cyps in pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

just been told by the breeder that the two white cyps are macranthos var rebunense. Fantastic result!
I thought rebunense only occurred as a cream form but apparently not.
Anyway they're impossible to find unless you import them from Japan like Berthold.
Fingers crossed they continue to grow - there is a temptation to put a pod on one of them but they're pretty small plants. Maybe wait a bit,

Regards,

David

Hello, my plant are real rebunense, which was imported from Japan, same division was flowered in the last week in Germany, was proved 100% pure rebunense(sorry can not upload picture before permission). Rebunense is a very special variety of mactanthum, with heavy leaves(even I doubt it is Polyploid). I saw some websites labeled ordinary white or yellow form of macranthum as rebunense, of course I can understand they really want to own it.
Please check book DIE ORCHIDEENGATTUNG CYPRIPEDIUM by W.ECCARIUS, page 181, for ordinery yellow form of macranthum.

Attachments

• QQ??20120519090356.jpg
    QQ??20120519090356.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 23
  • QQ??20120519090410.jpg
    QQ??20120519090410.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 30
rebunense?

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.
I also have doubts about my plant.
The ovary is hairy - not usual in macranthos.
But it looks like the rebunense alba photos on the crustacare web site.
Maybe I need to dig a bit further!
The rate of groth of the plants is also more like ventricosum than macranthos.

Regards,

David

rebunense and more photos

Hi,

thanks for the comments.
I'll check on the origin of the parent(s) of my plant.
Reading up in Cribb and elsewhere it does look like a form of ventricosum.
No worries. Pure white ventricosums seem to be quite rare.
The only thing that doesn't say 'ventricosum' is the length of the stem at the base of the staminode.
If you check out Werner Frosch's web site he suggest that an important distinguishing feature between ventricosum and macranthos is the the length of this stem. This plant has a very small stem much more like macranthos than ventricosum.
However with the introgression between these two in the far east it isn't surprising that the waters are pretty muddy.
Four new cyps currently flowering.
Achim is pubescens x froschii. Flowers have variable colour even on the same plant. This is almost peachy but others are more reddish.
Next is a 2nd clone of Sunny and quite different. Petals are deeper brown, the lip is paler and the plant much smaller.
Ventricosum pale is a newish grex from Michael Wienert. Vigorous sturdy plants and good sized flowers.
Last is a nice clone of tibeticum with large flowers. Growing well now with twelve stems though only four are flowering,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• achim 1.jpg
    achim 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • sunny 2.jpg
    sunny 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 18
  • ventricosum pale 1.jpg
    ventricosum pale 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
  • tibeticum 1.jpg
    tibeticum 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 22
All lf them are great, an impressive achievement. I particularly like the last-posted Sunny, with the dark petals and wide stance.

I have a half-dozen cyps in a bed in my backyard here in Ohio that are doing fairly well for me. Can you tell us about your fertilizer and fertilizing regimen?

fertilizer

I feed the hybrid cyps with full strength fertilizer ( garden centre white powder - nothing fancy). Species receive quarter strength.
I start just as they wake up in March and then every couple of weeks until they've become dormant.
Later in the summer I sometimes use high potash tomato food to encourage the roots.
This year they'll also receive the odd feed of epsom salts.
Sometimes the new shoots in spring are a bit yellow and I'm trying to recify this with the salts.
It isn't very scientific - I don't measure conductivity. I try to use rain water when I can for feeding but if I haven't enough I don't stress over it and they receive hard tap water instead,
Regards,
David

a few more

Hi,
A few more flowering today.
A nice Aki with lots of fine lines in the flower.
Next up Lucy Pinkepank( kentuckiense x tibeticum).
Huge flowers and a bit of a bulbous lip but an impressive sight.
Last is Pixi ( calceolus x tibeticum). Darkest hybrid yet and the plant reaching full size with 25 stems. Stems are quite short,
Regards,
David

Attachments

• aki 1.jpg
    aki 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
  • lucy P 1.jpg
    lucy P 1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Lucy P 2.jpg
    Lucy P 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Pixi 1.jpg
    Pixi 1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Pixi 2.jpg
    Pixi 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
A great show of flowers Lucy is now on my wishlist

Has anyone Tibeticum pollen, mine are finished with flower

Tom,
it has become clear to me over the years just how much cyp flowers 'improve' as the plants mature.
They get much bigger and the colour increases in depth and intensity.
Just as much as for example, a hybrid paph.
They can also vary from year to year.
Last year this clone had flowers of a dirty pale purple - not at all nice.
This year they're a good dark red.
I pretty much disregard any flowers until a plant is well established,
Regards,
David

three kentuckiense hybrids

Hi,

a trio of closely related kentuckiense hybrids.
First up is Dietrich made with calceolus. A mature plant with most stems having two flowers. This plant can put out quite a good scent in the right conditions.
Next are Rascal made with parviflorum var parviflorum and Lothar Pinkepank with parviflorum var pubescens. The flowers are very similar, the only difference being the flower size - Lothar is larger.
Both have amazing twisted petals.
The lip of these two is a much deeper yellow than Dietrich.
The final photo is all three with Rascal on the left,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• Dietrich 1.jpg
    Dietrich 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 31
  • Rascal 1.jpg
    Rascal 1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Lothar Pinkepank.jpg
    Lothar Pinkepank.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • yellow group.jpg
    yellow group.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 26
last of the season

Hi,
last three of the season.
First up is, as expected, kentuckiense. A nice clone with big flowers. The lip is a deeper yellow than shown, I find it difficult to get yellow lips to show up well.
Four stems and six flowers- a good result.
Next up is reginae alba, a seedling flowering for the first time. Always good to see a new plant flowering correctly. The flower is amost pure alba - only a few yellow spots in the labellum.
Lastly we have a new unregistered hybrid, Emil x kentuckiense. The flowers are pretty much as you'd expect from the parents and very similar to the cross Rascal, but with slightly larger flowers,
Regards,
David

Attachments

• kentuckiense 1.jpg
    kentuckiense 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
  • kentuckiense 2.jpg
    kentuckiense 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 12
  • reginae alba 1.jpg
    reginae alba 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19