Cattleya Bob Betts ‘white lightning’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that this is just a fantastic job of growing this clone! Incredible.

I would not be too disappointed in terms of size, I mean there are no guarantees. You just grow it to the best of your ability, the best according to what your conditions allow for. I would like to simply point out to you and remind you, are four, 7" flowers really all that bad??? Say you got a total of four, 8" flowers. What is the real difference there?! An inch per flower? Does that extra inch make them more beautiful some how?
There are just so many variables involved leading to flower size. I won't waste time going in to them at all. Just a great job of growing!!!

I meant that the growths are much smaller than they can make. I’ve high hopes that after the house move and the installation of the new set up with LED’s, we will eventually see larger bulbs.
The other catts appear very happy with it.

Well I understand what you are hoping for. I too am hoping for better flower production and better growth with my new bank of 8 tubes. But I am seeking bud production. I don’t have a great % of blooming growths but I need to be patient.
I need to give it at least a year, maybe more.
For my own considerations, I don’t really look for size.
I use to as a student judge. Back in ‘95, it was ALL bigger is better in terms of AOS flower quality awards. Then roughly 18-24 months later we experience a turn around. “Bigger is not necessarily better!” We as student judges are encouraged to evaluate and award based on better form! It is still that way today.
So I will offer this to you as my mentors said to me in 1997, “size isn’t everything”.

David, I don’t think you have described your new growing space. How many plants can you accommodate? What lights are you using and what intensity/day length are you using with your Cattleyas? Do you have good control of temperature so you can have a summer and winter season? We all feel there is something missing in our own setup and look for ideas from others!

Latest posts

Back