Paph. rothschildianum 'Strider'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggshells

Humongous Gnat
Reaction score
Here is my second of my rothschildianum blooming this season. Four buds. This one has a good colour and good shape. This particular clone has horizontal petals. Quite different to the one I posted a few days ago. This is not as big as my first in terms of "mass" but it is certainly wider considering the natural span. I was going to wait for all flowers to open but the presentation is not looking good so I took the opportunity to take the photos today. Looks like the 3rd flower will cover the second. I should have rotated it. Anyways I will update it when all 4 flowers are open. The pouch is solid on this one.

Not bad but I still prefer my first one.

Paph. rothschildianum 'Strider' by paphioman, on Flickr

Both of them are great, congrats!

I like your first one better too, the slightly downswept petals look so elegant.

Just stunning. From the photos I think I would go with the second one but I'd be rapt with either. Both have very similar colour.

Thanks guys.

Both colossal flowers esp for colour.
Is this the same 'Bear' breeding?

It is from Hung Sheng Orchids Taiwan. But I wont be able to tell the exact cross. I got it several months apart from the first one. And I really couldn't care less about the parentage back then. I was just looking to have one of each species. I'm kinda regretting that now. I wish I bought more of this maybe at least 2 more. Still have a few unbloomed from Taiwan and Orchid Inn.

Very good one too. The good thing is that the 2 are differents and it's for me the most important thing.

I think those dark crosses from Bear, ro-1, ro-6, ro-10, etc... are now difficult to find. I have just one and I'm too a little dissapointed to not buy more when I had opportunity.

Very good one too. The good thing is that the 2 are differents and it's for me the most important thing.

I think those dark crosses from Bear, ro-1, ro-6, ro-10, etc... are now difficult to find. I have just one and I'm too a little dissapointed to not buy more when I had opportunity.

Yeah I'm with you on that one. I actually got it from Hung Sheng via Ten Shin Gardens when he went to Alberta on 2011.

Another really good one!!! You are growing these really well. How much light and humidity do you give them?

Not a lot this winter. 10%-30%. The heater in the condo is often on. It's been a really cold one. For lights 800-900 fcs 8hrs a day

Not a lot this winter. 10%-30%. The heater in the condo is often on. It's been a really cold one. For lights 800-900 fcs 8hrs a day

Wow 10-30% and they managed to bloom so beautifully. I guess the common thought that paphs need high humidity to open blooms fully is not entirely true!

Wow 10-30% and they managed to bloom so beautifully. I guess the common thought that paphs need high humidity to open blooms fully is not entirely true!

I wouldn't say it's not true but I think the plant compensated by growing roots instead to take up water rather than taking it from the air. They are indeed adaptable (to a certain point). But if I got a rootless plant right now and I give it 10-30% humidity. For sure they will turn to a crisp.

I would like to give more humidity but I cannot provide it at the moment.

Not bad???? I love it! I just bought myself a ''New Bear'' seedling ysterday. Is it supposed to be a good one?
I'd be happy if it turns out something like these!

Two fantastic clones. Gobsmacking colour and two slightly different petal stances, but each equally lovely. Congratulations!
I gotta find a few of these 'Bear' clone seedlings!

Latest posts

Back