Fall Bloomers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here are a couple orchids out in the garden in flower now. These receive little care except supplemental watering during dry periods and occasional fertilizer. I let them grow as they will and so they could be considered "growing wild" more or less.

Pleuothallis sonderana - miniature species from the coastal rain forest of Brazil. It has proven to be quite cold tolerant and easy to flower.

Pleuothallis910.jpg

Dendrobium moniliforme - an unnamed purple variety growing on a tree stump. These always flower a little in the fall, but April and May are the main flowering months.

DendMonilPurple910.jpg

And 'Tousui' - a pine needle leaf form of Neofinetia falcata in flower now. These are strange not only because they flower in the fall only, but the flower stalk comes from the terminus of the growth and after flowering the growth stops growing and eventually dies. One result is that they clump up very quickly. This one as more than doubled since I bought it 4 years ago. Bad pic - windy day.

TousuiFLS.jpg

Cool both!!! It is amazing to be albe to grow outside...!

I was told that P. sonderana cannot tolerate heat, is it true??

Glad you all enjoyed them. I'll post more as things come into flower.

The neo is not mounted on a tree!? Jean

Jean, I grow all my "fancy" neos, the fuukiran, in pots, but have plenty of normal ones planted out on trees. They are just a little too valuable to grow out there in the elements.

Cool both!!! It is amazing to be albe to grow outside...!

I was told that P. sonderana cannot tolerate heat, is it true??

Thanasis, that may be true, but here the plant has to live with 30 C+ for at least 2 months in summer. So..... Right now I have at least 15 species growing outside year round.

I see a spider is fond of the moniliforme -- it has good taste!

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs Dot! The place is literally crawling with every arthropod you could imagine, even small land crabs that live near streams.

Latest posts

Back