Foxes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coyotes are very common around here, and never put a dent in the deer or children population.

The deer (and turkey) for that matter are much bigger pests with all the car accidents they cause.

I know of at least one person killed in a car wreck after hitting a deer on the highway. Every person in our household (of 6) has had at least 1 deer hit on the road and cost us thousands of dollars in damage. The local sheriffs department lost 15 cars to deer collisions in one fall/winter season. We've never lost any chickens or cats to coyotes, but stray dogs are way worse problem out here. When I lived in Oklahoma (land of a zillion coyotes) we lost our entire flock of Barbados sheep to the neighbors loose rottweiler (promptly shot).

The foxes and bobcats are pretty common too, but much more shy.

Generally this area is so packed with raccoon, possum, ground hog, mice, rats,....the indigenous predators don't need to spend much time on bigger stuff.

Coyotes are very common around here, and never put a dent in the deer or children population.

The deer (and turkey) for that matter are much bigger pests with all the car accidents they cause.

I know of at least one person killed in a car wreck after hitting a deer on the highway. Every person in our household (of 6) has had at least 1 deer hit on the road and cost us thousands of dollars in damage. The local sheriffs department lost 15 cars to deer collisions in one fall/winter season. We've never lost any chickens or cats to coyotes, but stray dogs are way worse problem out here. When I lived in Oklahoma (land of a zillion coyotes) we lost our entire flock of Barbados sheep to the neighbors loose rottweiler (promptly shot).

The foxes and bobcats are pretty common too, but much more shy.

Generally this area is so packed with raccoon, possum, ground hog, mice, rats,....the indigenous predators don't need to spend much time on bigger stuff.

I think that our area is packed with preys too. In Fall and in Spring, when I drive to the office I see at least one or more dead deer every week. Sometimes there are many new deaths every day! I almost hit several of them every year since I lived here.

A biologist working in our region for the government many years ago used to say that deers and poultry predators are more often called Fido than coyotes (or wolves, since there are wolves-coyotes hybrids here)!

I am not afraid at all of coyotes when I walk alone in our woodlot by night even if I hear coyotes "barking". Actually I like to hear those sounds.... Am I the only to appreciate that sound? Maybe....

It was interesting listening to the coyotes howling at the moon on winter nights when I was living out in the tetons/wyoming years ago. Dogs do kill lots of animals, plus lower bird populations in nesting areas because the birds leave. I saw a coyote right alongside the state thruway this afternoon very near syracuse; interesting that nearby in a highway median was a border patrol truck! maybe they were checking to see if the coyote had all the proper paperwork (smile)

Next time a canine is in the window, with tongue out,
saliva overflowing the lower lip :drool: , ready to eat the family *****,
maybe I'll open my mind and roll out the red carpet.

Tom M- feel free to hijack any of my threads. I owe you one. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back