cyps in pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice flowering plant.

I know that soem guys sell such plants as froschii, if you loo in the new book of Eccarius he calls the tibeticum var. froschii.

I had one liek it was shown on frosch side, but it was kiklled in the pot by a cat over the winter, she used it as a toilet and i did not get notice, when I saw it, the plant was nearly full rotten, and it was gone.

This form has been sold in the UK for a few years and I don't know whether it is the true species or something else like froschii or franchetti.
Maybe Tom can comment?

Hey David,

Wow, that is a beauty whatever you want to call it :D and grown again to perfection. You really are good at growing Cyps.

As to the name, I think Dieter is correct, this one wouldn't fall into the type known as C. froschii. As you know, C. tibeticum is a highly variable species and you could split it into many varieties based on flower type and vegetative characteristics. Dr. Holger Perner told me some years ago that he no longer thought that C. froschii deserved species status, but rather was a variety of C. tibeticum.

In nature C. froschii is found in woodland areas while the more common C. tibeticum varieties typically grow in scrubby areas or open grassland. He felt therefore that C. froschii is either an ecotype of C. tibeticum or perhaps deserved varietal status. At the time he was writing a series of papers on the entire section Macrantha and he commented something like, "actually, it may be that all members of Macrantha are really just all one species, C. macranthos, or perhaps two - C. macranthos and C. tibeticum."

Ah, lumping and splitting :sob:

tibeticum variation

Hi guys,

thanks for all the comments.
So maybe the pot label is correct and it is a form of tibeticum.
This plant was received over winter and is still establishing, so should do
better next year,

Regards,

David

Hate this thing too,
my wife said she was not seen for a long time so who knows where she did go.....

cyp set up

Hi guys,
a couple of photos to show the current 'home made' set up.
The plants are housed on benching on the north side of the greenhouse.
This helps to keep the plants shaded and also saves my back when I inspect them whilst they flower.
After this they'll spend the summer under a sycamore tree.
They are surrounded on three sides by greenhouse shading mesh. This keeps off the worst of the wind as well as sun.
April in the UK has been extremely wet and windy - we are making up for the previous 18 months which were the driest ever, so this mesh has really helped save the plants from a battering.
Apparently it is quite likely that this April will have a lower average temperature than March, which was relatively dry and sunny.
So far no problems with rot of any kind despite the plants being wet for most of the month.
Regards,
David

Attachments

• cyp set up 1.jpg
    cyp set up 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
  • cyp group1.jpg
    cyp group1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 29
Sabine 'alba'

Hi,

after an awful wet and cold April we're hoping for better May weather.
No weather station registered 20 degrees anywhere in the UK in the whole of the month. It was also the wettest April since 1910.
I was worried that there would be some rot in the cyps but they're fine, just very slow. Last year at this time was the peak flowering for the collection.
A fine grex from Michael Wienert and about my favourite of the newer crosses, Sabine alba ( fasciolatum x macranthos alba) seems to be a good doer with large flowers that open cream and fade to white like paph. Amarni white. Just at touch of colour at the base of the petals.
Only the third time its flowered and already seven blooms.
It should make a nice potful over the next couple of years. The flowers are just opening after yet another windy and wet night.
Because of this I've had to stake some of the weaker stemmed plants - all parviflorum crosses - Michael, Ingrid and Hank Small,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• sabine alba plant.jpg
    sabine alba plant.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 27
  • sabine alba 2.jpg
    sabine alba 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 17
Nice and great plant and great color congrats on that one.

Some kinds are really strange here this year.

a conundrum - not Florence

Tom - for me Sabine pastel has much more impact than the normal form.
A real winner.
I have a puzzle for you.
Next up is a plant I bought as an unflowered seedling from the grex 'Florence' - Gisela x fasciolatum.
When it first flowered in 2010 it was obviously wrong.
It may have fasciolatum as one parent but what about the other?
The flowers are becoming darker every year as the plant matures.
They were so pale to begin with that I thought at first it was Ursel - fasciolatum x henryi, but now I'm beginning to think that it is Gabriela( fasciolatum x kentuckiense)
It could be Sunny (fasciolatum x calceolus) but the flowers are larger with much longer,paler petals than my other plants of Sunny.
Take a look at the side view of the individual flower - it has the outline of kentuckiense to me.
Anyway, whatever it is, the plant is super vigorous and approaching maturity - this is only the third year of flowering and already 15 growths with 12 flowers. For scale, the pot it is currently growing in is substantial - about 10 inches across,
Regards,
David

Attachments

• not florence 1.jpg
    not florence 1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • not florence 3.jpg
    not florence 3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
  • not florence 2.jpg
    not florence 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15
  • not florence 4.jpg
    not florence 4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
A nice one look like Gabriela too me.
if you look on the pics.
Mine are to small, will need 2 or 3 years to flower

Too my eyes there is no doubt that one parent is fasciolatum and another kentuckiense (the dorsal is a give away), which would indeed be Gabriela. I guess there is an outside shot it is a complex hybrid, but I doubt it. Lovely, lovely flower and an awesome plant.

Man, that plant is growing so well - you make me jealous :rollhappy:

sunny

Hi,

a few photos of Sunny( fasciolatum x calceolus).
A really vigorous grower with lovely foliage - deep green.

Regards,

David

Attachments

• sunny plant 97 1.jpg
    sunny plant 97 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18
  • sunny plant 97 2.jpg
    sunny plant 97 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
  • sunny flower 97.jpg
    sunny flower 97.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 15
dividing cyps

Tom - that is the question.
This plant has been divided once already.
I have 2 other divisions.
I plan to let it get big and see what happens.
The breeder of this grex let the plants get so big they needed to be grown in polystyrene fish boxes.
I know Michael Wienert tells you to split them when they go past 10 growths but does that hold when they're grown in perlite and pots?
Regards,
David

Latest posts

Back