Happy Turkey Day!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would feel remiss if I did not take the time to wish everybody a Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate that Holiday will some incredible over eating!!!! 🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃
For those who do not celebrate just let me wish every one a Happy Thursday!
Thanksgiving has always been my favorite Holiday here in the states since I am a sucker for roast turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes/yams, pearl onions, string beans ( yuck ), stuffing and did I mention gravy??? Yum Yum!!!
And then comes the desserts lead primarily by pumpkin pie, preferably a touch warm with whipped cream on top. Oh man that is good eating!!!

I can already smell the turkey farts!!!!! I apologize for that last remark. Bill

Happy Thanksgiving!
I am a sucker for roast turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes/yams, pearl onions, string beans ( yuck ), stuffing and did I mention gravy??? Yum Yum!!!
And then comes the desserts lead primarily by pumpkin pie, preferably a touch warm with whipped cream on top. Oh man that is good eating!
All but the pearl onions.:)

What is your traditional Christmas day lunch if you have turkey and all the trimmings for Thanksgiving? Or is Christmas just Round 2?

I am a sucker for roast turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes/yams, pearl onions, string beans ( yuck ), stuffing and did I mention gravy???
What on earth happened to the Brussels sprouts with crumbled bacon, Bill?!
What is your traditional Christmas day lunch if you have turkey and all the trimmings for Thanksgiving?
If they have turkey for Christmas, too, Ed, I would imagine, that the trimmings were of a different kind? And I don't think they eat your classic Christmas pudding, either? But let's hear from our American friends?
And happy TG to y'all! 🥳

Ps. Someone in my family last year found a gluten- and dairy-free Christmas pudding and brought it from London. It got a squish of Cognac - and I had a feast. Always dreamt of tasting it, that is for almost 50 years, i.e. since I encountered the phenomena during my first round of Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, et al. 🇬🇧
The little krypto-brit buried deep inside me, by the way, misses you guys so terribly, since you by fraudulent means were lured and cajoled to leave the Union!
(I wonder what happened to the fantastic and fabulous trade deals, that would flow your way - and to the vast amounts of money, that, instead of pouring down into the coffers of corrupt and gready bureaucrats in Bruxelles, would let the NHS raise like a Phoenix from the ashes, and become the best health care service ever? Sadly, it seems, that the only thing, that got gilded where the lily! 🙄)

Last edited:
In my family growing up it was a honey baked ham, applesauce, scalloped potatoes, asparagus kind of for Christmas.
For my in-laws it was a prime rib dinner, oven baked potatoes, zucchini or another squash.

Oh, for all those years married, one family got Christmas dinner and one got Thanksgiving.
We never really switched off much.
Christmas dinner often included French onion soup.

When we were first married, we tried two dinners. Oh man, we quickly gave that up!! Too much food.
One family liked Turkey dinner like around 3pm. With a maximum of 23 people at the table with 2 dueling 20 pound turkeys!!!
The other family, Italian, liked antipasto around 2pm. Breadsticks, cheeses, figs before prime rib around 4 pm. It was like you got stuffed twice.

I don’t remember Brussels sprouts, maybe for Easter?
Turnips for Thanksgiving! Yuck, you can keep the turnip!

I am reminded of John Pinette.
He said God made the turnip, looked at it and said, “this didn’t turn out right!” “I’ll bury it deep in the ground where they can’t find it!!”

Then he added, the next day did anyone ever go into the refrigerator and say, “Hey, who ate all the turnips??!!!” No of course not.

Besides the green beans, Brussels sprouts dishes are very much for Thanksgiving here in NE region.

No one cooks on Xmas day, and we eat leftovers from Xmas Eve dinner("Happy juices", ham, turkey, prime ribs, shrimp cocktail, cream of crabs, lobster bisque, German potatoes/sweet potatoes/both, beets, and greens), next year, I will suggest bringing back the Seven Fishes(La Vigilia) for Xmas.

Well, some of my friends, one of them American, from the deep South (Alabama), in our younger days, every year held a TG banquet for their friends. Jack, the Alabamian, is a chef and, beside the things you mention, always served Brussels sprouts with crumbled bacon and corn bread, too. And for dessert a wonderful pecan pie! (well, I guess, this adds up to a TG-dinner with a distinct Southern flavour!)

Last edited:
Big C, what made you think of turnips?

I like them in moderate measures, but, well who am I, but a Dane, who even likes his mash of swedes (and not only, when we beat our arch enemy in soccer! 😁)

I remembered them because every one else liked them at Thanksgiving! I realized that I forgot to include them.

The John Pinette jokes are on you tube. Google John Pinette Thanksgiving! He was of the show The View I think. Hilarious from like 2008! It will make you tear up with laughter!

Possibly.
I love Brussel sprouts but never cared for turnip. Odd flavor I think, unusual texture and no matter what I put on them, doesn’t seem to improve them at all.

Happy Turkey Day!! We went non-traditional this year and went with ducks over turkeys. Our menu for the day included:

Duck
Roasted carrots
Roasted Brussel sprouts with brown butter and sage
Garlic Mashed potatoes
Chipotle whipped sweet potatoes
Herbed Cheese biscuits
Cherry and apple pie

Our big family get together is on Saturday due to work schedules. That will be the traditional turkey and dressing day. Greenbean casserole, Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, gravy, and dinner rolls will be on the menu. There will be a salad for good optics. Also an assortment of pies. The person with the pie assignment went overboard. Oh, I cannot remember who is bringing the cranberry sauce. But it will be there too. Last year we hosted and I made cranberry sauce and had the canned stuff because people can get really serious about wanting the canned stuff.

Growing up in Memphis, Tennessee, greens were a big part of Thanksgiving and New Year's meals. While my preference was collard greens, my family often made turnip greens with the turnips sliced into the greens and braised together. I always picked around the turnips....

Happy Thanksgiving! I usually cook my own Turkey, even if invited to relatives for dinner. I usually have some form of stuffing, some form of cranberry and some dessert. Sometimes, since I sometimes work that morning, there will be Turkey, this year I bought spicy bnbutter pickles and tiny gherkins, and today or weekend I will make the rest. Along with gravy
Very many years ago in another life, I made a crown roast of pork with oyster stuffing in it for family thanksgiving; it was good, but only Turkey was selected in future years

Attachments

• IMG_5630.jpeg
    IMG_5630.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back