Paph ooii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bolero

Any thoughts on culture for this? I have the opportunity to get some and am just wondering how to grow them before I order 1 or 2.

Thanks guys, I know i can count on you!

WHAT! Show-off! I'm sure members of this group of growers (ooii growers) are far and few between!:evil:

Are these mature plants? Are they seedlings?

I just saw Michael Ooi a coupla days ago and he tells me P. ooi is extremely difficult to grow. He doesn't grow them in Penang.... too hot, but he has some in the mountains that seem to be doing okay.

This species comes from a continuously wet area, cold and foggy all the time. He said he'd never go back there, no matter what.

If you cannot meet those conditions I hope you might know of another grower who could, then maybe we can keep this species in cultivation. Looks like it's a real toughie. I'd hate to lose it.

Can you give us any info on the history of those plants?

I grow Masdevallias and some Drac's but not many of the latter.

All I know is that they are seedlings that have come from flask.

I wasn't showing off, are they really that hard to come by? I will have to grab a couple. I grow parvi's outside in the cooler temps in winter here but it never gets to freezing. We have cool winters and hot summers and autumn and spring are perfect usually.

Hmmmmmm I am thinking I should give them a go.

if your source is the same as what I'm thinking of, the last purchases I had from this vendor, the plants were very tiny, ie straight out of flask size... but all the plants I purchased has survived bar one... i think the ooii won't be ready till october...

What substrate do they grow in?

The problem with wet and cold is that wet and cold, together with certain substrates equal wet and dead. To grow Masdies and Disa in my hot sunny south africa climate, I have to grow them in either gravel/peat or in live moss which I grow over a stony substrate constantly full of water. Maybe, fill the bottom of a pot with lime stone and try grow some sphagnum or Java moss over it for the plants?

Despite the fact that dead Sphagnum moss will kill many orchids when left too long in the pot, ...LIVE Sphagnum moss is a life-saver to most all species of orchids.

I found this out in 1969 and it is in fact, what has allowed P. delenatii to become one of the most plentiful species of paphs. You can buy one in flower for $20 these days.

If anyone does manage to get plants of P. ooi, either seedlings or mature, I would suggest this:

Get appropriate size WHITE pots; NOT clear ones. Wrap live, growing Sphagnum moss around the roots of the plant and press he bundle into the pot. Wrap more moss if necessary and re-pot. Firm but not too tight. Water with distilled water only and place in bright part of the greenhouse.

Clear pots will allow algae to grow which will overtake the moss; white pots will allow the moss to continue to grow and at about the time the moss has expanded, it will be time to pot to the next size up.

If you follow these instructions you will have success.

Despite the fact that dead Sphagnum moss will kill many orchids when left too long in the pot, ...LIVE Sphagnum moss is a life-saver to most all species of orchids.

I found this out in 1969 and it is in fact, what has allowed P. delenatii to become one of the most plentiful species of paphs. You can buy one in flower for $20 these days.

If anyone does manage to get plants of P. ooi, either seedlings or mature, I would suggest this:

Get appropriate size WHITE pots; NOT clear ones. Wrap live, growing Sphagnum moss around the roots of the plant and press he bundle into the pot. Wrap more moss if necessary and re-pot. Firm but not too tight. Water with distilled water only and place in bright part of the greenhouse.

Clear pots will allow algae to grow which will overtake the moss; white pots will allow the moss to continue to grow and at about the time the moss has expanded, it will be time to pot to the next size up.

If you follow these instructions you will have success.

Would that work for paph anitum as well? Thanks

I guess I've never looked into it, but where does one get Live sphag? I've only ever gotten the dried kind, and occasionally a small section will start growing, but it doesn't seem to last long. I do use clear pots though, so it probably is an algae issue.

Thanks for the tip Lance, why white pots and not black or green or red (these are all the different plastic pot colours I have :) )

White would let through enough light for the moss to grow without the algae getting enough to light to develop. I think that's what he means but hopefully he will clarify that.

Thanks Lance for the help.

i think sphag is native in many parts of the country. i have friends in ri who collect their own.
i've seen it on ebay, too or maybe a carnivorous plant vendor or grower?

I'm with SlipperFan - who knows a viable source for those not living in a humid forest area?

Any thoughts on culture for this? I have the opportunity to get some and am just wondering how to grow them before I order 1 or 2.

Thanks guys, I know i can count on you!

Based on the difficulty growing this species, sounds like ordering zero of them should be a definite option :poke: ;)

e-spice

Latest posts

Back