How to pick out the best seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else ascribes to this theory. When picking out the best seedlings from a group of unbloomed seedlings, do you pick one based on certain characteristics?
Me for example, when it comes to Cattleyas I choose the stockier, fatter seedlings with multiple new growths. I pick ones with heavier or wider pseudobulbs with thicker rounder leaves.
Check image.
6433B534-D992-4CD9-B7C4-0D635F631E24.jpeg
I saw this image of a Cattleya walkeriana on e-bay. The front bulb that you see was so short and round. The leaves were shorter, thicker and rounder. Some of the other bulbs were perfectly round. Most walkeriana seedlings are more elongated. I pounced on it.
I have selected a few clones of this species prior with rounder bulbs. The flowers have been better.
The prevalent theory has been that thicker, rounder bulbs produce better flowers on the theory of polyploidy.
I pick some Oncidium seedlings based on multiple, shorter, heftier new growths. I have done the same with some Dendrobiums.
I thought that perhaps this theory of mine would provoke some interesting theories and discussions. Any thoughts??

Here is another clone of walkeriana that came from a plant with very round pseudobulbs with very thick leaves. The flowers actually concealed the vegetative growth.
Unfortunately it bloomed one time, not near a judging session or a show. I never bloomed it again!!!
779B6944-E935-457B-A5EB-5D5E3F063E0D.jpeg

Last example I can find notes for was this clone that flowered from more normal looking leaves and pseudobulbs. It was labeled as Cattleya walkeriana ‘alba’.
CB4C0B34-4A62-4068-8610-2383A2366E3B.jpeg
Like I said, they loved south Florida weather!!

Last example I can find notes for was this clone that flowered from more normal looking leaves and pseudobulbs. It was labeled as Cattleya walkeriana ‘alba’.
View attachment 44196
Like I said, they loved south Florida weather!!
Looking at this one, it makes me think of “walkeriana” ‘Kenny’ FCC/AOS which was later found to be C. Snow Blind

I agree. This Snowblind versus walkeriana controversy went back and forth for quite some time. I should really remember to look it up and see where it sits now in January 2024.

But I think we can agree it is pretty!

Oh yes, I still think that it very well could be a Snowblind but is there any way to say for sure without have it identified? I bought this about 11-12 years ago, gave it to a trusted friend as I left Florida. she is not into AOS judging but just in growing beautiful flowers.
But like I said, when I purchased it it said C. walkeriana "alba" on the label and it bloomed looking like it does here. I never bothered to send it in for a proper ID. I think it came from H & R but I can remember for sure at this point.
It could also be a "Kenny'. Too late now to matter.

Latest posts

Back