Cattleya Adrienne de Wavrin (coerulea): maxima 'True Blue' x warscewiczii 'Fernbrook'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First bloom of my plant from an Orchids Limited cross.
IMG_2500.jpeg

Adrienne de Wavrin was RHS registered in 1906. I know nothing about RHS awards but there has only been one registered progeny of Adrienne de Wavrin, so it has not been well regarded as a parent.

There is only one AOS award (an HCC) for Adrienne de Wavrin (an alba) given to Plato Mathews in 2016 on a plant with three flowers with strong warscewiczii influence. Waldors had a now-sold-out new cross of alba Adrienne de Wavrin, but I haven’t seen pictures of the results.

Orchids Limited flowered their first coerulea Adrienne de Wavrin and it is shown in the following link:

https://www.orchidweb.com/orchids/c...ue-blue-x-warscewiczii-var-coerulea-fernbrook
I think their flower has strong warscewiczii influence, whereas my flower more resembles maxima. I think the coloration of my flower is a good coerulea “gray-purple”.

I would have preferred more warscewiczii influence in my flower, but perhaps a more mature plant will produce multiple flowers and be attractive. If not, I don’t think I will keep it.

I like the light grey, and that it’s very uniform, almost concolor-esque.

Color is so uniform it’s almost mesmerizing to me. I don’t have any real experience with C. warsz. having killed a couple so am not familiar with the cross but I’d give it another bloom.
Made the decision today to get rid of the plant. Even with substantial improvement the configuration is not going to be great and I honestly don’t like the very grey purple. I guess I don’t really like true coerulea! I needed the space for other plants that are getting larger. A good example of being honest about a mediocre plant. Cut your loss and don’t invest more time and effort.

Made the decision today to get rid of the plant. Even with substantial improvement the configuration is not going to be great and I honestly don’t like the very grey purple. I guess I don’t really like true coerulea! I needed the space for other plants that are getting larger. A good example of being honest about a mediocre plant. Cut your loss and don’t invest more time and effort.
Just breathe and carry on 😣.

It's not a "throw-away," it's just not an award quality plant. If you like coeruleas, the colour and the lip are both good. Many species Cattleyas don't have good form: look at most C. dowianas!

The truth is that most coerulea cattleya with decent form are hybrids, unfortunate but the case nonetheless. I do have a soft spot for coerulea but I, like most on this page am demanding. I am not trying to create a demand for business as it will be a while, the pod is just 6 months into it's 9 month cycle but is quite substantial. I have a good Canhamiana and am growing Leslie.s AM coerulea jenmanii 'Charlie" I stumbled on the cross Canaina's Gisela (Canhamiana x jenmanii) and was intrigued by the wonderful distribution of coerulea in the lip. The 49th parallel sucks for orchid growers so if we want something we have to make it ourselves. It is very important to me that plants have good vigor and both of these plants are bulletproof. Of note is that both parents have good lips and an erect dorsal sepal, something demanded in a quality grex. Parents and progeny pic below. Cheers.

Attachments

• Canhamiana Azure Sky - title.jpg
    Canhamiana Azure Sky - title.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 0
  • jenmanii caerulea titled.jpg
    jenmanii caerulea titled.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Canhamiana's Gisela titled.jpg
    Canhamiana's Gisela titled.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
Three outstanding flowers, David. Having studied a bit about the genetics of Cattleya coloration, I appreciate the difficulty in creating a coerulea flower. My problem is mostly aesthetic - I just don’t like the coerulea color as well as lavender, rubra, white, or semi-alba. Bright purple - yes! Muted, gray/purple not so much. I don’t understand it, but there is no accounting for taste.

The truth is that most coerulea cattleya with decent form are hybrids, unfortunate but the case nonetheless. I do have a soft spot for coerulea but I, like most on this page am demanding. I am not trying to create a demand for business as it will be a while, the pod is just 6 months into it's 9 month cycle but is quite substantial. I have a good Canhamiana and am growing Leslie.s AM coerulea jenmanii 'Charlie" I stumbled on the cross Canaina's Gisela (Canhamiana x jenmanii) and was intrigued by the wonderful distribution of coerulea in the lip. The 49th parallel sucks for orchid growers so if we want something we have to make it ourselves. It is very important to me that plants have good vigor and both of these plants are bulletproof. Of note is that both parents have good lips and an erect dorsal sepal, something demanded in a quality grex. Parents and progeny pic below. Cheers.
I wish you success with your hybrid!

First bloom of my plant from an Orchids Limited cross.
View attachment 43574

Adrienne de Wavrin was RHS registered in 1906. I know nothing about RHS awards but there has only been one registered progeny of Adrienne de Wavrin, so it has not been well regarded as a parent.

There is only one AOS award (an HCC) for Adrienne de Wavrin (an alba) given to Plato Mathews in 2016 on a plant with three flowers with strong warscewiczii influence. Waldors had a now-sold-out new cross of alba Adrienne de Wavrin, but I haven’t seen pictures of the results.

Orchids Limited flowered their first coerulea Adrienne de Wavrin and it is shown in the following link:

https://www.orchidweb.com/orchids/c...ue-blue-x-warscewiczii-var-coerulea-fernbrook
I think their flower has strong warscewiczii influence, whereas my flower more resembles maxima. I think the coloration of my flower is a good coerulea “gray-purple”.

I would have preferred more warscewiczii influence in my flower, but perhaps a more mature plant will produce multiple flowers and be attractive. If not, I don’t think I will keep it.
Love coerulea color form. I have only one in my collection. Cattleya Chloris coerulea
Produce 5 blooms per spike, currently spiking

Attachments

• PXL_20230421_223047330.jpg
    PXL_20230421_223047330.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back