Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldmvett

Reaction score
I am a new member from the upstate of New York. I grow orchids indoors under lights. I have grown orchids for many years, but I have time now to improve my knowledge and orchid collections. Paph and others have been my favorites for a long time.
I have questions about a NOID Paph.

I have three paph and several other types of orchids. I have had a Paph that has not bloomed in 30 years! I know, but I kept it, hoping it would. I lost the tag long ago and cannot remember its name. I have about 15 plants from the mother plant and have given away 15 as well. It is not a clone; the leaves are impressive and healthy. I have shared it with people who are quite experienced with paph, and so far, they have not had success with it blooming. It is a tesselated --- lower leaf is pale green. It has been potted in various media- sphagnum, sphagnum and pine bark, pine bark, and leca, all with some large perlite and charcoal. Water is RO, and the lighting is bright ( need to measure), but phal blooms well, as do others. I do not grow Cats, however. I fertilize lightly, have given them a break lately, and have flushed them well. Getting ready to start up fertilization again. Temp is moderate, with a 10-degree change at night. Have been outside in the summer and come in when it goes below 45. This is from the last few years. In prior years, they never went out. Some are single fans, others are multiple fans, some leaves are 6-7 inches long, and others are about 3-4 inches. Any suggestions, comments, or help?
I would love to see it bloom someday.

These photos of the same plant.posted about as a new member from upstate NY.

Attachments

• IMG_8259.jpeg
    IMG_8259.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8258.jpeg
    IMG_8258.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Welcome! Your plant is an intersectional hybrid of a species from subgenus Polyantha crossed with a species from subgenus Parvisepalum. This particular area of Paph hybridizing is notorious for producing plants that are very difficult to bloom. They can grow very well, but some pants will never flower. Yours looks like it could be Paph Harold Koopowitz (Paph malipoense x Paph rothschildianum).

I have a Paph Delrosi (delenatii x rothschildianum) which I purchased as a mature plant in 2006. It has never bloomed.

Welcome! Your plant is an intersectional hybrid of a species from subgenus Polyantha crossed with a species from subgenus Parvisepalum. This particular area of Paph hybridizing is notorious for producing plants that are very difficult to bloom. They can grow very well, but some pants will never flower. Yours looks like it could be Paph Harold Koopowitz (Paph malipoense x Paph rothschildianum).

I have a Paph Delrosi (delenatii x rothschildianum) which I purchased as a mature plant in 2006. It has never bloomed.
Oh no! It had a bloom when I bought it. Anything you might suggest to try in addition to what I do?

It is growing well. I would try a 30-10-10 fert in the summer and drop the nighttime temps in the fall.

Welcome from NYC. Looks like a Delrosi or x armeniacum. How long are the leaves? What color was the bloom?
The leaves are about 5 inches, but one plant has developed ~7 leaves just this year. I can’t say for sure about the color of the blossom….been so long, but I have been a lover of dark maroon slippers and long sepals and probably bought this color.
Welcome from NYC. Looks like a Delrosi or x armeniacum. How long are the leaves? What color was the bloom?

The leaves are about 5 inches, but one plant has developed ~7 leaves just this year. I can’t say for sure about the color of the blossom….been so long, but I have been a lover of dark maroon slippers and long sepals and probably bought this color.
Search for Paph Delrosi.

Back