Phragmipedium Fedora Brochu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Phragmipedium Fedora Brochu (lindleyanum x Stenophyllum)

I got this from The Orchid Trail many years ago. When I bought it, the growths were 1/3rd to 1/4th the size they are now. I purchased it because I liked that the flowers had the sargentianum/lindleyanum look, but at a fraction of the size. I was really surprised to find out that this has P. schlimii in the parentage. Schlimii hybrids tend to produce pink and white flowers. However, it's a weird genetic anomaly that when the P. schlimii genetics are diluted sufficiently enough by the "green" flowered Phrags, the flowers revert back to "greenie" form.

Even though the growths are significantly larger than the miniature sized plant I purchased, it's still a fairly compact medium sized hybrid. I like this plant because it blooms so frequently. It's almost never out of flower now that it's reached a critical mass in size. The spikes normally branch, like this one, which is an added plus. Most Phragmipediums are sequential bloomers, so they have 1 - 3 flowers open at once on a spike. However, the spikes can branch unlike the spikes of Paphiopedilum, so that allows Phrags to produce spikes with numerous flowers open at once. This plant produces a cloud of flowers with all the spikes and branches, though that phenomenon is usually limited to the fall-winter spikes.

I grow this one wet. It never dries out. I keep a bit of water in the saucer at all times. These prefer high quality, pure water. I collect rain water to help with that. I usually feed lightly with each watering, then once a month I'll flush the pot with water only to remove excess nutrients and minerals. I grow this fairly bright, though I admit the plant is shade tolerant. I grow this indoors, but I suspect it would be fine outdoors in the warm season and would probably handle hot temperatures just fine like many of its relatives.

This clone's flowers tend to have a weird dimple on the bottom of the lip. It's not consistent, but most flowers have this imperfection. Regardless, it's a valued addition to my collection and a wonderful hybrid that I highly recommend. It's been problem free the entire time I've grown it. Seems to be pest and disease resistant.

W8nDm4Ol.jpg

VHRP8Hbl.jpg

yfHMpNnl.jpg

You are right schlimii hybrids with 25% should show some colouration.

I don’t know where the Stenophylum we had on the market 30 years was from?
I remember getting mine from Joe ( Bloomfield orchids). But was it an old clone?
The question is was it a F1 made with the true schlimii species or with misidentified schlimii like the Wilcox,… etc.

I’m sure it was the second type more related to Cardinale instead as the true species used in those Stenophylum. That will explain the lack of coloration in the following hybrids…

With Cardinale x caricinum = A) 50% caricinum + 37% schlimii + 12,5% longifolium
With the true species = B) 50% caricinum + 50% schlimii

Than cross back with lindleyanum X

A = 50% lindleyanum + 18,75% schlimii + 6,25% longifolium
B = 50% lindleyanum + 25% schlimii + 25% caricinum that cross should show some colouration.

And under 25% usually the colouration and other traits doesn’t came out.

The reason why is so important to know the parentage and identification of our plants before to do some hybridisation.

Back