Cattleya lueddemanniana ‘luz de luna’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1515.jpegIMG_1514.jpegI posted a photo last April of the first time this plant flowered. It was probably the first catt that flowered under the new setup and lights.
Since then I’ve repotted it and split it into two. Both divisions produced a smaller non flowering growth in the summer and a good set of roots. Now both have a new large growth and the more forward division is in bloom. The flowers are much better than last April.
Who doesn’t like a good lueddemanniana? They’re one of the smaller growers, this one has produced two 14cm x 16 cm flowers on a growth just 25cm high.
They have the darkest rubra colours in all of the unifoliates as well as some stunning coeruleas. Plus the scent is terrific.
This clone is very vigorous. Under my conditions it appears that they all grow at least two leads a year.
David

It came labelled as a concolor but it’s not a label I’m confident in using so I leave it off.
It‘s one from Max that came correctly labelled!
I‘m very happy with it. It’s probably from South American breeding.

Leslie’s description of a concolor lueddemanniana back in 2021 when you had another postal said that the base color of the lip needed to be the color of the petals, but there could be yellow, but no other red/purple/magenta on the lips - no anthocyanin. That would make this one not a concolor.

Indeed Terry, that’s what I thought. It did have a label as a concolor when I bought it. This description seems to be applied to many pale flowered forms of species whether or not they conform strictly to the form.

Under general color category, this is usually considered a concolor by vendors and collectors. But for true technical definition of no red in throat, it isn’t. There are lueddie concolors with no red out there.

Guru, it’s probably a slightly larger bloom than the first one. I love this clone. Whether it will be even bigger on a large plant we will have to wait and see. It’s probably line bred for at least one generation.

Terry, the LEDs are quite powerful. Even at 75% the growth and flowering is good. I turned it down from 100% as a few plants were starting to bleach. A single laelia purpurata, a mossiae, a laelia tenebrosa. Other purpuratas and mossiaes are fine and all plants have good roots, so it’s probably down to the reaction of individual clones. Everything else is fine.
We’ll see how 75% goes for now. It’s cheaper to run!
Ozpaph, it’s a spectacular clone. I’m with you on this one.

Terry, the LEDs are quite powerful. Even at 75% the growth and flowering is good. I turned it down from 100% as a few plants were starting to bleach. A single laelia purpurata, a mossiae, a laelia tenebrosa. Other purpuratas and mossiaes are fine and all plants have good roots, so it’s probably down to the reaction of individual clones. Everything else is fine.
We’ll see how 75% goes for now. It’s cheaper to run!
Ozpaph, it’s a spectacular clone. I’m with you on this one.
I wish I could beam you my Apogee meter so I could know what your peak photon flux density is right now!

Latest posts

Back