Cattleya trianae Cashen’s’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Amazing flower even though I wasn’t home when it opened, and being against the wall kept it from flattening some. Original from Waldor. I moved it to more light and the flares are wonderful this bloom. They are on all three sepals as well as petals. I see why this has an FCC. Not to mention that it usually passes all its wonderful qualities on to its progeny. Photo of whole plant is true to color. Closeup blued for some reason. IMG_2809.jpegIMG_2808.jpeg

Amazing flower even though I wasn’t home when it opened, and being against the wall kept it from flattening some. Original from Waldor. I moved it to more light and the flares are wonderful this bloom. They are on all three sepals as well as petals. I see why this has an FCC. Not to mention that it usually passes all its wonderful qualities on to its progeny. Photo of whole plant is true to color. Closeup blued for some reason. View attachment 43890View attachment 43891
Way to go. Now all you can do is try for three flowers. My self cross of ‘Cashen’s’ is different in having more prominent flamea on the petals, but you sure see where it comes from. What great conformation.

Good job.

On their best flowering on a strong plant there is no window between lip and lateral sepals.

Also it rarely flowers more than 2 flowers. I have yet to see once.
Do you think that is genetically coded in ‘Cashen’s’? Cattleya trianae can have at least 3 flowers but maybe the price you pay to get certain flower characteristics is a decrease in floriferousness.

Do you think that is genetically coded in ‘Cashen’s’? Cattleya trianae can have at least 3 flowers but maybe the price you pay to get certain flower characteristics is a decrease in floriferousness.
Due to the large size of these flowers up to 15/16 cm, they take a lot of energy. Although its offspring, ‘Pink Hippos’ held 4 of these large flowers on one!

Way to go. Now all you can do is try for three flowers. My self cross of ‘Cashen’s’ is different in having more prominent flamea on the petals, but you sure see where it comes from. What great conformation.
Terry, yours has more prominent flamea on the petals? I’d love to see it. Do you have any photos?

Terry, yours has more prominent flamea on the petals? I’d love to see it. Do you have any photos?
Here it is, Deborah. (‘Cashen’s’ x ‘Cashen’s’).

IMG_2198.jpeg

This selfing cross, as expected, had more variation than a batch of ‘Cashen’s’ mericlones. Orchids Limited flowered some very high quality plants but mine doesn’t make it because of flower conformation..

I have bloomed this plant five times and it has always had stronger flamea than ‘Cashen’s’ itself. However, it paid a price for this in the petals, which needed to be larger so they come closer to touching in the midline and cover up more of the lateral sepals.

I keep it because of the strong flamea and it because it opens fairly flat with a decent size. However, I never think of it as having an award quality flower.

Good job.

On their best flowering on a strong plant there is no window between lip and lateral sepals.

Also it rarely flowers more than 2 flowers. I have yet to see once.
Good info, thanks.

View attachment 43907

This selfing cross, as expected, had more variation than a batch of ‘Cashen’s’ mericlones. Orchids Limited flowered some very high quality plants but mine doesn’t make it because of flower conformation..

I have bloomed this plant five times and it has always had stronger flamea than ‘Cashen’s’ itself. However, it paid a price for this in the petals, which needed to be larger so they come closer to touching in the midline and cover up more of the lateral sepals.

I keep it because of the strong flamea and it because it opens fairly flat with a decent size. However, I never think of it as having an award quality flower.

With Rogerson’s 91 pt FCC, it would take an almost perfect bloom to get it upgraded. Not likely to happen under lights. But I’m with you, it’s a beautiful flamea and flower. Mine actually has more flamea than the awarded, but as Leslie mentioned doesn’t compare in shape.

Good info, thanks.

With Rogerson’s 91 pt FCC, it would take an almost perfect bloom to get it upgraded. Not likely to happen under lights. But I’m with you, it’s a beautiful flamea and flower. Mine actually has more flamea than the awarded, but as Leslie mentioned doesn’t compare in shape.
Let's do our best growing and see what we get. I will be sending you Arthos pictures soon!

IMG_2812.jpegIMG_2811.jpegIMG_2810.jpegOoo! Anticipation…. Here is my current bloom of C. Dinard ‘Blue Heaven’. First time , 4 flowers on one inflorescence with another spike forming. On table with more light. A little crowded as I was away and couldn’t groom them better, but still stunning. And the fragrance is wonderful! Neither photo captures the color perfectly. My new photo set up works great unless it’s a tall plant, then being too close to the light messes with the color so I have to play with it.

David, assuming you are speaking of the ‘Cashen’s’. Waldor has a meristem and an original division both on eBay right now. Original opening bid is $249 and meristem is $149. Although both are expensive, for what it is, I think worth it if you can get it for close to that.
If you are interested PM me and I will tell you how I bid, when I do. I’m pretty sure Waldor can ship with CITES but if you message Dave Off, (use contact seller) he will let you know. Bids usually close on Sundays so don’t wait, give him time to respond.

Last edited:
View attachment 43908View attachment 43909View attachment 43910Ooo! Anticipation…. Here is my current bloom of C. Dinard ‘Blue Heaven’. First time , 4 flowers on one inflorescence with another spike forming. On table with more light. A little crowded as I was away and couldn’t groom them better, but still stunning. And the fragrance is wonderful! Neither photo captures the color perfectly. My new photo set up works great unless it’s a tall plant, then being too close to the light messes with the color so I have to play with it.
A big plant, well grown, and you get 4 flowers. Congratulations.

View attachment 43907

This selfing is quite nice esp the flamea part. With 2-3 flowers at 13-15 cm, there is a chance of an award.

Latest posts

Back