C. Adela (1898) syn. Louis Chaton (C. percivaliana x C. trianae)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
UPDATE, see new photos below:
A remake (this one from Waldor) of an 1898 primary hybrid with (4N) cultivars (C. percivaliana ‘Summit’ FCC/AOS (4N) x C. trianae ‘Cashen’s’ FCC/AOS (4N). It’s just beginning to show its face today but I can already see this one really pulled from its ‘Cashen’s genes!! I have the same cross from Orchids Ltd, (with ‘Mendenhall Summit’, also 4N), but that one pulled from the ‘Summit’ genes. @Carmella.carey remembered the photos from the last bloom of each of the two different seedlings bloom before, and pointed it out to me as I was considering gifting the Waldor one! So, I’ve waited with great anticipation for the complete unveiling of this flower. From what I can see, so far, he sure has an eye for good form!! I will post an updated photo (and one of the last bloom of the OL one, when this fully opens). Please Lord, let it open flat🙏. Only one flower because it’s small and recently repotted, but that’s okay!! #potential!!
Not good light under the LEDs for accurate color, it’s not this lavender, but does have a touch of the Cashen’s flare, so will do natural light next time.

First photo was first day. It’s fully open now. Natural light shade. Terryros I think your bloom from O Ltd. in previous post, still was somewhat better. Here is the link to the January 2023 post of previous blooms. https://www.slippertalk.com/threads...ll-summit’-am-x-trianae-‘cashen’s’-fcc.54513/

Attachments

• IMG_3728.jpeg
    IMG_3728.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_3757.jpeg
    IMG_3757.jpeg
    1.9 MB
Last edited:
Very nice, Deborah. I was glad you kept it so you could compare. Surprised that it is blooming in the summer with trianae and percivaliana both being mid-winter species.

Last edited:
Very nice, Deborah. I was glad you kept it so you could compare. Surprised that it is blooming in the summer with trianae and percivaliana both being mid-winter species.
I repotted, downsized and pulled a couple of back bulbs offf with almost no roots that a friend wanted to try to rehab. Only one flower so could be adjusting. It was growing way out of the pot so that part of what this is.
I looked at the combined post you did from 1/23. The OL plant clearly takes more after Summit, especially the lip. Very pleased with this one from Waldor. Looks more like yours from OL.

Last edited:
I repotted, downsized and pulled a couple of back bulbs offf with almost no roots that a friend wanted to try to rehab. Only one flower so could be adjusting. It was growing way out of the pot so that part of what this is.
I looked at the combined post you did from 1/23. The OL plant clearly takes more after Summit, especially the lip. Very pleased with this one from Waldor. Looks more like yours from OL.
The genes have their own dance and we can’t predict what will come out. That is the adventure and the excitement. It would be fun if you could get both plants in sync and see the blooms side by side.

terryros
Ill

ill take a look tomorrow at bloom times for each plant.
the OL seedling bloomed last Sept/Oct and now has 2 new leads about 5” tall. So this year at least, they won’t bloom together. Maybe next…. But I had 2 Prism Palette ‘Carnivals’. One from Waldor and one from Plato Mathews and they never bloomed together either. Even when growing next to each other (Adela is next to each other, as well), so they clearly do their own thing for some reason.

Back