Paph rothschildianum x sib ('Knight Sunshine' SM/JOGA x 'Tarantula' GM/JGP)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This could be the best rothschildianum of the year!!! Just found this one spiking and am super excited. I know raptor was a big let down for a parent but I haven't seen tarantula flower as a parent: may be the first person to get a flower from a cross like this. This could be a huge flower with great traits or I could be a let down: mind you this will be its first flowering so it won't be the best quality. Also it was super hard to get a good picture.
20231209_204532.jpg20231209_204540.jpg

Very exciting. I look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I have seen a few tarantula seedlings. A bit of a mixed bag - some really good, others average. This one was pretty nice - Nikko Shogun' x 'Tarantula'. Not huge but the colour is outstanding.

https://www.tokyoorchidnursery.com/2016/05/16/roths-tarantula-の子供/#gsc.tab=0
Knights Sunshine is a great flower too. You certainly have the genetics for something special. Fingers crossed.

WOW. Very emotional post. Excited isn’t the word for it. You literally went from ‘the best Rothschildianum in the World’ this year to contemplating throwing the plant in the garbage! Both without seeing it bloom.

At this rate, we need you to see a Professional Orchid Whisperer.
Well if you're trying to quote me with ‘the best Rothschildianum in the World’ please reread my post as it says "This could be the best rothschildianum of the year!!!", as in my collection as quite a few are blooming that I got from Sam. Also, I'm not sure where you understood me going to throw the plant into the garbage. I have had some terrible flowers, in terms of judging, and have never thrown the plant away because of it. Also, I was trying not to get my hopes up with this cross as I know that it could not be a great flower. I am super excited and I think you are jealous that I got this plant to bloom and or even have it in my collection. :)

One minute, he is your best friend at the forum but the next minute you want to cut his throat! Love it, guys! Fight, fight, fight!
That is why I don't want any friends and you all are my enermy. 😈

There won’t be any fighting. That is just nonsensical.
But when one’s emotions run from euphoria to way down there within the same post, I find that unusual. We are all orchid growers, we are probably all orchid lovers, things take time to sort themselves out.
If I offended you in any way, I apologize to you and the group as a whole.

In the future, I will just ignore your questions.

But when one’s emotions run from euphoria to way down there within the same post, I find that unusual. We are all orchid growers, we are probably all orchid lovers, things take time to sort themselves out.

No, keep responding. You always have good input on the topic. My emotions were not all over the place but I was just talking about the plant and how some rothschildianum are not great parents and how this could be like that or the complete opposite. When I was wrighting that I was thinking back to the popular post that I created "What is the best roth cross?": I think this was the title. That is when I got this plant about and a lot of people were saying that you really need a flask to find a really good flower or an actual in bloom plant. Others also commented about raptor. There are more post on this forum about raptor crosses than tarantula and they were saying that they were not impressed first with the price of the plant and second with the flower quality. I'm sorry that it got a bit tense on this but I also apologize.

He's a literal kid, cut him some slack lol

For your interest, here is a photo of 'Knight Sunshine'

Knights-Sunshine.JPG

Here are some more photos of Tarantula seedlings. The first 3 are Black Diamond x Tarantula. I have a FS seedling of this cross that should flower next season. If they look like this, I will be happy. The fourth one is Black Star x Tarantula. I don't know what the other parent is in the last Tarantula cross, but it is one hell of a flower.

black-diamond-x-tarantula-2.jpg

black-diamond-x-tarantula-3.jpg

black-diamond-x-tarantula.jpg

Black-Start-x-Tarantula.jpg

Paph_rothschildianum_Sandy-from-Tarantula.jpg

For your interest, here is a photo of 'Knight Sunshine'

Knights-Sunshine.JPG

Here are some more photos of Tarantula seedlings. The first 3 are Black Diamond x Tarantula. I have a FS seedling of this cross that should flower next season. If they look like this, I will be happy. The fourth one is Black Star x Tarantula. I don't know what the other parent is in the last Tarantula cross, but it is one hell of a flower.

black-diamond-x-tarantula-2.jpg

black-diamond-x-tarantula-3.jpg

black-diamond-x-tarantula.jpg

Black-Start-x-Tarantula.jpg

Paph_rothschildianum_Sandy-from-Tarantula.jpg
Thank you so much for the pictures!!! I tried to find the tarantula cross flower pictures but they were limited. How did you get these pictures: website, personal? The second to last photo pouch color is to die for and the third picture has great form and flower count especially for a what I assume is a first time bloom from only one visible fan in the picture. Thanks again:):):):)

Thank you so much for the pictures!!! I tried to find the tarantula cross flower pictures but they were limited. How did you get these pictures: website, personal? The second to last photo pouch color is to die for and the third picture has great form and flower count especially for a what I assume is a first time bloom from only one visible fan in the picture. Thanks again:):):):)

I get a lot of them from a Japanese auction site. The Tokyo Orchid Nursery sells a lot of their seedling and flowering roths on this site accompanied with lots of photos. It is always interesting to look at this site when the roths are flowering in Japan to see how the various roth crosses are turning out. Like you, I have seedlings of a lot of these crosses. You can also see the size of the flowers in the description. TON would keep the absolute cream but they still sell some nice plants here. The ones above sold for serious money (200,000 yen?). They are way above average flowers. In the seedling plants, they often have photos of the parent plants, which is where the Knight Sunshine photo would have come from.

Here is the link. Mostly seedlings as the roths aren't flowering yet.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch/paph. rothschildianum/0/

Not all the Raptor crosses are duds. This plant on the second page of the above link is very nice. I have a few seedlings of this cross, that are growing very slowly.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r1097360057

Hello, has this plant flowered yet? If so do you have any pictures? I have this cross from Orchid inn too, and would be keen to see how it looks, also pics of the plant if possible, to give me an idea of plant size.

Hello, has this plant flowered yet? If so do you have any pictures? I have this cross from Orchid inn too, and would be keen to see how it looks, also pics of the plant if possible, to give me an idea of plant size.
Hi there. Sorry for the delay with photos. I had to move my plants and this one had to stay with someone as I didn't want to risk it in -20 degree weather. I should have a picture by Saturday if it is still in flower. Flowers from what I heard were affected by some cold so they may be deformed but who knows

Latest posts

Back