Paph rothschildianum x sib ('Knight Sunshine' SM/JOGA x 'Tarantula' GM/JGP)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could be the best rothschildianum of the year!!! Just found this one spiking and am super excited. I know raptor was a big let down for a parent but I haven't seen tarantula flower as a parent: may be the first person to get a flower from a cross like this. This could be a huge flower with great traits or I could be a let down: mind you this will be its first flowering so it won't be the best quality. Also it was super hard to get a good picture.
View attachment 44113View attachment 44114
Exciting indeed! Keep us posted!

This is it!!! The person who was caring for it during the winter freeze forgot to water it for a couple of days as well as one of the other roths I had. Due to this both roths got stunned and the flowers petals didn't fully grow and started to droop. However I'm thankful for the person to take care of it when i was in need and the only thing that matters is that the plant survived to bloom another year. I am not giving up on it yet!!!
Also to you that like to critique please dont because i really don't care for it and i have no control with the people who sell the certain crosses. I just like blooming them for fun and hope for the best. No disrespect
20240203_141341.jpg20240203_140146.jpg20240203_140143.jpg

This is it!!! The person who was caring for it during the winter freeze forgot to water it for a couple of days as well as one of the other roths I had. Due to this both roths got stunned and the flowers petals didn't fully grow and started to droop. However I'm thankful for the person to take care of it when i was in need and the only thing that matters is that the plant survived to bloom another year. I am not giving up on it yet!!!
Also to you that like to critique please dont because i really don't care for it and i have no control with the people who sell the certain crosses. I just like blooming them for fun and hope for the best. No disrespect
View attachment 45329View attachment 45330View attachment 45331
I think 3 flowers on a single growth plant is pretty good, quite often i only get two, I like the strong markings also. Thanks for posting pics, gives me a good idea of what to expect from mine.

I have two plants labeled as this cross from Sam. Not yet bloomed, but I'm not optimistic.
Ya I know what you mean. This cross did seem like it would be one of the best Sam was selling at the end. It didn't make the impression I was thinking it would. However, from the not optimal watering conditions and the potential cold shock right as it was blooming I hope this affected the flower quality greatly and that next time it will be a show stoper. The NS I did not measure but it was about 8 inches like some of my other ones. This is a good sign as the growth was shocked from lack of water and the growth halted and the petals started to droop a bit. I know some people do not like me saying this but "another 1-2 blooms will make it a great flower, but in this case, it definitely will. I have about 10 of Sam's crosses and hope to get a good one. I really like the slightly cup-shaped flowers that are kind of fat-looking and have a dark pouch color so who knows ;).

I get a lot of them from a Japanese auction site. The Tokyo Orchid Nursery sells a lot of their seedling and flowering roths on this site accompanied with lots of photos. It is always interesting to look at this site when the roths are flowering in Japan to see how the various roth crosses are turning out. Like you, I have seedlings of a lot of these crosses. You can also see the size of the flowers in the description. TON would keep the absolute cream but they still sell some nice plants here. The ones above sold for serious money (200,000 yen?). They are way above average flowers. In the seedling plants, they often have photos of the parent plants, which is where the Knight Sunshine photo would have come from.

Here is the link. Mostly seedlings as the roths aren't flowering yet.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch/paph. rothschildianum/0/

Not all the Raptor crosses are duds. This plant on the second page of the above link is very nice. I have a few seedlings of this cross, that are growing very slowly.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r1097360057
I have a question - How to you manage to buy the orchids from the Japanese auction sites? I know I have to register using Buyee for international customers, but I haven't been able to bid on any orchids due to "This auction matches one of our prohibited item keywords, so we have blocked the auction for fear that we won't be able to ship this to you. If you wish for us to unblock the auction, please click here" How do you deal with it?

I have a question - How to you manage to buy the orchids from the Japanese auction sites? I know I have to register using Buyee for international customers, but I haven't been able to bid on any orchids due to "This auction matches one of our prohibited item keywords, so we have blocked the auction for fear that we won't be able to ship this to you. If you wish for us to unblock the auction, please click here" How do you deal with it?

I don't bid myself. It is too difficult and expensive to import live plants into Australia. I sometimes just look at that website out of interest.

You can’t from overseas. You will need a local Japanese friend to bid. Or a Japanese agent that charges 10-30% on top.

Then even after winning, you will need paperwork to get it out of Japan. So it’s almost impossible.

Latest posts

Back