How to Bring my Paphs. through a Vacation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpari

Reaction score
I will be vacationing in Costa Rica for two weeks. I have no one to take care of my Paphs. Can I sit them in a saucer of water while I am gone so that they do not dry out? Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

For a 2 week duration, sitting in a tray of water should be fine. I would not let Phals, Catts, or other virus-prone genera to sit in the same water source however.

I was away for 2 weeks in March and this system worked for me. I grow my plants under lights and several plants share a 1 foot x 2 foot tray. I sprayed the plants with Physan 20 on the morning 2 days before we left. I watered the plants well the morning of the day before we left. On the day we were leaving, I put the plants in clear plastic dry cleaners bags with stakes to keep the plastic from sitting on the plants, flowers or flower spikes, 1 bag for each tray. I decreased the lights to 8 hours a day. When we returned, 2 plants in 3" pots were quite dry; if I had been at home, I would have watered them a day or 2 earlier; they survived. And the rest were fine. Even the flowers and buds survived. A cattleya opened up while we were away. What a surprise to come home to such pretty flowers! Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back