Starting over...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I said I'd never do this but it's happening.
So far I have in my possession......

Paph Michael Koopowitz (sanderianum 'Deep Pockets' x roebelinii 'Grace' AM/AOS)...bought in bud from John
Paph glanduliferum v praestans....BS
Paph godefroyae....BS
Paph micranthum v eburneum...NBS
Paph wardii...NBS
Paph delenatii alba...NBS
Paph sangii...large seeding

Paph (Impulse x Ruby Leopard) 'Pink Doll' x Hsinying Glory 'HOF'...BS

I have more multi species coming from Zephyrus next week. Someone help me....I can't stop.....:rollhappy:

Oh dear...it's grown yet again......

Paph Michael Koopowitz (sanderianum 'Deep Pockets' x roebelinii 'Grace' AM/AOS)
Paph glanduliferum v praestans....BS
Paph godefroyae....BS
Paph wardii...NBS
Paph delenatii alba...NBS
Paph sangii...large seeding
Paph sangii x sib....MS
Paph philipinnense....BS
Paph parishii......NBS
Paph rothschildianum ('Gigantic' FCC/AOS x 'Canadian Club' G/JOGA)....SS
Paph randsii x self....SS
Paph hookerae x sib ('Titanic' x 'Purple Wing')...MS
Paph (Impulse x Ruby Leopard) 'Pink Doll' x Hsinying Glory 'HOF'...BS
Paph Hung Sheng Eagle.....NBS
Paph Chi Hua Dancer.....BS
Paph kolopakingii 'Gregory'....div
Paph stonei 'The Best' x 'New Dimension'....LS
Paph Sander's Pride (stonei 'Wesley' x sanderianum 'Twister')...BS

This was almost too easy..:evil:

I like it. Much more robust and spacious than my set up. I simply have one of those black humidity trays you have on the left hand side.

Coming in September......

Paph supardii...BS
Paph rothschildianum...NBS (from two FCC parents)
and one more undecided....

Wendy, is that big window facing east? I've seen some
rather amazing shelving that's made of either glass or some kind of transparent plastic (acrylic maybe) that can
be arranged in several different configurations. Anyway,
the shelves can be attached to the window frames and
appears very sturdy. The one I saw held an amazing number of plants. If you troll the net, I'll bet you could
make that window amazingly beautiful and get your plants off the floor. I think the pussycats would like it
too! ;>)

Thanks Angela but it is south facing. That would be too much sun plus we don't want plants totally filling the window. It is our living room and we have those big drapes as well. Our house is fairly close to the road and we need to close them at night for privacy. I'm actually looking for another suitable table for behind the couch. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

Ah well, just a thought when I saw the shelving in some
home decorating catalog or other. Transparent step
shelving is available too made of acrylic. Just tell me to
mind my own business. My house is mostly glass and I
had similar problems before building the gh.

Wendy, what is humidity like in your growing area during winter time when furnace works? I would like to have BS multies but space limit in tanks stops me at the moment (with dreams of a greenhouse when all my seedlings grow up). I wonder if they would be ok in the house, I have lots of large windows, but humidity drops to 25%-30% during winter. Do humidity trays help?

from my experience multi's can grow fine in a northern house in the winter. they can handle humidity down in the 20s and 30s for a few months. humidity trays will only make a negligible difference. i use a large humidifier near the plant area which can raise the humidity there to the 40s and 50s in they daytime.

would they prefer a hot humid greenhouse all year? sure. you would get better flowers and bigger plants i a greenhouse. but they will do ok in the house.

Wendy, what is humidity like in your growing area during winter time when furnace works? I would like to have BS multies but space limit in tanks stops me at the moment (with dreams of a greenhouse when all my seedlings grow up). I wonder if they would be ok in the house, I have lots of large windows, but humidity drops to 25%-30% during winter. Do humidity trays help?

The humidity drops way down ~30% in the winter but it doesn't seem to bother them for only a few months. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as they are warm, bright and have good quality water they do just fine. The only drawback is with the longer petaled Paphs......the flowers don't last as long as the petal tips dry out faster with the low humidity. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things though. I don't bother with humidity trays....way over rated in a home environment.

Back