Paphiopedilun rothschildianum 'Charles Edwards'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find on eBay!
and you grow it so well with such clean healthy leaves that I don't see often on some other people's multiflorals.

How often did it bloom in the time you have had it??

Great find on eBay!
and you grow it so well with such clean healthy leaves that I don't see often on some other people's multiflorals.

How often did it bloom in the time you have had it??

Thanks.

It has bloomed just the last two years. It was a small division when I got it with a fresh cut where it was severed from the mother plant.

Thank you!

Can you run me the culture you gave to this baby? :)
So, once it started to bloom, it blooms regularly in the last two years.
It is great for what they call "old" cultivar, right?

I would love to have some pollen from this if you don't mind.

How's your armeniacum??
Speaking of armeniacum, why don't you cross them together?
Your armeniacum grows and blooms well, and so is this roth! :)

Thank you!

Can you run me the culture you gave to this baby? :)
So, once it started to bloom, it blooms regularly in the last two years.
It is great for what they call "old" cultivar, right?

I would love to have some pollen from this if you don't mind.

How's your armeniacum??
Speaking of armeniacum, why don't you cross them together?
Your armeniacum grows and blooms well, and so is this roth! :)

The culture is nothing special. I grow entirely under artificial LED plant lights (100 w fixture 46 inches from the shelf on which the plant sits). The temperatures are 85F day and 65F night in summer and 10F cooler in winter. I fertilize with urea-free fertilizer at 125-150 ppm weekly year-round. I pot it in a mixture of fir bark (75%) and perlite (25%).

I think that it is pretty great. The new ones, in my view, look too "contrived". I prefer the more natural look prior to line breeding. The armeniacums are doing well. I could try crossing them, but the armeniacums are not considered to have good form so I don't know if people would want one of the seedlings if it got that far.

Last edited:
The culture is nothing special. I grow entirely under artificial LED plant lights (100 w fixture 46 inches from the shelf on which the plant sits). The temperatures are 85F day and 65F night in summer and 10F cooler in winter. I fertilize with urea-free fertilized at 125-150 ppm weekly year-round. I pot it in a mixture of fir bark (75%) and perlite (25%).

I think that it is pretty great. The new ones, in my view, look too "contrived". I prefer the more natural look prior to line breeding. The armeniacums are doing well. I could try crossing them, but the armeniacums are not considered to have good form so I don't know if people would want one of the seedlings if it got that far.
Wow!!! 150 ppm N and looking good. So you water/drench first then fertilize? Do you water in between application of fertilizer?
Do you use tap water and supplement Ca and Mg? Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wow!!! 150 ppm N and looking good. So you water/drench first then fertilize? Do you water in between application of fertilizer?
Do you use tap water and supplement Ca and Mg? Thanks for sharing.

No, I water once per week year-round with the fertilizer solution. The low concentration of fertilizer seems to obviate the need to flush the pot after fertilizing. No supplementation with Ca or Mg.

150 ppm is considered high but I guess not considering what you have done.

Interesting because I've noted a concentration of > 300 ppm when following the manufacturer's directions on most fertilizers I have used (including this one). Of course, it could also be the solubility of the salts that make up the fertilizer mixture. I should also note that I use distilled water to mix the fertilizer so i assume that most of the salts are easily dissolved and less likely to accumulate.

So if you dont mind, what is your fertilizer and how much do you add to your water in gallons preferably. And you said you use distilled water, only?

I would buy a flask! :)

If I remember correctly, the flowers on your armeniacum wasn't bad at all, and the quality was various. Maybe it differs from bloom to bloom, or had to do with how fresh they were, but I remember seeing a couple that looked very nice.

Average flower with good vigor and willingness score high on my sheet.

And who knows, roth influence might help iron out the shape a bit.

I have seen quite a few crappy Dollgoldi all from FCC or other "great" parents. I just don't believe much into those. ;)

Please remake and I'll buy from you! :D

The culture is nothing special. I grow entirely under artificial LED plant lights (100 w fixture 46 inches from the shelf on which the plant sits). The temperatures are 85F day and 65F night in summer and 10F cooler in winter. I fertilize with urea-free fertilizer at 125-150 ppm weekly year-round. I pot it in a mixture of fir bark (75%) and perlite (25%).

So if you dont mind, what is your fertilizer and how much do you add to your water in gallons preferably. And you said you use distilled water, only?

I buy it from Repotme.com, the MSU RO water formulation. I add about 1/8 tsp per gallon, but I really never measure it except via a meter I obtained that measures total dissolves solids after I dissolve the fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back