cyps in pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philipp alba

Tom,

have you ever seen this grex for sale?
I know you like big white flowers and this seems to be a bit of a no brainer cross to make.
Big white(ish) flowers on tall stems - very nice.
With Michael alba, Sabine alba already for sale, I would have expected this one to be next, but so far nothing anywhere as far as I can see.
I was planning on making a couple of species crosses with the macranthos semi albas I grow but despite growing well they've both aborted their flower buds this year.
A Sabine or Philipp semi alba would cause a stir!

Regards,

David

hey,
that would make sense to me,
when using "kentuckiense alba". (pur yellow flower)

unfortunately I only have some 2year old seedlings,
not yet flowering size :(

so I must wait to "serve" you ;)

cheers

general view and some wrong-un's.

Hi,

the temperatures have perked up a bit in the UK this week and the plants have really grown quickly.
Large plants across the back are Gabriela, Inge, Sunny and Michael.
The yellow flower is supposed to be aki light but I have my doubts. Too yellow.
It may be a x ventricosum.
Next up is a proper mistake. Supposed to be two seedlings from macranthos 'red russian' - a deep coloured form.
So far no trace of colour so they could be macranthos alba or ventricosum alba.
Luckily I like them both,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• cyps general view 2.jpg
    cyps general view 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 23
  • aki light 2.jpg
    aki light 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
  • not macranthos red russian 2.jpg
    not macranthos red russian 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 17
Tom,

have you ever seen this grex for sale?
I know you like big white flowers and this seems to be a bit of a no brainer cross to make.
Big white(ish) flowers on tall stems - very nice.
With Michael alba, Sabine alba already for sale, I would have expected this one to be next, but so far nothing anywhere as far as I can see.
I was planning on making a couple of species crosses with the macranthos semi albas I grow but despite growing well they've both aborted their flower buds this year.
A Sabine or Philipp semi alba would cause a stir!

Regards,

David

Hey David, I've not seen Sunny in person. It was first touted as looking like an oversized C. calceolus, but the paler ones seem to be fairly common as well.

I do like white flowers, but there is a limit to that as well. As for all the pale flowered forms coming out, it is interesting to me that they seem to be mostly C. macranthos hybrids. I've wondered about this - what is going on genetically to produce "alba" (white) flowers? Think about C. x ventricosum and its variation - pure whites, near whites, yellows, pinks, bicolored, and the whole gambit of purple. One wonders where the white came from? It seems unlikely that C. calceolus had anything to do with it. You see the same pattern with artificially produced C. macranthos hybrids - Aki, Brigit, Sabine, Michael, x ventricosum, and even C. macranthos 'alba' (is it really a pure species or just the result of a hybrid swam).

By comparison you don't hear much about alba flowers in other section Macrantha species, tibeticum, franchetii, calcicolum, etc. I wonder, have you heard of any C. tibeticum hybrids coming out pale? All the ones I can think of are very dark, for example Pixi and recently I saw a pic of C. candidum x C. tibeticum -again, very dark.

thats correct Tom,
most are very deep color, but there is an exception.

just look at the picture of Cyp. Xwenqingiae.

if the analysis is correct with the parents, THIS is a fairly pale plant,
but up to now I only know this single picture:

http://www.w-frosch.de/Cypris/Hybriden/wenqi.htm

I posted a picture of a new yet unregistered hybrid
of montanum X tibeticum in my thread,
and indeed this too is fairly dark color.

cheers

Hi,

the temperatures have perked up a bit in the UK this week and the plants have really grown quickly.
Large plants across the back are Gabriela, Inge, Sunny and Michael.
The yellow flower is supposed to be aki light but I have my doubts. Too yellow.
It may be a x ventricosum.
Next up is a proper mistake. Supposed to be two seedlings from macranthos 'red russian' - a deep coloured form.
So far no trace of colour so they could be macranthos alba or ventricosum alba.
Luckily I like them both,

Regards,

David

Hello David,

The Color intensity ( deep coloured ) is dependent with temperature.

Tom - I suggest that the current new alba hybrids are all macranthos alba crosses with PALE coloured species - michael is with Henryi, sabine is with fasciolatum,birgit is with cordigerum.
All these species are quite pale in colour with little anthocyanin.
When crossed with a white they generate very little colour.
That is why there are only a few alba hybrids.
With darker flowered species we need alba forms of them before we can produce pale hybrids.
So Philipp needs an alba (or more strictly a non producer of anthocyanin) kentuckiense - there have been a couple of posts of these seen in the wild where the flower has been pure yellow.
In addition the mutation for the alba has to be in the same place in the genome for both alba forms - not very likely, but could happen.
So the chances of producing something like an alba Philipp isn't high, but is possible,
Regards,
David

colour intensity

hakone - I agree that colour intensity in flowers is temperature dependant.
But these flowers have no colour at all and are almost ready to open.
The chances of them being from the clone 'red russian' are zero.
David

David,

macranthos 'red russian' = macranthos Baikalsee ??

Nice flowers congrats.

My alba macranthis has too no flowers all are dry and brown as for many kinds this year.

The winter was sh.... for me here.

a few more

Hi,

Sunny - mature plant in 10 inch pot with great foliage.
Sabine alba - flowers are a bit battered by the rain.
Detail of a spike of michael with 3 flowers - a first this year
Inge flowering for the first time since I nearly killed it when repotting.
It's produced stunted growths for two years,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• sunny mature.jpg
    sunny mature.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Sabine alba plant 97.jpg
    Sabine alba plant 97.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 3 flower Michael.jpg
    3 flower Michael.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Inge plant.jpg
    Inge plant.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 20
Tom - agreed!
The species are nice but mostly very slow and for display purposes the hybrids knock the spots off them.
The range of these will only increase in the future and the prices come down.
For a shady place in the garden I would not even consider species in Europe.
Well possibly reginae.
David

white cyp

Hi,

the two unknown white plants have developed a bit further.
Nice thing is that they are both true albas.
They llok like some form of macranthos alba.
Last photo is the coloured form of Sabine.
Nice enough but there isn't the wow factor you get with
sabine alba,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• white cyp 1.jpg
    white cyp 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
  • white cyp 2.jpg
    white cyp 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 17
  • white cyp 3.jpg
    white cyp 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 8
  • sabine plant.jpg
    sabine plant.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
macranthos var rebunense

Hi,

just been told by the breeder that the two white cyps are macranthos var rebunense. Fantastic result!
I thought rebunense only occurred as a cream form but apparently not.
Anyway they're impossible to find unless you import them from Japan like Berthold.
Fingers crossed they continue to grow - there is a temptation to put a pod on one of them but they're pretty small plants. Maybe wait a bit,

Regards,

David

Hi,

just been told by the breeder that the two white cyps are macranthos var rebunense. Fantastic result!
I thought rebunense only occurred as a cream form but apparently not.
Anyway they're impossible to find unless you import them from Japan like Berthold.
Fingers crossed they continue to grow - there is a temptation to put a pod on one of them but they're pretty small plants. Maybe wait a bit,

Regards,

David

Hey David, those are lovely, but I fear are not the famed rebunatsumorisou of Rebun Island. Their petals are a bit too elongate and flourishing. I'd put them more in the range of C. x ventricosum - one of the types commonly marketed as "manschuricum".

Variety rebunense does indeed have pure white flowered forms as well. Just as Atsumon, the mascot of this lovely flower. Yes, this is the typical insanity of Japanese popular culture rearing its, ah, absurd head.

Latest posts

Back