Cattleya trianae flamea ‘Sorpresa’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, it’s just not fair!!!!! You give me yet another trianae flamea to lust after. But, ‘Kathleen’ will always be my favorite in this class, because it reminds me of your generosity in sharing your wealth of knowledge and photos here. Even though she needs better form, I can’t believe any would out grow or outbloom her.
Deb, I am reminding myself that 'Kathleen' was given a CCE but not a flower quality award. Its strength is in the multiple growths and that they are compact. This makes for a great display, even if an individual flower isn't award quality. Steve Christoffersen is offering a virus free division of 'Kathleen' for $250 minimum bid on eBay right now. He mentions that the flamea can fluctuate a lot between flowerings, including having only the semi-alba. We will have to see what happens with ours.

Deb, I am reminding myself that 'Kathleen' was given a CCE but not a flower quality award. Its strength is in the multiple growths and that they are compact. This makes for a great display, even if an individual flower isn't award quality. Steve Christoffersen is offering a virus free division of 'Kathleen' for $250 minimum bid on eBay right now. He mentions that the flamea can fluctuate a lot between flowerings, including having only the semi-alba. We will have to see what happens with ours.
Terry, sorry, I mistook this as a post from Leslie 🙃. So, I’m editing it appropriately, but you are right! And the CCE had 18 flowers, several unflowered sheaths and, I think, 2 seed pods in a 10" pot!! So, I have a way to go with 10 flowers and 2 sheaths in a 9.5" If Christoffersen is offering a virus free division at that price it's a good deal. Mine is virus free, and a division of Rogerson's original plant from Jerry Fischer at Orchids Ltd, and I paid almost twice that (I said my most expensive plant--see the horrible influence Leslie has on me with flameas!!). It was the only place in the U.S. I could find it at the time, and it was a nice BD present I asked my hubby for.
BUT, my flamea does not fluctuate at all (at least not so far). I got in in May of 2020. it's been repotted once in 6/22 and divided then. It has bloomed in 1/21 (4 flowers), 3/21 (2), 1/22 (8), 1/23 (10)
Now, having said that, an anomaly occurred in one (only one) flower this current bloom. It has a yellow streak that seems to be emanating from the yellow in the lip in one of the lower sepals on ONE flower. I sent a photo to Jerry and asked him about it, after immediately testing again for virus!!!🙃 Negative again, thank God! Jerry responded, "No it’s fine. Sometimes they express the yellow from the lip in a petal once in a while, so it may not happen again for years if at all."
Other than that, my blooms have all been exactly the same re the flamea. Here is a photo of the flower with the yellow streak.E9EB5722-0614-4EB6-B5B2-EB670EB23634.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally remembered that I did in fact get Kathleen from Steven Kristofferson wayyy back then. So it is a virus free division of the original plant.

As for the yellow streak, anomalies can happen when the gene expression is triggered by some outside stressor, be it physical or chemical. I had once a gaskelliana pincelada that had the last fifth flower on the stem a pure alba.

I finally remembered that I did in fact get Kathleen from Steven Kristofferson wayyy back then. So it is a virus free division of the original plant.

As for the yellow streak, anomalies can happen when the gene expression is triggered by some outside stressor, be it physical or chemical. I had once a gaskelliana pincelada that had the last fifth flower on the stem a pure alba.
Interesting, Leslie. If you look on the Orchids Ltd. website, their original in the photo they used has a minor flare with less intense color, compared to what yours and mine have done. So. as was said, I guess it can vary, but I'm glad mine has not (except for the yellow streak).

Just a small note, for the correct genetic notation, the flammea is F and the normal is f.
I wonder whether there is there any difference in expression between the heterozygous flammeas that are Ff and the full homozygous ones FF?
Could there be any dose effect?
The crossing of a F with an f will range in flamea expression from a tiny fleck on petals (pincelada) to almost like a big FF flamea. It’s like a lottery lol.

Latest posts

Back