What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
juve8esy.jpg

This plus saranac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P4242592.jpg

We already got the eggs, so, the closed period is over now: rabbit! In garlic and thyme sauce, (caraway, ginger, pepper, hot chili, oreganum, bay-leaf, salt and sugar); the vegetables we have to choose, and a timbal of white rice with amaranth-seeds (eyes to the worms!); the dog gets the head and the leftovers... Ñamñam for all! Can't wait, already 'hungry'... me is the cook, obviously.

8upabase.jpg

Few nights ago made home-made guacamole with seasoned blue corn chips, chicken spiedies, roasted sweet and zucchini squash and key lime cheesecake pie

Had dinner at katz's deli in manhattan with nyeric last night; their home-made pastrami on rye with some French fries and orange soda

It was work to finish the whole sandwich (huge) but was very tender mmmmmmmmm
No room for dessert ;)

.... And wishing that eric m were there and/or posting after me about an amazing dinner he threw together

num, num, num. I had home made stew with okra, peppers, and tomatoes from my garden. Last harvest of the season.

Had dinner at katz's deli in manhattan with nyeric last night; their home-made pastrami on rye with some French fries and orange soda

It was work to finish the whole sandwich (huge) but was very tender mmmmmmmmm
No room for dessert ;)

I ate a the 2nd Ave Deli a few years back instead of Katz's. I wonder which is better (for their pastrami)… Eric? I certainly was very happy with it, but then again real pastrami in Japan is like looking for real Chinese food in Florida :rollhappy:

I ate a the 2nd Ave Deli a few years back instead of Katz's. I wonder which is better (for their pastrami)… Eric? I certainly was very happy with it, but then again real pastrami in Japan is like looking for real Chinese food in Florida :rollhappy:

There are lots of places in Florida with real Chinese food. Good indicators: if they sell chicken or duck feet, stinky tofu, jelly fish, or 1,000 year old duck egss.

Uptown 2nd Avenue Deli?? If it's the place I'm thinking about, I can't afford to walk into the joint!! I'm thinking of how I can send pastrami to Japan!!

I made chile rellenos for the first time last night; definitely a non-traditional sauce on top (not telling what was in it) but room-mate liked it (though he's a smoker and his wife usually cooks everything, and it was fried...).

there's definitely a learning curve with things kind of new; I usually don't fry things and the peppers were a little small and I didn't have the right sauce to start with, but they tasted good enough :) actually the peppers that had enough batter on them to make a nice coating tasted pretty good!
now next time there are anaheim peppers available I have to make sure i'm getting 'medium' not 'mild' :( might as well be using bell peppers or something like that

also made black beans and rice, separately, in the clay cooker

next time there are anaheim peppers available I have to make sure i'm getting 'medium' not 'mild'

let me know if I can send you some ghosts, Lemon Aji's or Fish peppers. They will light you up!!!:crazy:

I forgot about this thread. I had no idea it would become one of those unending ones with I first started it years ago. I also missed these comments!

There are lots of places in Florida with real Chinese food. Good indicators: if they sell chicken or duck feet, stinky tofu, jelly fish, or 1,000 year old duck egss.

Well, I must have been in the wrong places (though I lived there for 21 years!). Maybe I should amend my comment to "like finding good Chinese food in northern Florida" :D After eating the real McCoy up in the backwoods and byways of northern Sichuan I am a bit biased about what passes for good Chinese food now.

Uptown 2nd Avenue Deli?? If it's the place I'm thinking about, I can't afford to walk into the joint!! I'm thinking of how I can send pastrami to Japan!!

Ah, its the one not on 2nd ave anymore, I think its on east 33rd close to Lexington Avenue. Too pricey? The cost didn't surprise me for midtown NY, and honestly in Japan you pay a lot more for eating out considering that portions here are to say the least much smaller. Sending pastrami to Japan - I'm sure it can be done, but at what price :sob: Some Japanese companies are pretty good at making a facsimile of it, but it is a far cry from the real thing.

Made beef pot pie last weekend. Typical fare back in the states perhaps, but a rare delicacy in these parts.

Having read these posts I haven't seen(or heard) of anything to come remotely near to a Lancashire meat and potato pie with a suet crust and served with
pickled onions,red cabbage and brown sauce -- think Ill make one this weekend,

Ed

A couple of pounds of pastrami to Japan. You got it!

Well that's only one sandwich! :)

Having read these posts I haven't seen(or heard) of anything to come remotely near to a Lancashire meat and potato pie with a suet crust and served with
pickled onions,red cabbage and brown sauce -- think Ill make one this weekend,

Ed

Mmm, include a recipe!

Well, I'd better get some breakfast or my stomach is going to implode...

CChad, some peppers might be interesting! My housemate loves peppers though his wife is allergic; he tried brewing some pepper honey mead and there wasn't any heat. I think it just needed a hotter pepper

Well that's only one sandwich! :)

Mmm, include a recipe!

Well, I'd better get some breakfast or my stomach is going to implode..

2 lbs best stewing beef.
3 large onions,
5lb white potatoes.
2 oxo cubes ( crumbled )
Salt to taste
Water.

For the crust:-

4oz crumbled lard here it's called Atora.
8oz flour
salt
water.

Chop the meet in roughly 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large pot oven dish.
Peel the spuds and roughly chop them into 2" ( no more ) and place a layer on top of the potatoes followed by a layer of onions etc, etc until you've used all the solid ingredients. fill with cold water and cover pot with tinfoil. Place in oven
around 150c and cook , stir at intervals until the potatoes are soft and nearly falling apart. Mix the pastry and roll out to cover the pot and brush with yolk of an egg. You can cook this around 30mins.
This is a dish you can cook for hours---- the longer the better.
Enjoy with the pickles, red cabbage and brown sauce.

Ed. My pot measures 9" across x 7" deep.

Hey Phraggy I used to make that camping accept we called it 'hobo stew' due to the whole lot being cooked in a campfire wrapped in foil. I think it is a Boy Scout thing.

The smell still brings back memories.

Latest posts

Back