Paph ooii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Lance that something magic happens with the use of live moss. When I get it to grow for me, the paphs in it do great.

Keeping it from getting over run with blue green algae is a concern. opaque pots will help, but also reduced fertilizer may be required.

I had much more success with moss growth when my GH was generally cooler and I used MSU fert at 1/4 strength.

Lance reffered to sphagnum specifically, but I've had some good results with other species of moss to.

Any thoughts on culture for this? I have the opportunity to get some and am just wondering how to grow them before I order 1 or 2.

Thanks guys, I know i can count on you!

Paph. ooii is standard growing Paph.Is well known to be difficult to grow because all plants collected and distributed,first have been taken to lowland malaysia and grown for a while there...with the result of dehydration.
Also collectors use to cut off a lot of roots when they collect and so the plants have no roots.Paph ooii have a huge rhizome and huge aerial part(leaves) and with no roots have compleately no equilibrium.As start to loose water,the process became very difficult to stop...so plants became smaller and smaller takeing food from the leaves remaining with no ability to put out new wealthy roots...
In my opinion plants from flask will be quite easy to grow.
I suggest the same conditions of Dend. cuthbertsonii.
I will use a mix of lava rock,white marble,perlite and charcoal....a lot of water but extreamely good drainage.

Paph. ooii is standard growing Paph.Is well known to be difficult to grow because all plants collected and distributed,first have been taken to lowland malaysia and grown for a while there...with the result of dehydration.
Also collectors use to cut off a lot of roots when they collect and so the plants have no roots.Paph ooii have a huge rhizome and huge aerial part(leaves) and with no roots have compleately no equilibrium.As start to loose water,the process became very difficult to stop...so plants became smaller and smaller takeing food from the leaves remaining with no ability to put out new wealthy roots...
In my opinion plants from flask will be quite easy to grow.
I suggest the same conditions of Dend. cuthbertsonii.
I will use a mix of lava rock,white marble,perlite and charcoal....a lot of water but extreamely good drainage.

cuthbertsonii needs cool conditions and the leaves kept dry but lots of moisture at the roots. So is that what you're suggesting? I am still waiting for them but they are seedlings that have come from flask. I think I am getting 3 plants so it gives me a little room to experiment with conditions.

Seeing you are suggesting similar conditions to cuthbertsonii, are you suggesting similar conditions to Masdevallia and Dracula then?

Thanks, this is most interesting.

I, too, would like to know where one can get live sphagnum. I really don't like the dead stuff for orchids.

Find a damp highland area like a mountain. The odds are you will find some grow. The habitat to look out for is one which is wet to damp all year round. Grab a hand full (no one will notice its gone unless you get caught grabbing the handful) and put it on top of some gravel in a basin of shallow water. Full sun and off you go: endless supply of live moss.

At least thats what works for me. I pot all my Disa in live moss only. So far 75 success rate which beats 0% in the suggested mediums.

cuthbertsonii needs cool conditions and the leaves kept dry but lots of moisture at the roots. So is that what you're suggesting? I am still waiting for them but they are seedlings that have come from flask. I think I am getting 3 plants so it gives me a little room to experiment with conditions.

Seeing you are suggesting similar conditions to cuthbertsonii, are you suggesting similar conditions to Masdevallia and Dracula then?

Thanks, this is most interesting.

The conditions can be also similar to cool growing Dracula and Masdevallia.
Usually this conditions are not very easy to reproduce for the unusual mix of light/temperature/humidity/wind.
You have to have a place with very good air movement but also high humidity...and is not easy..but more difficult:
Good light with not high day temperatures...(25-27C° maximum).
I will grow them indoor with fluocompact lights,in S/H with a dedicated slow fan attached to ionizer to give humidity.

I had the lucky experience to see Paph topperii in the wild.Everywhere you can find that topperii is a hot grower....not true...in the night was cool(8-10C°) and for ooii will be the same in the cooler part of the year.
But,as topperii is 1300-1400 m,in the day get higher temperatures.
P.ooii is 2000 m so cooler days.Also the colour and intensity of light have to be different.
Paph. topperii takes untill 12 AM full sun,and so needs more "red colour light"..
P.ooii grows more under other plants,in a mix of full and shaded sun,so needs more blue light.This is very important for the Co2 metabolism,because the plants use to regulate the stomatal cycle also based on light and not only on temperatures and humidity.
Blue light seems to help plant to open stomata and so help plant breathing faster and growing faster,if have enought Co2 and humidity.

valenzino, I grow Masdevallias outside for most of the year so the conditions should suit. It's difficult getting humidity up in my dry climate but they do ok. I can keep temps at 8C and above so this should be ok, I will keep them drier during the winter. In winter I have them under 70% white shade cloth and summer I have two layers of 70% white shade cloth, hopefully that will do ok. During hot days I bring them inside into a cool home.

I think many plants can be grown differently to the recommended levels you see often in books. This has been really enlightening, thank you for all your advice.

The keypoint with ooii and with sanderianum is that if the plants are not collected at the proper time of the year, it is a massive screwup to establish them.

Many people were buying jungle sanderianum in october-november in Europe. If they have greenhouses and the temperature really goes down, the plants are sentenced to death, they are unable to root...

Ooii must be kept extremely wet to establish, but with high rates of fungicides, otherwise the remaining roots will be attacked by fungus or worse, bacterias. Second, ooii roots at specific time of the year, if the plant has 1 mature + 1 new growth, it will not root, the growths root only when they are about 1/5 to 1/4 the size of the mature growth, the same story that happened to thousands of jungle paph stonei sold over the last 30 years... Seedlings should be easier to grow, if they are genuine, which remains to be proven.

I have seen only very few pictures of ooii, and suspect only a handful of people have ever bloomed ooii, so if you get a flask, ask if you can get picture of the parents...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back