Culture of Phrags that like it drier

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, as someone who is fairly new to Phrags I have a question about culture of those that I understand like it a bit on the drier side, e.g., caudatum, exstaminodium, etc.

I have been moving all of my new acquisitions into plastic (Rand) pots with a mixture of Leca and Grodan cubes. Not S/H culture. I typically let the very top dry slightly before drenching again- about 2-3 x week with smaller pots and 1-2 x week with larger (5”). At this point they all seem to be doing well- rooting, new growth, spikes,

I’ve recently acquired some species that I understand like to dry a bit between waterings and am wondering if they can also be grown with Leca and Grodan.

Are any of you growing the species / hybrids that like it on the drier side in a Leca/Grodan medium?

And if there are any species other than those I’ve mentioned which I should avoid planting in Leca/Grodan that would be helpful info as well. I’m on a Phrag buying binge currently:)

Hi! I just started growing Phrags again and am trying the rock wool/perlite mix Orchids Ltd uses on my besseae species and hybrids but sticking with bark for now with my two long petals types because of them preferring it dryer. I’ve already had a rot issue with a growth on one (likely started with shipping.).

Also, make sure you have plenty of air flow. I think that was my issue with the rot continuing after I potted it up.

I’m pretty new back to this so time will tell how things go…

I think the real concern is more air:water ratio than it is wet or dry.

As far as I (and my plants are concerned), nothing “needs” to be dry - water is 95-99% of the plant and is the driving for for growth - it just needs more air.

Hi! I just started growing Phrags again and am trying the rock wool/perlite mix Orchids Ltd uses on my besseae species and hybrids but sticking with bark for now with my two long petals types because of them preferring it dryer. I’ve already had a rot issue with a growth on one (likely started with shipping.).

Also, make sure you have plenty of air flow. I think that was my issue with the rot continuing after I potted it up.

I’m pretty new back to this so time will tell how things go…
Thanks, Heather. Yes, it’s most of the long petal types that I’ve been questioning using rock wool and Leca on. I’ve already transplanted a few into it- I’ll probably let them be unless I begin to see issues with them.

Last edited:
I think the real concern is more air:water ratio than it is wet or dry.

As far as I (and my plants are concerned), nothing “needs” to be dry - water is 95-99% of the plant and is the driving for for growth - it just needs more air.
Understood, Ray. Thinking about it from that point of view - have you seen any issues with there not being enough air:water ratio for the long-petaled types, e.g., caudatum, when planted in a Leca/Grodan mix? I started out with a 50/50 mix but have found myself with more of a 60/40, 70/30 mix because it seemed to be too compacted with the 50/50.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back