Round fungus spots attacking my Paphs. If some of you have insights on a durable solution.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used two - Inocucor Garden Solution, now sold as Synergro, I think, and Quantum-Total - but with good results and no negatives, other than the smell.

I wonder if some preventive probiotic treatments (Bacillus or Trichoderma) would be a solution here.
Most likely not, not because they are not useful, simply because the problem is very serious.

And the plant is already infected, these treatments are preventive

The pathogen is in the immediate environment ...., but if you periodically disinfect the shade house structure, benches and floor, and kill it in/on your plants, splashing rain drops will have less of a chance of spreading it back to the plants.
Last week I was visiting a collector of semi-terrestrial species. He is an elderly man, very friendly. Sadly over the years his greenhouse has deteriorated.

It is located at 1500 masl, with a daily humidity of 100%, and a cold-temperate climate.

The polycarbonate roof has fallen down, and has left the Phrags and Paphs exposed to the open air, lately he only has a shade net over them to avoid direct rain on the plants.

And just there, I remembered your thread, as his plants have exactly the same symptoms and brown wounds as yours, mostly the Paphs.

As Mr Ray said, it may be the environment that is so deteriorated and damp. Maybe some of the iron is dripping rust onto the leaves, or the water is too much soaking into the leaves.

As you can see in the photos there are also a lot of dead plants, and although it is a large space there is very little air movement.

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-08 a las 17.07.45_70df31bc.jpg

Most likely not, not because they are not useful, simply because the problem is very serious.

And the plant is already infected, these treatments are preventive
Probiotic treatments can be curative. The trick is finding the microbe that attacks the pathogen at issue, which is why complex consortia are preferred. Sort of the "shotgun" approach versus "the rifle" of a single species that may-, or may not be properly aimed.

Thank you Mr. Ray, for the correction đź‘Ť.

I was talking to an agronomist who also grows and hybridizes Catleyas, about this issue, he mentions that although they are very profitable, they must be applied weekly in the irrigation, due to the airy and loose substrate of the plants.

I was talking to an agronomist who also grows and hybridizes Catleyas, about this issue, he mentions that although they are very profitable, they must be applied weekly in the irrigation, due to the airy and loose substrate of the plants.
I am currently using Quantum-Total. I apply it at about a 1.5-2% dilution every 3 or 4 weeks.

The microbes populate both the media and the plants, so the idea is to maintain a strong population by periodically dose them for reinforcement. Letting the potting media dry definitely reduces the viability of the microbes, but I don’t allow that to happen.

Make sure you are providing enough airflow to prevent the leaves from staying wet for too long. That can help prevent future issues.

For what it's worth the plants might also be stressed as your media looks pretty small and dense which can lead the plant to be too wet for too long.

Back