What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Phraggy I used to make that camping accept we called it 'hobo stew' due to the whole lot being cooked in a campfire wrapped in foil. I think it is a Boy Scout thing.

The smell still brings back memories.

I's not a stew. If cooked long enough you should almost be able to stand a fork up in it.!!!!

Ed

Mmm I have all of that except for the red cabbage, even have some New Mexico pecans. Not sure what the brown sauce is

You can send me both the pastrami and the sushi :D
Oh; I don't have cracklings (I do have rendered lard sticks for making crusts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like they have HP sauce at the local shoprite

Made baked chicken strips breaded with spicy panko and the batter from the relleno recipe (instead of frying them) last night

Thinking of making the shepherds pie with venison mmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I made chile rellenos a few nights ago which is Anaheim peppers stuffed with cheese, coated with a batter and fried, and last night I made oven baked chicken strips that I coated with the pepper coating and then dipped into spicy panko crumbs (panko is that breading for frying originally from Japan, big crunchy bread crumbs)

I found Hp sauce at the local shoprite today! I'll probably try the pie on Sunday with beef and venison stew meat

Mesclun salad with broiled sirloin steak, fresh Bosc pear sections coated in cinnamon, avacado sections w/ a little salt, red grapefruit sections, and a raspberry vinaigrette.

I used a very good sausage of the rolled kind. It has beef and pork in it.
The nice thing about Hoppin' John is that you can put anything in it and
it tastes good...kinda like gumbo in that way.

Charles, you're just a yankee. ;>) Hoppin' John is New Orleans food and a one dish meal. Poor folk in the South after the Civil War had to devise
dishes that were relatively cheap which includes Hoppin' John and all types of gumbo...also coffee with chicory. Love 'em all. Try Hoppin'
sometime. I think you'll love it.

Eric, I'm not SUPPOSED to eat pork, but I do.

Angela, neither my wife or I had buttermilk in the home when we were growing up. So now we don't include it in our diets.
My home had lard in the house and used it often. But we have never fried molasses.
So, no on that heart stopper you just described.

Amen to that!!!

"Just say, "No!"" - Nancy Reagan.

I think she meant, "don't smoke it."

Winter is beginning here (snow forecast today) and so hot foods are the thing for a few months. We made a big pot of nabe last weekend, which is a pot of boiled food cooked in a soup for a relatively short time. The soup stock is typically based on bonito and kelp, and to that you can add other things like kimchi or soy milk. Veggies, small strips of meat, tofu, seafood, noodles, dumplings, and even quail eggs are added as it boils and you eat it as it cooks. Nice on a cold day and pretty much a no brainer to make.

This weekend I'm making oden, another boiled food.

Latest posts

Back