Paph. Primulinum v. liltii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww, gee -- I'm just lucky. :eek:

I don't have a greenhouse. Yet. I put all my plants outside in the Summer, in stands which is under shadecloth. The orchids that grow brighter (Phrags, Dendrobiums, Catts, Vandaceous) are on the South side of my house with about 60% shade. The Paphs are in a little greenhouse covered with shadecloth rather than plastic, and that is under a tree. It gets morning sun and some dappled sun the rest of the day. (There is a photo of this in Lynn O'Shaughnessy's Article on Pleurs in the current issue of Orchid Digest.) My Phals are in a corner, under shadecloth, that gets morning sun but is shaded by the house from about 11:00 on. This year I put my Zygos and all seedlings on the North-facing porch which got sun until about 10 am.

The rest of the year, the plants are in the house in two places. One is a sunroom where I put the intermediate growers. The other is in the basement in a "greenhouse" we constructed using PVC pipe covered with plastic. Inside are stands with fluorescent lights. This is where most of my Paphs and Phrags grow. This space has an oscillating fan and a small humidifier.

Inside, all my plants are on humidity trays so I can water each plant individually with the pot draining into the trays. When you have enough trays with water in them, it does add some humidity to the area. I used to use only rain water & snow melt, but this year I'm using rain water in the sunroom, and have a tap in the basement for well water for the plants down there. My well water is high in calcium and iron, but very low in other salts. I let the water set in buckets to warm to room temperature, both upstairs and downstairs. The well water's iron seems to mostly settle to the bottom of the buckets, so I don't worry about that. My orchids seem to like the calcium.

Outside, I water with a hose using my well water. The hoses are long enough that they warm the water a bit before I use it.

I fertilize mostly with the MSU formula.

My slipper mix is diatomite + CHC + a little sponge rock. A few slippers are in Semi-Hydo. I water Phrags twice a week, and most of my Paphs once a week. But for many of them, I use the "lift the pot" method to determine if they need water half-way through the week.

In a nutshell, that's about it. I doubt if it is that much different than what anyone else does. I think the key is to learn from the plants what pleases them. That takes time, and I'm sorry to say, many failures. But that doesn't deter orchid addicts! :smitten: :D

Dot - thanks for the growing info.

About your photos - even photos of your pots are amazing! How do you do it? Keep it up!

Fantastic plant! What temps do you grow this one at?

I dont want to hijack this thread, but Dot how do you water in the basement? And even with the fans circulating air inside the PVC structure, do you ever have a big problem with fungal rot, especially with the phrags or strap leaf multis? Do you do lots of preventative spraying? and Are you bringing in fresh air to the PVC greenhouse or recirculating air knowing their is leakage bringing in fresh air? - thanks :eek:

Fantastic plant! What temps do you grow this one at?
Pretty much as explained above. Right now, the plant in in my sunroom in the South window. When it finished blooming, I'll put it in my basement "greenhouse."

I dont want to hijack this thread, but Dot how do you water in the basement? And even with the fans circulating air inside the PVC structure, do you ever have a big problem with fungal rot, especially with the phrags or strap leaf multis? Do you do lots of preventative spraying? and Are you bringing in fresh air to the PVC greenhouse or recirculating air knowing their is leakage bringing in fresh air? - thanks :eek:
Also stated above: In the basement, I draw well water into buckets and let them set to get to room temperature. All my plants are sitting on humidity trays, and I water them with a watering can individually.

Regarding air -- the plastic is draped over the PVC pipes and is held together with clothespins. They do flutter somewhat, so there is some exchange between the air inside the enclosure and the rest of the basement, but I don't bring in outside air. The humidity inside is between 65 & 70% most of the time.

I don't have any more problem with rot on my phrags inside than I do when they are outside. The fan is always on, so there is good circulation in there. In my sunroom, I have an oscillating fan as well as a ceiling fan.

I do not do any preventive spraying. If I do have rot, I usually catch it pretty early -- one has to keep an eye on all one's plants, you know, for any sign of disease or infestation. I remove the rot and use either cinnamon, hydrogen peroxide, or Dragon's Blood -- or a combination thereof.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much as explained above. Right now, the plant in in my sunroom in the South window. When it finished blooming, I'll put it in my basement "greenhouse."

I didn't see any temps indicated, which is why I asked. Outside is summer is pretty self-explanitory, but what temps do you keep inside? This plant is in the sunroom, so does it get hot in there, or does it stay cool?

I didn't see any temps indicated, which is why I asked. Outside is summer is pretty self-explanitory, but what temps do you keep inside? This plant is in the sunroom, so does it get hot in there, or does it stay cool?
Ah, I understand now.

Other than our barely-heated upstairs, the sunroom gets the coolest night temps. In the coldest weather, it can get down to 62ºF, but mostly it gets down to about 65. In the Winter, it rarely gets above 78. Most of the time during the day, it's between 70 and 75. The basement greenhouse rarely gets below 67, or above 75.

Thanks. Still too warm for me. Oh well. I'll concentrate on the Parvis and Phrags then. Mostly all my orchids get indoor winter minimums of 10-14 Celcius (50-58F). It even gets that low sometimes during the summer when they are outside! That's why I haven't tried any Cochlos or multifolrals yet. I should try, just to see how they would do.

Thanks. Still too warm for me. Oh well. I'll concentrate on the Parvis and Phrags then. Mostly all my orchids get indoor winter minimums of 10-14 Celcius (50-58F). It even gets that low sometimes during the summer when they are outside! That's why I haven't tried any Cochlos or multifolrals yet. I should try, just to see how they would do.
I wouldn't be discouraged from trying. Paphs seem to adapt to many different situations. When mine are outside for the Summer, sometimes the temps dip down into the low 50's -- that happened quite often this summer. And I don't bring them in until the lows go consistently into the 40's. They've even experienced the 30's a couple of times. I have Paphs from all the different groups, and they experience quite similar growing conditions since they're all outside, and inside, there really isn't that much temperature difference. If I ever get a greenhouse, I'll probably set the nighttime lows between 55 - 60ºF.

Latest posts

Back