!

Pulled pork sandwiches on torta bread. I get this salt that is made from desalinated ocean water; they take the salt and put it in a smokers with kiawe (mesquite) wood. Anything you put it on or cook with it tastes like it just came out of a smoker.

a yogurt, orange juice, mango, avocado, pineapple, green tea leaves, blueberry smoothie (plus some passionfruit juice to add some sweetness)

before that was some 'white chili' with added recaito and sharp cheddar (the white chili was a kat cora recipe that was pretty bland until I added the cheese and recaito; cheese was called for in the recipe)

My guts haven't been as well behaved as they should be, and my appetite has basically shut down. So to challenge it back to my usual gluttony, and made the rounds of some Asian markets. End result was a steamed Dungeness crab, live abalone and surf clam dredged in flour and sauteed in butter, and a geoduck clam....the neck for sashimi, the rest sauteed with the other stuff. Accompanied by sauteed Lacinato kale from my garden...still harvesting it. It's only a few weeks before I plant it again....

So I got these over the weekend in Cutchogue....steamed them yesterday, then made crab cakes today. Accompanied by pineapple salsa and guacamole, heated by my Trinidad Moruga chilies...the newest world record holder at 2 million SU...twice (!) the heat of Bhut Jolokia...NYEric, are you paying attention?

Latest posts

Back