Paph Johanna Burkhardts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very, very lovely coloured and beautiful flowers, Stephen! 🙂

As per usual, though, we are confronted with the Oceanic (read: AOC) cockup in regard to the identification of this hybrid - that in the eyes of the rest of the world and to the registrar at RHS is, correctly, identified as Wössner Black Wings (P. rothschildianum x P. anitum - or if you prefer it that way: P. rothschildianum x P. adductum var. anitum). We reserve the name P. Johanna Burkhardt exclusively for the cross between P. rothschildianum x P. adductum (proper)!

Both are great but the seedling is a ripper.

While I accept that anitum and adductum are the same species, I still prefer to label this hybrid as WBW.

Both are great but the seedling is a ripper.

While I accept that anitum and adductum are the same species, I still prefer to label this hybrid as WBW.
Well, as the result of their hybridization with rothschildianum show up so clearly and stablely different (for one), I think, that you, if you prefer to see them as the same species, should at least grant them varietal status!

And someone should teach the AOC, that the registrar at RHS is the authority, when it comes to hybrids! Not Kew! They can agree or disagree as to whether adductum and anitum are separate species - but in so far as RHS has the cross between rothschildianum x anitum as Wössner Black Wings, they have to take the discussion with the registrar at RHS before they can change the name of the hybrid! Everything else is willfull behaviour!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back