Young plants blasting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I have had a problem for a while with young plants blasting their buds very early on - when I say young I mean single rosette and first flowering, and the blasting happens very early in bud development. Is this a common observation? I wonder whether this often happens if plants are not very big and therefore their ability to support a flower is in question....

I have thought about whether there are other causes, but I am pretty sure there aren't water drips etc collecting in the leaves. Temperature is fairly stable although it does drop somewhat in Winter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex

Flower loss in immature, first-bloomers is not uncommon, but I have noticed that it is more prevalent when the overall culture is a bit lacking. Lacking in what, you're going to need to analyze yourself.

Thank you, Ray. Some of the affected plants might not have been in excellent health, although I do think some really were...lots of growth, good colour, new shoots etc. As I hinted at in the first post, Winter temps do particularly worry me about my culture though. It is often down around 13 or 14 C at night.

Any abrupt changes, like temp, fert, new potting, air quality, etc.

For temp, it could be watering cold water or hot/cold air blowing.

Thank you, Ray. Some of the affected plants might not have been in excellent health, although I do think some really were...lots of growth, good colour, new shoots etc. As I hinted at in the first post, Winter temps do particularly worry me about my culture though. It is often down around 13 or 14 C at night.

It depends on the species. 13 or 14 is an excellent overnight temp for the great majority of species but probably too warm for some inland Chinese/Burmese species and too cold for island and sea level peninsular species.

Yes, my greenhouse is very small so I can’t really have zones. Instead, I supplement the warmth-loving Sigmatopetalum and multifloral types with bottom heat from propagators, and the cooler-growing types like some Parvis go nearer the window. But, clearly, this arrangement is limited so maybe that’s the problem. I do have some multigrowth Sigmatopetalum budding now and so far these at least seem fine.

Latest posts

Back