C. lueddemanniana coerulea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
So excited to finally see this in bloom, it has exceeded all my expectations. A select division purchased from Steven Christoffersen, this plant originally came out of the breeding program of Drago Strahija from his cross of C. lueddemanniana coerulea 'Siquisiqui' AM/AOS x 'Amparo'. My understanding is that 'Siquisiqui' and 'Amparo' were two of the original 4 type coerulea lueddemannianas collected from the jungle. This plant is incredibly vigorous under LEDs, throwing multiple leads and multiple growths per year. My first flowering of this plant, it has 3 flowers (on the smaller side for lueddemanniana) but that give off the most intense fragrance of any cattleya I have yet flowered. I love the splash/waterfall/veining pattern on the lip, much more than the coeruleas with a solid lip. Based on this flowering I would call it a "C. lueddemanniana coerulea pincelada venosa", I'm certainly not a taxonimist, so I'm curious to see what others think of that? As far as I know this plant is not awarded, but I would think on a good blooming it should be competitive for a quality award.
aIMG_8054.JPGbIMG_8160.JPG

Here are so photos with a black background, which I find distorts the color a bit, making the lip look more lavender than purple:
bIMG_8064.JPGbIMG_8108.JPGcIMG_8087.JPG

Here's a photo with one of my blooming paphs, which really emphasizes how gray the petals are:
cIMG_8124.JPG
cIMG_8180.JPG

Wow you lucked out in the genetic lottery for this cross. Very nice.
The bar is set very high for awards for this type of lueddemanniana as the wild coerulea parents found were so good. Armando Mantellini reckons that the coerulea clone ‘mariauxi’ is the very best wild lueddemanniana ever found.

Great color great lip, love the veins - not all have them - the flaw I see is the folding on the top of the petals. I'd look at it in judging. I have 'Drago #3' which is similar but I bet yours is not that one.

Been busy the past couple weeks, so I haven't had time to post much, but I did snap some shots before the flowers dropped and they continued to develop the dark veining. It has a second growth developing with a sheath right now, so fingers crossed for another round of blooms.
aaIMG_8152.jpgaaIMG_8276.jpg

Good job in blooming this.

I would classify this as coerulea pincelada. I refrained from the venosa designation because the striations would be more darker and distinct.

At the present time, it is not within the awardable standards, but with improvement in petal shape and lip roundness, in subsequent bloomings, it has a good chance. Keep it happy!

Good job in blooming this.

I would classify this as coerulea pincelada. I refrained from the venosa designation because the striations would be more darker and distinct.

At the present time, it is not within the awardable standards, but with improvement in petal shape and lip roundness, in subsequent bloomings, it has a good chance. Keep it happy!
I doubt I will ever be able to flower it to award standards, but this is the photo Steven Christoffersen posted to his instagram that made me immediately want to acquire a division. It can certainly be spectacular when flowered well (again, not my photo):
s-l1600.jpeg

I have 'Drago No. 3' which also has the veining - not all do - and yours looks just about as good. Unlike other species, the veins in lueddemanniana coerulea appear to me to be unpigmented, so darker in that they absorb light, rather than veins carrying more pigment as we would often use "venosa" to describe.

I doubt I will ever be able to flower it to award standards, but this is the photo Steven Christoffersen posted to his instagram that made me immediately want to acquire a division. It can certainly be spectacular when flowered well (again, not my photo):
View attachment 46320
Huge award potential at this flowering in photo.

Trust in yourself you can do it!!! We believe in you!

Latest posts

Back