Foxes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
Here is a mother & baby fox that come to the yard to eat table scraps. She has 3 pups this year.

Mom coming into the yard.

suggiesfox011.jpg

Mom and pup

suggiesfox012.jpg

Mom & Pup

suggiesfox016.jpg

Neat! No fox where I live. It would be useful to control the large population or rodents. The biggest predator of rodents in my area is cars.

This is the 3rd year that she has been here. 1st year 3 pups, 2nd year 2 pups, this year 3 pups. It is cool to watch them, I can sit on the back porch & they will come to eat.

We have alot of rodents too, there is alot of roadkill here to mainly squirrels though..

I saw 4 road kills when I was driving in a highway yesterday. 3 coyotes and 1 wolf.

Coyotes are getting to be more prevalent around here, but I have seen the occasional fox. Considering that we live in a developed area that is surprising to me, but we also have more turkeys than ever and deer. The deer have been eating very close to the side of the road on a very busy corner. Prey population burst = predetor population response.

We had a fox family make a den in a culvert two houses down a few years ago. The owner of the house blocked the culvert with rocks, so the foxes moved on. Too bad -- they were welcome on our place.

They are pretty fun to watch. I would sit on the porch and watch them. It is getting time for mom to kick the pups out on their own now. I only see 1 or 2 everycouple of days now. Coyotes are a rare sight here but they are around. There was a sighting of a mountain lion on a farm about 10 miles from my house.
Coservation said they didn't put them here but when 1 dies with a tracking device on it it gets you wondering about it. They had to do something for the deer population! Not as many hunters as there used to be.

Foxes are so beautiful, but really hate when they come into my barns for my stock and hate them comming onto porches and windowsills taking the cats. Wish they would just stay out in the field. But, they are opportunists - and I think they get lazy. Kitties are easy game.

Since the coyote population has entered our neck of the woods, we see lots of deer near the roads - fawns more often now than ever before. I think the deer can't compete in the woods and brush with the coyotes so staying near clearings for better visual perspective - roadsides are perfect - is the best they can do for surviving.

I raise sheep and the coyotes have cost me considerable loss. They now run in packs and it's nothing to pull down calves, big adult sheep, and other larger livestock. They are pretty bold, and if I had young children, I'd definitely be a nervous wreck. Large guard dogs here now and lots of fencing!

The only foxes I ever see are on the beach but for the coyotes, well they're everywhere. They run in packs and are spotted more often in the winters months here in South TX.

Shoot them.
Or hire somebody.

Easier said than done! Coyotes are very hard to hunt.

We had a neighbor who used to fox hunt. He just had the hounds run once a week or so. Loved to hear them at night baying. Kept the foxes busy and they never bothered us. The neighbor retired and sold his hounds and the foxes have been a pest ever since.

Where I live, in Munich City, there are foxes too, a neighbour who is taking care for 4 dogs feeds them , i.e. when there are 5 babies, all of them survive...

My favourite kind of foxes are those on two legs of the female kind. :smitten:

Foxes are so beautiful, but really hate when they come into my barns for my stock and hate them comming onto porches and windowsills taking the cats. Wish they would just stay out in the field. But, they are opportunists - and I think they get lazy. Kitties are easy game.

Since the coyote population has entered our neck of the woods, we see lots of deer near the roads - fawns more often now than ever before. I think the deer can't compete in the woods and brush with the coyotes so staying near clearings for better visual perspective - roadsides are perfect - is the best they can do for surviving.

I raise sheep and the coyotes have cost me considerable loss. They now run in packs and it's nothing to pull down calves, big adult sheep, and other larger livestock. They are pretty bold, and if I had young children, I'd definitely be a nervous wreck. Large guard dogs here now and lots of fencing!

Why are you afraid for children? Coyotes attacks on children are not commun, are they???
.:confused:

Did you think about donkey as a guardian? Some people raising sheeps here tried it.

http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/articles/coyotes_and_coyote_control_and_m.htm

In some areas coyotes have bitten children. And considering they can carry off a good sized lamb, wouldn't take much to steal a child - and they show considerable boldness at times. I have invested in LGDs now(large guard dogs). While a donkey would have been preferred, I have horses, and sadly, the donkeys will stay with the horses and not the sheep.

I had also thought of llamas, which do a good job, but I'm getting too old for the big stuff. My Vet suggested it. She said she had seen one knock a horse down. Next visit to the Vet she was telling me her girlfriend's husband was just getting out of the hospital that day - their llama put him in!

I'm sticking with Muzzi and Toughie. They are Great Pyrenees brothers. Seem to have some nice qualities so it looks promising. Sometimes I think would have been easier to give up the sheep and goats. But, what would I do without my May Flower and Utzie. Or Tickles and Rosita. Tulie and Mo.

Latest posts

Back