cyps in pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

all the pots now out of the garage from their winter rest and starting to grow. The fasciolatum hybrid are the early group the the middle ( Sunny, Inge, Ursel) with well developed shoots.
I've taken the benching out of the greenhouse and placed the plants on these for the flowering period. I don't like bending over to look at the plants!
They are growing on the north side of the greenhouse and some shade netting will be used to protect them from sun and wind.
After the extreme cold of the previous winter I'm glad that this one has been easier on these plants. No losses. Several plants have increased very well.
Sunny has increased from 13 to 23 shoots and Bill and Maria from 1 to 4 shoots.
The plants were fed rather haphazardly last summer and I think that plant development is overwhelmingly affected by summer temperatures. We had a cool summer after a warm dry spring and this really helped the plants. No real heat stress for all of the growing season,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• cyp pots 1.jpg
    cyp pots 1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 72
a couple more photos

Hi,

eric - make sure you try the more warm tolerant species or hybrids.
I seem to remember that Tom has been trialling some over in the land of the rising sun.
I know that we see rather alot of photos of new cyp shoots at this time of year but here are just a couple following on from the first post.
The first photo shows some 'early' hybrids, mostly fasciolatum crosses - Sunny, Inge, Sabine, plus Michael, Michael alba and Hank Small.
Next up is super vigorous Sunny - this plant was split in winter 2009 and is now back up to a potful.
As I now have a small division of this as insurance, it will not be split again for some time and we'll see just how big it can get,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• early hybrids 2012.jpg
    early hybrids 2012.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 48
  • sunny 1.jpg
    sunny 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 52
Nice pcis as every year, impresive developing.
At me it looks the same for some kinds, have more then doubled.
Some Michaels will have 4+ spikes.
Have a cyp with 2 prowth coming out of one nose,never happend before for me.
So beside the winter last year was a goo growing seasn, still waiting on some to come out.

make yourself some 'cyp pots' that were talked about here somewhere a few months ago; pot in a pot, outside pot is clay, in between is moisture loving material so the evaporation keeps the insides cool. i'm tempted to try this with some cool masdies that never like my summer conditions (though my summer conditions may be cooler here on the first floor instead of the second)

It might be hard since I plan on putting them outside! :p

What!? Not on the stove? :rollhappy:

David, I look forward to photos of them in flower. You are growing them to perfection. Honestly, my feeling now is that Cyps will not do well in the ground overtime, but need to be pot grown or in special beds (I would use raised ones) where you can manipulate conditions easily. In the ground they seem to be very problematic - growing well for a time only to go into decline quickly. If you live in a truly cool summer climate in-ground growing seems more possible - say northern Europe or the northern tier states in the USA and adjacent Canada.

I've all but given up on growing Cyps in this hot climate. I wish for a climate more like NYC to grow them! Summers here are brutal and fall is long and warm...not good for Cyps. Then again, C. japonicum and C. formosanum both do well - those are the true heat tolerant species.

So I'm on a NC speaking tour, and was at the Triangle OS (Doris Duke Gardens, Durham) last night, and was approached by a guy telling me he grow C. pubescens in S/H culture!!!

make yourself some 'cyp pots' that were talked about here somewhere a few months ago; pot in a pot, outside pot is clay, in between is moisture loving material so the evaporation keeps the insides cool. i'm tempted to try this with some cool masdies that never like my summer conditions (though my summer conditions may be cooler here on the first floor instead of the second)

If you search for "zeer pot" or "pop in pot cooler" you get the results that your looking for.

Hi Dave (and others),
I noticed for your pots you use "clay balls" (Hydroton or Hydroleca, or terra-lite) for your cyps. I've been using a mixture of Soil Perfector, Turface, and coarse perlite. I use clay balls for my dendrobiums (semi-hydroponic). Anyone have advice on using "clay balls" vs other inert media? Last summer in Washington DC, it got really hot (over 90 F for weeks); I'm hoping the "clay balls" retain moisture better and help with evaporative cooling.

Hi,

eric - make sure you try the more warm tolerant species or hybrids.
I seem to remember that Tom has been trialling some over in the land of the rising sun.
I know that we see rather alot of photos of new cyp shoots at this time of year but here are just a couple following on from the first post.
The first photo shows some 'early' hybrids, mostly fasciolatum crosses - Sunny, Inge, Sabine, plus Michael, Michael alba and Hank Small.
Next up is super vigorous Sunny - this plant was split in winter 2009 and is now back up to a potful.
As I now have a small division of this as insurance, it will not be split again for some time and we'll see just how big it can get,

Regards,

David

clay balls

Hi Linus,

I used to add clay balls to the cyp mix but now use the same compost for all cyps - 90% super coarse perlite plus a bit of orchid compost.
The clay balls you see are a 'top dressing' to help mulch the pots. It looks better than perlite, seems to stop slugs, reduces water loss and stops the perlite blowing away or sloshing out of the pots when I water.
I was also told that they release a bit of nitrogen into any water you use,
Regards,
David

first flower of the season - tibeticum 'light'

Hi,

In common with the rest of the UK we've been battered with winds and rain for a few days so I took this plant into the greenhouse and staked it to get a decent photo.
Nice vigorous plant with a good sized flower though not as big as some tibeticums can get.
But it is early and much taller than others of the species - this flower is a foot off the ground.
This form has been sold in the UK for a few years and I don't know whether it is the true species or something else like froschii or franchetti.
Maybe Tom can comment?

Regards,

David

Attachments

• tibeticum light 1.jpg
    tibeticum light 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 35
  • tibeticum light 2.jpg
    tibeticum light 2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back