What do you look for when selecting a seedling?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carkin

Reaction score
If you have your pick of seedlings and you're only choosing one, what do you look for?
Is it the biggest one? Or is it the colour of the leaves? Intensity or clarity of pattern (on mottled leaves)? What about colour at the base of the leaf, do you look for darker shades?

Thank you guys! I never thought about width of leaves...what does that indicate? Fuller blooms?

Leaf width has some correlation with width of segments in the flower. There is a genetic basis for this - flower parts all evolved as specialized leaves. They share some developmental genes. Selection for broad petals can lead to broad leaves too. If you're looking at a group of same size/age seedlings of similar genetic background - same pod - then it can be worth looking at as a comparison. It doesn't mean much if comparing plants that are not closely related and same size/age.

But the first thing I look at is health - and that doesn't necessarily mean the biggest or greenest. Just that it must look healthy and vigorous. Anything that isn't absolutely thriving as a pampered seedling among a jungle of siblings probably never will.

Another thing that catches my eye is new growth. If it is the optimal stage for repotting I can get it fully adapted to my conditions starting immediately and that will put it ahead of others in the long run.

Seedlings? I have enough problems with blooming sized plants!

I actually love growing seedlings! Yes, it requires patience and there is no guarantee that you will get an exceptional bloom but I just love to grow things! I find it very satisfying to see a little thing become a mature plant, kinda makes me proud that I'm doing something right. :)

I actually love growing seedlings! Yes, it requires patience and there is no guarantee that you will get an exceptional bloom but I just love to grow things! I find it very satisfying to see a little thing become a mature plant, kinda makes me proud that I'm doing something right. :)
I can understand this. I've had the majority of my Paphs since they were young plants (had them for 2-3 years now), and so far, four of them have flowered (my sukh tried to, but I didn't allow it).

What I like the most is comparing pictures I took when I got them home, with what they look like now. It's great to see how much some of them have grown.

Multis, however, I think I prefer NBS or BS, because they are just too slow. :rollhappy:

What about when things go wrong? God willing we should live long enough..

Latest posts

Back