What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few worth mentioning lately

roasted eggplant, chantrelle, and cheese focaccia served with chantrelle fettuccini. Simple but unstoppable, and the chantrelles had been plentiful in the woods last week here.

red curry from home made paste, eggplant, carrots, beans, and broccoli from my garden, home made sweet pickles, and tofu. I really wish I could share this curry with the world 'cause it turned out to be one of the best I've ever had, although I've never been anywhere known for good curries.

Forrest

Grilled alligator. I had a package that my oldest brought from Florida, so I tried it tonight with my youngest. It was a whole tail fillet, so I grilled it...used a supermarket jerk marinade. Well......it sort of......sucked. I was wary when I saw that it was treated with sodium tripolyphosphate..the stuff that ruins the texture of shrimp and scallops...it was tough, wet, dry, stringy, all at once...tasted like a refrigerator...maybe the stuff is good fresh, but not frozen like that. But, the meal was redeemed by a great garlic bread! Took parsley, garlic, sent it through the cuisinart...blended it with a stick of buter and olive oil, some anchovy paste..smeared it on the bread which was baked in the oven...opened and toasted just before serving! Vegetables....I saw a package of radicchio in the supermarket...one of those "manager's specials" I would ordinarily ignore as the food is old and crappy...but these were fine, only dry outer leaves...4 big heads for $.99 I split them, drizzled them with olive oil and a little balsamic and salt ...would have been better with only olive oil, but still really good. Had a great Spanish garnach rose with it.

best alligator I've had was ground, mixed with pork fatn seasoned and made into meatballs or ravioli filling.

Forrest

Home made tortillas, my aunts recipe, and beans flavored with smoked pork hocks. i really like this thread, i like to find out what people around the country and around the world are eating and i like to cook!

Tonight after work (11PM), 'dinner' was three doughnuts, two ice cream bars, and bowl of my fresh, home-made black bean salsa (made with my home-grown sweet heirloom tomatoes!) with tortilla chips - and of course a tall glass of cold water.

My REAL dinner, at 3PM before work, was fettucine tossed with my homemade pesto (I grow my own basil), walnuts, and vegetarian meat substitute; side of whole grain bread and the ubiquitous tall glass of cold water. This is what I eat for dinner probably 70% of the days of the year. I really like it.

I've been working on a very indulgent meal for this evening: grilled chicken, tzatziki over fresh mashed potatoes, a romaine tossed salad with english walnuts, fresh baked apple crumb cobbler with homemade vanilla bean ice cream.

I've already prepared the tzatziki. The apple crumb cobbler is baked and cooling. The potatoes are peeled and in the pot, ready to boil. The chicken is marinating. The salad and ice cream ingredients are all prepped and staged for assembly/production. I must go soon and get busy again. :clap:

Nashville hot chicken. it's called hot chicken because it first gets brined in a hot sauce mixture then dredged and fried then rubbed with a ground cayenne pepper (1 tablespoon)infused oil mixture it's quite funny when i serve this to my family because seconds after their first bite their running for the nearest milk, water, or bread whilst i sitting there unfazed, eating an extra hot portion (3 tablespoons of cayenne and a teaspoon dry ground mustard):evil: !

cruel treatment of family members! ;) leftovers of baked pork loin chops seasoned with olive oil, marjoram black pepper and garlic salt; along with rice cooked with chicken stock. dessert peach, plum, nectarine, apricot, blueberry and raspberry pie topped with oatmeal/brown sugar topping mmmmmmmmmmmm

Nashville hot chicken. it's called hot chicken because it first gets brined in a hot sauce mixture then dredged and fried then rubbed with a ground cayenne pepper (1 tablespoon)infused oil mixture it's quite funny when i serve this to my family because seconds after their first bite their running for the nearest milk, water, or bread whilst i sitting there unfazed, eating an extra hot portion (3 tablespoons of cayenne and a teaspoon dry ground mustard):evil: !

That recipe sounds fantastic. You must come to the jolokia fest! :evil:

bring on the hot peppers!:evil:
for some odd reason I've lost the feeling in my mouth when it comes to super hot food, which is really weird because when i was little i couldn't stand mild salsa:confused:

now for tonight's menu! I'll be burning down the grill while cooking beef ribs and steak :evil: the side dishes are my moms problem :noangel:

Grilled jumbo shrimp and wild king salmon marinated in olive oil, rose wine, orange juice, rosemary, garlic, cilantro, lime juice with a touch of sugar and fish sauce. Grilled some fresh white corn with it...drank with an Argentine rose...MMmmm!

So tonight I decided to use up the last of the clams my son dug up last week. 5 big ones, which I stuffed. Shucked the clams, then chopped them and dumped them in a bowl. Chopped a small (home grown) hot pepper along with 2 cloves of garlic. Added some capers, a tiny bit of chopped chorizo, some parsley and chopped chives. Added back some clam juice and some of last night's rose. Added breadcrumbs to make a paste, along with olive oil. Stuffed the shells and baked for 10 minutes. Took them out, topped with a pat of butter and some lime juice, then broiled for another 5-10 minutes. Really good!

Latest posts

Back