Dendrobium moniliforme

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
In flower now in the garden. These stay out year round (temps range from -5 ~ 38 C) with little fuss. They are grown either mounted or in high grade NZ sphagnum. More coming into flower soon. The purple one is 'Raizan', considered to be the pure species, the yellow is an unnamed hybrid, and the last whitish one is also an unnamed wild form.
View attachment DM1.mp4

Rudolf, even in this climate they require some supplemental watering during dry or hot conditions. I'm not too particular so I just hose them down! I am careful with fertilizing, using a very dilute solution and applying it with a small, hand-held bottle sprayer. These guys otherwise grow without much input. Re-pot every 2-3 years to protect the roots.

A few more from the last couple days. Their season is in full swing now.

'Tougyokufukurin' - smaller growing plant with nice round flowers and white edging to the leaves (called fukurin).
DM3.JPG
A neat little plant with funny little flowers I just bought at a local show. I need to have my wife read the label for the name.
DM4.JPG
A pretty orange hybrid I saw at the show. Simply called "orange sekkoku". No doubt a hybrid.
DMOrange.JPG

I like all three of those varieties! Well, maybe not so fond of the floofy pink one, but floofy pink flowers are generally not my thing unless they smell particularly nice, but it is interesting, for sure. For the orange suspected hybrid, do you have any guesses about what other species might have contributed to the color?

I'm not sure what was used to produce that yellow flower, and such things are often forgotten about or hidden by growers here. The roundness of the flower segments looks reminiscent of D. 'Stardust' (D. unicum x D. Ukon). Probably a mix of species in there, much like 'Sankanou' featured in another thread.

BTW, if you could see the "floofy" pink one in person, I think you'd melt. It is tiny, not grandiose. I'm beginning to love these guys more than the neos, if for no other reason that they are much less maintenance.

I'm not sure what was used to produce that yellow flower, and such things are often forgotten about or hidden by growers here. The roundness of the flower segments looks reminiscent of D. 'Stardust' (D. unicum x D. Ukon). Probably a mix of species in there, much like 'Sankanou' featured in another thread.

BTW, if you could see the "floofy" pink one in person, I think you'd melt. It is tiny, not grandiose. I'm beginning to love these guys more than the neos, if for no other reason that they are much less maintenance.

I do like the smaller cultivars for sure! They're very cute.

Back