Taking the plunge with a top rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve always hankered after growing a nice roth but up to now, I didn’t really have the right conditions. When reading the paph paradise cultural recommendations for multiflorals, they mention that they like Cattleya conditions. Well now with the new growth room, I can do that.
Next up, where to buy one in the UK? After reading Roths comments I didn’t want to get a generic clone and be disappointed.
That is when I saw that Elite had the outstanding paph paradise cross Dark Angel x Howard Martin for sale at a decent size and went for it. Mike Tibbs has posted a stunner from this cross on slippertalk and so has Roth.
It’s growing in rockwool cubes. Anybody here grow their multiflorals in it and could give some tips? It will receive half rate rain mix for the foreseeable future maybe once a week. It won’t dry out like the catts. If it doesn’t progress, I’ll change to a bark compost in the spring.
Currently the LEDs are on for 12 hours and the temperatures are around 24c during the day and 18 at night. They will go up a bit in the summer. The humidity isn’t an issue in Cornwall and there is a fan running with the lights. The adjacent room has a window open a crack that allows in some fresh air 24/7 and this also helps the night temperatures to drop.
IMG_1530.jpeg
David

Use an urea based fertilizer to grow them, MSU/Rainmix will stunt them. That's the same batch as the one posted in flower actually, and it definitely comes from Paph Paradise.

I’ve always hankered after growing a nice roth but up to now, I didn’t really have the right conditions. When reading the paph paradise cultural recommendations for multiflorals, they mention that they like Cattleya conditions. Well now with the new growth room, I can do that.
Next up, where to buy one in the UK? After reading Roths comments I didn’t want to get a generic clone and be disappointed.
That is when I saw that Elite had the outstanding paph paradise cross Dark Angel x Howard Martin for sale at a decent size and went for it. Mike Tibbs has posted a stunner from this cross on slippertalk and so has Roth.
It’s growing in rockwool cubes. Anybody here grow their multiflorals in it and could give some tips? It will receive half rate rain mix for the foreseeable future maybe once a week. It won’t dry out like the catts. If it doesn’t progress, I’ll change to a bark compost in the spring.
Currently the LEDs are on for 12 hours and the temperatures are around 24c during the day and 18 at night. They will go up a bit in the summer. The humidity isn’t an issue in Cornwall and there is a fan running with the lights. The adjacent room has a window open a crack that allows in some fresh air 24/7 and this also helps the night temperatures to drop.
View attachment 45422
David
I have one heritage roth and a phillipinense growing very well since 2018 in south windows — right in the window — and blooming every 2nd year. I use K-Lite. Let’s of oyster shell in the mix.

I’ve got the same one from Paph Paradise. It’s weird looking at your photo because it looks just like mine! 😂. I have a couple of the other roths from Paph Paradise of about the same age. All are doing really well.
I’ve also got several of those apparently “questionable” crosses from Orchid Inn-that’s when I took the plunge originally. They seem to be doing well also but the leaves look very different from the Paph Paradise bunch. Except for the King Kong X Humongous that was a bonus plant. That one has been the best of the Orchid Inn group and it was a bonus plant.
I guess time will tell once they finally bloom.

What about K-lite?

Rothschildianum need a lot of potassium to grow well... So K Lite would not be an option if you want to get a true clump with dark green leaves. Actually they bloom every 6 months max 1 year here in my conditions...

I’ve ordered some peters 20-20-20 and already have some maxi crop. Will try with alternating these two for a while, as the EYOF do for their paphs, as you said in one of your papers, Roth.
@Roth @monocotman can you please point me to these papers, is there a link to another thread or website? Curious to learn more about Urea based fert and if this is limited to only paphs. I rotate in Maxsea 16-16-16 in the summer. This fert contains urea as its mentioned on the label, also recommended for carnivorous plants but looks like you already tracked one down.

@Roth @monocotman can you please point me to these papers, is there a link to another thread or website? Curious to learn more about Urea based fert and if this is limited to only paphs. I rotate in Maxsea 16-16-16 in the summer. This fert contains urea as its mentioned on the label, also recommended for carnivorous plants but looks like you already tracked one down.

https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paphiopedilum-culture-and-propagation.49134/

I primarily grow Paphs but I use the same formula for the rest of my plants with excellent results.

Latest posts

Back